puppy food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: puppy food

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

Defaultpuppy food

How long do they eat it? I've read 2 years, 1 year and even 6 months. I can't remember how long I kept my previous dog on it but I am sure things have changed in the last 14 years.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

There are some on this JL forum who recommend NOT feeding puppy food formulas at all.

I am not one of them since I go by the scientific nutritional studies published in JAVMA which
    show a decline in incidence of later joint problems with aging.

IIRC, according to developmental studies, the benefit to puppies of feeding tailored nutritional
    formulas declines as they age so, by the age of 12 months, most of the desired benefit will be
    achieved.

So whether you switch at 12 months, 14, 18, ## -- it won't make much difference.

HTH

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

Thanks! I actually did some searching on here (probably should have done that first...) and read some articles. I think I will keep her on it till 12 months and then switch her. There was also some conflicting information on large breed verses regular puppy food. It's as confusing as it is for babies!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

5 - 6 months is a good time to switch to adult food. Labs are NOT large breed dogs and do not require large breed food. I have not used puppy food after 6 months and my dogs are ad healthy as can be. If you would like to look at an excellent example, look at Laura/Labby's dogs, I think her dogs speak for themselves!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure whether you got your lab from a breeder or not, but if so I would ask the breeder since they know what is best for the growth and proper development of their pups! Kai's breeder recommended eukanuba LBP until 9 months, so we're waiting until then. I've heard different things from different people, but I definitely wouldn't wait the 24 months like it states on the bag of food

arlinevg is offline Member

I have done a lot of reading on this and it seems that the criteria cited for determining if you have a large breed dog is if they will be 55 lbs or greater. Given that criteria, most labs, but certainly not all, weigh in that range or greater. The important factor seems to be the calcium to phosphorus ratio and the large breed puppy foods all address this. The thinking used to be that large breeds needed to have less protein and this seems to be debunked now. dogfoodadvisor.com is a good site for researching dog and puppy foods with lots of links to journal articles written by vets, not the dog food industry. Through this website you can also sign up for alerts on dog food recalls, which unfortunately does happen.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I have done a lot of reading on this and it seems that the criteria cited for determining if you have a large breed dog is if they will be 55 lbs or greater.
    I agree with you.

But, there are many members of this JL forum who have long insisted that Labrador Retrievers are NOT Large Breed
    dogs because the Labrador Retriever Club of America's (LRCA's) breed standard says (emphasis added):

"The Labrador Retriever is a strongly built, medium-sized, short-coupled, dog possessing a sound, athletic,
    well-balanced conformation that enables it to function as a retrieving gun dog; the substance and soundness
    to hunt ........"

While all the canine nutritional studies I've ever read in JAVMA (Journal of the American Veterinary Medicine Assoc'n)
    -- and I've read dozens -- define the cutting point for "large breed" dogs as above 25 kg (55 lbs.), the people who insist
    that "Labs are NOT large breed dogs" are not readers of those nutritional studies.

The LRCA breed standard goes on to say:

Size, Proportion and Substance
    Size--The height at the withers for a dog is 22½ to 24½ inches; for a bitch is 21½ to 23½ inches...... Approximate weight
    of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds.

Clearly most Labrador Retrievers are -- in scientific nutritional studies -- considered "Large Breed."

But, just as clearly, among many Just Labrador forum members, Labrador Retrievers will be considered NOT Large Breed.

So people choose to follow either the beliefs of many other JL members or standards of the scientific nutritional community,
    whatever makes them most comfortable. IMO, members of neither group should attack the other as misinformed --
    just decide on which recommendations you're most comfortable with for your Lab and let matters rest there.

JMO

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 08-19-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by arlinevg View Post
    I have done a lot of reading on this and it seems that the criteria cited for determining if you have a large breed dog is if they will be 55 lbs or greater. Given that criteria, most labs, but certainly not all, weigh in that range or greater. The important factor seems to be the calcium to phosphorus ratio and the large breed puppy foods all address this. The thinking used to be that large breeds needed to have less protein and this seems to be debunked now. dogfoodadvisor.com is a good site for researching dog and puppy foods with lots of links to journal articles written by vets, not the dog food industry. Through this website you can also sign up for alerts on dog food recalls, which unfortunately does happen.
    I think height is a better qualifier for "largeness" than weight. Labs when bred to the standard are not large (tall) dogs. There are plenty of short/medium height dogs that hit 55# with ease.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Linda is offline Member

I have two 14 week old Lab pups and my vet said I should most definitely be feeding them a large breed puppy food. She was very adamant about it too. We like the Wellness line of foods as our 9 y.o. yellow Lab has been on Wellness Core Reduced Fat for many years (which gets 5 stars on dogfoodadvisor.com) so we went with Wellness Super5Mix Large Breed Puppy, which gets 4.5 stars, and our vet is very happy with that.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubletrouble25 View Post
    I'm not sure whether you got your lab from a breeder or not, but if so I would ask the breeder since they know what is best for the growth and proper development of their pups! Kai's breeder recommended eukanuba LBP until 9 months, so we're waiting until then. I've heard different things from different people, but I definitely wouldn't wait the 24 months like it states on the bag of food
    Are you aware of the recall of this food just last week? It was posted on the forum if you need the info. The recalls scare me.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast