5 month old constantly bolts out front door!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 month old constantly bolts out front door!

jojuvan is offline Junior Member

Default5 month old constantly bolts out front door!

Our puppy is finally over the crazy biting fiasco a few months back, now he's new thing is always wanting to get out the front door and RUN! When we are in the house, or in our fenced in back yard he's great. He comes when we call him, he listens, he's good! But if he ever gets out the front door he's GONE! We've had to chase him a few blocks, and most times it takes a lot to get him back. It's usually if he gets distracted by an animal or a person that he'll stop long enough for us to grab him. I'm scared one of these days he'll get hit by a car, or he'll run so far we won't be able to find him.

So my question is... what kind of training can I do that will correct him of this behavior? I'd love him to stay in our yard AND come when we call him. When we do finally catch him we give him a "time out" in his room. I don't want to use an invisible fence or any shock collar system, I just want him to be a good dog and stay in our yard!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Apologies if I missed a previous post but can't you take him to training classes !

Recall and "stop" are two of the first things that are taught !

Tanya is offline Senior Member

this is VERY dangerous behavior.

1 - find and sign up for obedience classes
    2 - train door safety. Google and you will find lots of info. in fact this is so serious if you can<t find anything or it does nto work I would hire a trainer to come to your home to get you started (would only take a few sessions)
    3 - train recall. start now.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jojuvan View Post
    . When we do finally catch him we give him a "time out" in his room. !
    stop this. you are punishing him for doign what you want him to do - come in the house. he is absolutely NOT putting together that he is being punished for running away.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

What Tanya said is very important. In his doggy mind, he's being punished because you caught him. I'd first start with (besides the obvious recall and stop allready disscussed) "WAIT" an owners friend. Teach him in any situation that a door is opened, he is not to go through it until invited. Not only will it keep him safer, it keeps him from crowding and pushing even at a door/time that he is going to go out. He should "SIT" by the door then "WAIT" until you say OK, or whatever term the whole family will use. I know you're thinking easier said then done, but it's not that hard. It took Jack under a week and I am by far no dog trainer. It actually was harder for the wait at the truck door going in or out then the house door. He still forgets sometimes when I open the truck and will jump in before invited. I make him get out, sit back down and try it again. Consistancy and patience, slathered with lots of love. These are things dogs understand

NWS Alpine is offline Junior Member

While you work on training make sure to stay calm and get a high value treat if he does get out again. Chasing him will excite him even more and think it's a game. He will want to run further.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I know someone whose dogs run and when she finally catches them she smacks them. They are really, really hard to catch now. That's not the way to encourage recall, for sure!

Dogs do not equate punishment after the fact with what they did and it has zero effect on improving future behavior.

I train my dogs to come with a key word (sound) and they know whenever I make that sound they get a jackpot reward. They run like maniacs to me when I make that sound.

I agree that you need to be in a class with this puppy.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Having your dog come to you should be a positive experience. Recall can be hard to teach. You need to make coming to you the most wonderful thing ever! Lots of treats and praise when they come. Definately don't punish or you dog won't have any reason to come to you, and may avoid you. I had a baby gate in our front door when Sophie was younger. She still gets loose once in awhile. Someone left the back gate open and she and my son's boxer were long gone. It was dark, and I drove the streets. I finally saw a faint shadow behind a house, got out of the van, open the slider and yelled "Sophie, let's go!" They both came running and hopped in the van. She was so excited to see me, and I had been so scared and I hugged her neck even though she had been into some slimey, stinky yuck! If she had been punished prior, she may not have come to me when I called.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Never open the front door without the dog on a leash.

CallieAndKing is offline Member

I have to say I agree with LuvBrown; until the puppy is trained, never open the door unless you leash him first. My brother lost a beautiful 8 month yellow several years ago. His two daughters, then 14 and 12, opened the front door after school and out ran Sheba. A teenager was driving down their barely used dirt road at about 60 mph; needless to say she was killed instantly and within about 15 seconds of her bolting out that door. The girls witnessed and were inconsolable for days not to mention the "normal" grieving process that one goes through at the loss of a loved pet.

Our Yellow Baby Girl "Dream A Little Dream" born December 16 2014
    Our Chocolate Girl "Kona of the Storm" born August 8 2014
    Our Black Boy "Angus Demetrius" born April 26 2013
    Our Yellow Girl "Calliope" born January 6, 2006
    Our TriPawd "King" - Shelter Rescue born late fall 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast