4-Month Puppy (my first big dog...need some help)

Thread: 4-Month Puppy (my first big dog...need some help)

south0085 is offline Junior Member

Default4-Month Puppy (my first big dog...need some help)

I just got a four month old black lab. She is a great dog and seems to be very smart. She is an outside dog ONLY. I have a wireless fence but until she gets older and “fixed”, I am keeping her in a crate while we are asleep and while we are at work. I exercise her well and I am a responsible owner. But this is my first big dog I’ve ever owned (I’m 29). I’ve had a Boston terrier and a pug, but never a big dog.
    She learned the boundaries of our yard the first night and she won’t dare cross it. Even if I walk to the other side. The first thing I taught her is “come” and she does exceptionally well with that command. Even with my family playing with her in another part of the yard. I began teaching her sit, but she only does it when I have a treat or when I have a tennis ball. Also, she gets up from the “sit” very quickly. I tried to teach “down”, but she gets so excited that she just lifts her rear end up and then it’s over. The impatient part of me expects her to know everything but I’ve only had her 6 days. haha
    My questions are:
    1. Am I teaching commands at the right age?
    2. How can I get her to sit and stay?
    3. When I go inside for a few minutes, she cries and bangs her paws against the garage doors. How can I get her to stop that?
    4. How can I keep her attention like some dogs I see on YouTube? They do everything and don’t move until the owner gives the command. There’s no way I could keep her in a sitting position for more than 10 seconds.
    5. How long does it take to teach these commands?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

is she being crated indoors or outdoors? Is she outside now already? If she is outside, if this a cage type crate or a kennel (bigger?

Teaching boundaries properly takes more than one evening. Please keep at it. She is probably being better about them now as she is "shocked" from teh changes and thus more timid but that will change as time goes by.

Labs are not a good solitary dog. They are family dogs, social dogs. Your puppy will not be happy with a few hours of human interactions a day adn being alone 21-22 hours a day.

1 - training starts day 1
    2 - you first need a soild sit. When you do stay you need to start small - say moving ONE FOOT back and rewarding. Eventually you take baby steps and reward.

4 - she is a baby. you have high expectations. Baby steps. She has the attention span of a gnat right nwo, she's a baby. start with small period of attention and increase slowly over time as she ages.
    5 - How long depends on teh trainer (you), the dog and how often you practice.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Post like this make me mad. Labs are not outside only dogs. Putting a 4 month old outside is like putting a toddler outside in the yard and telling them to amuse themselves. It's just not done.

If I were the breeder who sold you that dog, I would be knocking on your door and taking it away. There are plenty of breeds that want to be outside without human companionship. That's not a lab. You could have adopted a shelter dog with a history of being outside.

But to put a baby outside all the time is just cruel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

You train dogs (at any age) with love, patience, consistancy. You do seem to have pretty high expectations for a 4 month old that you've only had 6 days. I don't want you to feel "attacked" or "ganged up on" because I like to think all are welcome here. But I also question why you would get a 4 month old Lab to keep outside all the time. I find that sad. She's in a crate while you sleep and a crate while you work. I just don't think she's going to be a very happy girl. I also wish you had researched breeds more. Labs are "people" dogs. Assuming you sleep 8 hours a day, work 8 hours a day, with (guessing) 1/2 hour commute to work and back....that's 17 hour a day in the crate. At least. Sad.
    I don't think any breed would enjoy that
    Last edited by KathyArch; 08-12-2013 at 02:21 PM.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Someone please tell me this thread was started to amuse. Granting Gundog's wish for a "good thread" ?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KathyArch View Post
    Someone please tell me this thread was started to amuse. Granting Gundog's wish for a "good thread" ?
    no, many people feel big dogs should be outside. Which is fine if you "work your land" and spend many hours of the day with the dog but otherwise - a lonely life for a social being.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Labs are people dogs. They need to be with their people. They are not a breed to be kept outside all the time. The reason your puppy is scratching at the door is because it wants to be with you, not stuck out in the yard. A 4 month old should never be left unattended, and never crated outside. It sure makes me sad, that this poor little guy faces a life of living outside alone.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Trying to understand your thinking. I assume you kept your small dogs indoors? What is different about the Lab that she is not going to be permitted to live indoors? I have 2 Labs indoors and one small dog. I let the small dog stay inside too.

My Labs would be miserable outside all day and there are 2 of them so they have company. And I am sure my yard would look like the surface of the moon.

Are you crating her outside? How does she get shelter in bad weather?

Please also note - e-fences just don't work to contain some dogs (they blow through them to get at whatever they are chasing and then they don't come home again) and they don't keep other animals out of your yard either. So - other dogs, or larger animals (depending on where you live) could get in and hurt her.

Might be a good idea to reconsider your plan for this dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I pray this post is someone trying to start drama. Labs are not meant to live outside, alone. Had you done any research before getting her you would know this. It makes me sick to think of this poor baby outside, alone. If I leave the room my dogs are in they follow me. I could never imagine putting a 4 month old puppy outside with an e-fence to contain/protect her.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.