Leaving puppy alone

Thread: Leaving puppy alone

Lex
    Lex is offline Junior Member

QuestionLeaving puppy alone

Hello, we're soon to get a lab puppy & are just arranging the logistics of puppy care around work commitments. A few questions for seasoned lab puppy owners:
    - how long can you leave a puppy alone for without human interaction?
    - how old is your dog before it can be left home alone for a full day when you are at work?
    - Is it ok for your puppies pen to include indoor & outdoor space so it can stretch its legs if it wants to?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

for your puppie the rule if thumb for holding their bladder is about an hour per month of age. so for an eight week old pup is about 2-4 hours. it also depends on individual pup. but if you can not get home at lunch for potty breaks and work full days - you must find a friend/neighbor/dog walker to le the puppy out for potty and to stretch their legs.

crate training is highly recommended for a variety of reasons one being it helps with house training.

if you use an ex-pen it should be well braced as the puppy will quickly be big enough to get out/move it/tip it. it needs to gave a place for puppy to nap and if there is absolutelt no way to get the puppy out, a place to potty.

puppies should be safely inside the house when you are away.
    Last edited by Tanya; 08-21-2013 at 07:35 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Good advice from Tanya. What do you mean by indoor and outdoor space? How do you figure to provide both, safely?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lex

Thanks Tanya & BigBrownDog.

We're arranging for there to be either ourselves or friends/family to come & check on the puppy during the day & tend to it's needs for a few hours. I've just been unsure about until what age we need to arrange this for.

We have a very large yard & would like to enclose a small play area that is attached to the back part of our house when he is old enough to be there. How old should the dog be when he moves to being partially outside?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Thanks Tanya & BigBrownDog.

We're arranging for there to be either ourselves or friends/family to come & check on the puppy during the day & tend to it's needs for a few hours. I've just been unsure about until what age we need to arrange this for.

We have a very large yard & would like to enclose a small play area that is attached to the back part of our house when he is old enough to be there. How old should the dog be when he moves to being partially outside?
    My answer to that one is never - but I will qualify that.

Where I live the neighbors are close, a dog that barks will generate a ticket and fine. I also would not be comfortable with the potential for my dog to dig out and be lost/hit by car. And the potential for my dog being let out of the yard by a stranger or someone tossing something over the fence that could hurt him. Or my dog destroying my yard/house/deck because he is bored (as they often do when left outdoors alone).

So - my dogs are indoors when we are not home and when they are outdoors, they are supervised.

It could be that you plan to build a large safe kennel with a concrete slab floor and shelter for your dog which will ensure his safety in your yard. In that case, I'd say 6 months old for periods of time while people are away - that would be acceptable. To leave the dog outdoors while you are home is not. They need companionship.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree wtih the above. dogs are generally pretty happy indoors. They do not usually run around and entertain themselves when we are gone - they sleep.

If you do want to try him outside, when he is old enough (this will depend on the dog, and the kennel). If you build a safe kennel, with a cover, that the dog cannot dig out of or climb out of and if they do not bark all day to disrupt neighbours then you can try it. But some dogs are distracted by birds and sounds and bark bark bark so unless you are in the country that doesn't work well. Not sure what youw ere thinking as far as set-up that would allow the dog in and out of the house?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

The thought that it's better for a dog to be outside alone at some point in time isn't really true in many cases. Labs and dogs in general are social critters and the more stimulated they are the more they will react to that stimulation. thus if the dog is kept in doors with less stimulation he is more likely to chill out, sleep and not get into as much trouble. Out doors there is the potential for a lot more stimulation and thus loneliness. Dogs that I see left alone in their yards outdoors in the area i live in are almost always serial barkers.

Lex

Thanks for the replies. Beerfish you raise a good point & I will definitely consider this.
    I live in the country on the peninsula, and have been waiting until we have the large yard for a dog as it was my understanding they need this space along with a sheltered indoor area (in addition to walks & playtime). This thread has obviously changed my understanding so we will now need to re-think our puppy & dog care plan. We are committed to making whatever adjustments we need to to ensure our puppy & later dog is happy & well cared for.