How to keep neighbors from being able to poison your new puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to keep neighbors from being able to poison your new puppy

George Smith is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow to keep neighbors from being able to poison your new puppy

Hello everybody.
    Little background so you can all understand why I ask this.

I moved to a new neighborhood and seems people are a bit scared of large dogs here, since I have a couple of them and now a new puppy in the family, I believe it would be a good idea to prevent any lunatic from poisoning our puppy.

Personally don't think they would be able to poison my grown dogs as they had professional training and don't eat anything they find on the ground or from stranger's hands, however the puppy never had this training and like most puppies, he's curious and goes anywhere he's called to.

Our pup is only 6 weeks old, never had professional training and the trainer who trained my other two dogs lives close to our former neighborhood, I would have to do many miles back for every training session with him.

Basically this is what I need to know, I need to prevent my puppy from being poisoned and it would be a shame to keep him crated or indoors all the time, it would make the puppy feel inferior to his mates, plus it would be a waste of space since we moved here to have more room outdoors.
    George Smith
    Loki (my son's dog: Golden Retriever, Born 17 September 2010)
    Doddle (Labrador, Born 3 February 2009)
    Buddy (Labrador, Born 24 June 2013)
    Couple useful pages when I was helping train my son's dog golden retriever training tips and golden retriever digging.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I can't imagine ever leaving a 6 week old puppy outdoors unsupervised. I am guessing you are not in the US (where well cared for dogs are not left outside alone most of the time).

A 6 week old puppy should really still be with littermates, but since that ship has sailed, the safest thing is to keep him crated when you can't supervise.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

He sees our other two dogs going somewhere and he follows them.
    Since our front door has a dog door, the grown dogs open it for him and there he goes with his mates. He's not one of those puppies who does too much noise, so while you think hes asleep turns out he went for a walk outside with my other two dogs.

Note: Only he survived, even his mom didn't survived after birth. One of those bad birth stories Well, either way we adopted him and he's being well cared for, my wife looks after him when I'm working and most funny is that both my other dogs seem to act a bit like mom and dad with him.

Guess there is little alternative, only closing the dog door. My other two dogs won't like it very much, patience.
    Last edited by George Smith; 08-03-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    George Smith
    Couple useful pages when I was helping train my son's dog golden retriever training tips and golden retriever digging.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Handysmurf is offline Senior Member

You could install motion activated floodlights all around your yard so that any time someone comes near the house they are exposed in the light. It would be a good idea to have motion activated cameras as well. The sad fact is that if someone is seriously out to hurt your dogs, unless you completely isolate them from the outdoors, they are at risk.

-Mike-
    Paramus, NJ

Would you like to buy a vowel ?

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handysmurf View Post
    You could install motion activated floodlights all around your yard so that any time someone comes near the house they are exposed in the light. It would be a good idea to have motion activated cameras as well. The sad fact is that if someone is seriously out to hurt your dogs, unless you completely isolate them from the outdoors, they are at risk.
    This is a great idea. Like handysmurf said,it might not stop someone if they really wanted to hurt your dog, but the average person would think twice about doing anything. Also, I don't see why anyone would want to hurt your dog, unless they barked a lot (especially in the early morning or middle of the night).

J.R. and June

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would not let a young puppy outside unsupervised. They can get into way too much trouble. The put everything from sticks to rocks in their mouths and eat strange things. I would latch the doggy door and make my older dogs ask to go outside. I would not take the puppy out unless you are there to watch him.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Another idea is to hook a leash to the puppy and the other end to you. I did that with Jack when he was young even though he could not get outside by himself. It's great help for potty training and to keep pup out of trouble. If he's by your side, you always know what he's up to and if he looks like he's going to potty...you can get him outside. I also would never let a puppy outside without close supervision. Not only can they eat nasty stuff, how close are you to a road? My neighbor lost his 4 month old puppy by it getting hit by a car and the puppy was only out of his site for a couple minutes. Your puppy is a baby.
    As far as the neighbors go, it's sad that you think they would try to poison your dogs. Have you talked to them? Have they threatened you? You definately have to keep your dogs safe, I am just being nosey and wondered what brung that specific fear on. Golden Retrievers and Labs usually have reputations as being friendly dogs. Not threatening or even large.

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Definitely agree about not leaving the puppy alone. I should have added it to my first post. They get into everything and you won't be able to know (or stop) them from eating something bad if you are not around. Good luck!

J.R. and June

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Its not real clear to me from your posts just exactly what your situation is - is the entire property fenced? Are you way out in the country with no neighbors close?

If my dogs walked out my front door they would be in extreme danger from cars on the street and they would likely march themselves down the road to the county park (which requires them crossing a very busy road). Obviously all that is pretty dangerous.

If mine head out my back door, they are in a fenced in yard where they can't get into as much trouble - but my neighbors (if they were so inclined) could certainly toss something over the fence for them to eat (poisonous or otherwise).

If I had a 6 week old puppy wandering around in my backyard he could get himself into tremendous trouble eating mulch or rocks or being unintentionally injured by my very large rambunctious adults. It's a sweet notion that your adults are watching out for the puppy, but they can't keep him from getting into trouble. There are a couple of people on this board who had to have abdominal surgery ($$$$) on a small puppy due to ingesting a foreign object that would not pass through the gut. This is an avoidable problem.

I don't think this baby will be feeling "left out" when your adult dogs go outdoors without him. I try hard not to put human thoughts, reactions and feelings onto my dogs because they quite often do not apply. It's anthropomorphism. But - even in the very remote possibility that he might feel left out - keeping him safe and ensuring that he actually gets to grow up is far more important.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

SmileThank you

Quote Originally Posted by Handysmurf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.&JNE View Post
    This is a great idea. Like handysmurf said,it might not stop someone if they really wanted to hurt your dog, but the average person would think twice about doing anything. Also, I don't see why anyone would want to hurt your dog, unless they barked a lot (especially in the early morning or middle of the night).
    That could be an option. Specially since most people are afraid of "legal" problems.
    But if they seriously wanted to hurt them, they could just throw a poisoned piece of treat into the yard and cameras probably won't pick that up.
    They don't bark much at all, only reason I'm trying to prevent this kind of situation is because my parents also had a couple dogs poisoned by meat thrown by some neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    I would not let a young puppy outside unsupervised. They can get into way too much trouble. The put everything from sticks to rocks in their mouths and eat strange things. I would latch the doggy door and make my older dogs ask to go outside. I would not take the puppy out unless you are there to watch him.
    That is what I'm doing for the time being. Keeping all my dogs inside for some time until the puppy learns not to pick things (specially food and treats) from outside his cup and only let them outside when I'm around.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyArch View Post
    Another idea is to hook a leash to the puppy and the other end to you. I did that with Jack when he was young even though he could not get outside by himself. It's great help for potty training and to keep pup out of trouble. If he's by your side, you always know what he's up to and if he looks like he's going to potty...you can get him outside. I also would never let a puppy outside without close supervision. Not only can they eat nasty stuff, how close are you to a road? My neighbor lost his 4 month old puppy by it getting hit by a car and the puppy was only out of his site for a couple minutes. Your puppy is a baby.
    As far as the neighbors go, it's sad that you think they would try to poison your dogs. Have you talked to them? Have they threatened you? You definately have to keep your dogs safe, I am just being nosey and wondered what brung that specific fear on. Golden Retrievers and Labs usually have reputations as being friendly dogs. Not threatening or even large.
    Hooking him to me is a good idea. Road won't be a problem, unless the puppy suddenly learns how to fly over the yard wall and makes it to the road.
    My neighbors haven't threatened anybody, but they give that weird look at my dogs. That kinda look that when you notice it, doesn't give you a warm welcome to the neighbor.
    It would be unlikely they could poison my grown dogs, as I've said they only eat from my hand or from their cup. I'm not saying that it is likely, but I'm saying that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Its not real clear to me from your posts just exactly what your situation is - is the entire property fenced? Are you way out in the country with no neighbors close?

If my dogs walked out my front door they would be in extreme danger from cars on the street and they would likely march themselves down the road to the county park (which requires them crossing a very busy road). Obviously all that is pretty dangerous.

If mine head out my back door, they are in a fenced in yard where they can't get into as much trouble - but my neighbors (if they were so inclined) could certainly toss something over the fence for them to eat (poisonous or otherwise).

If I had a 6 week old puppy wandering around in my backyard he could get himself into tremendous trouble eating mulch or rocks or being unintentionally injured by my very large rambunctious adults. It's a sweet notion that your adults are watching out for the puppy, but they can't keep him from getting into trouble. There are a couple of people on this board who had to have abdominal surgery ($$$$) on a small puppy due to ingesting a foreign object that would not pass through the gut. This is an avoidable problem.

I don't think this baby will be feeling "left out" when your adult dogs go outdoors without him. I try hard not to put human thoughts, reactions and feelings onto my dogs because they quite often do not apply. It's anthropomorphism. But - even in the very remote possibility that he might feel left out - keeping him safe and ensuring that he actually gets to grow up is far more important.
    My entire property is fenced and only way to any of my dogs (including the puppy) get outside would be to go through my front or rear entrance when unlocked or open. Other properties are close by, end to end with my property walls.
    The yard itself doesn't have any poisonous or seriously harmful plants case the puppy would try to eat one. It has a couple sizable rocks but not even my grown dogs could drag them. Basically it's mostly grass.
    Just like what I've wrote before. I don't like the way my neighbors look at my dogs, isn't a friendly look. Last time I saw that look was on my parents neighbors (some, not all of course) and they lost their two dogs to poisonous meat thrown by some neighbor.

I don't think it likely my neighbors to poison my dogs, but it is a possibility nonetheless.
    I'm just taking precautions and though some people here could give a couple ideas.
    The best so far, it would be to seal the dog door on my front entrance. This way, my puppy can't get outside without I noticing, and in the mean time my grown dogs ask to go outside.
    Thats what I've been doing so far, and will keep doing it until I can also train my puppy just like my other dogs, so that he also behaves like his mates and eats only from his cup or my hand.

Either way I appreciate your input. Just though anyone had a better idea. My thanks to all.
    George Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast