are labs athletes?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are labs athletes?

kingofturtles is offline Junior Member

Defaultare labs athletes?

Hey all. My lab is 1 year and 3 months old and he is lazy as heck.

1. I took him for a hike with a friend and his dog. When we got to the river part the other dog jumped from rock rock avoiding the water. Mine was more of a tank and just stumbled and plowed through the water. He's not agile at all. I even have to lift him up rocks sometimes.

2. He doesn't run. He will run full out a couple times if he is fetching or playing with a dog but that's it. There's a nice trail by my house. It would take about 10 mins to run it. I be been trying to get him to do it with me. He comes along and trots but never runs if I speed up. We do about 80 percent till we stop and walk the rest. Then he sleeps all day like he ran a marathon. He never wants to go outside in the yard either. Just sit inside.

Any suggestions? Is this just the way labs are? Yellow full bred English lab. I wanted an athletic dog. I love him just the same tho.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Some Labs are just more mellow than others, mine is not as mellow as yours but he is not as active as a Field bred/American Lab by any strech of the imagination. As long as you are sure yours is healthy and nothing is going on health wise the best thing you can do is accept his energy level. Because of his age you should not be running and jumping with him yet anyway. He is not done growing and your could cause irreparable damage to his joints. If you have been running with him and allowing him to jump for a while I would be concerned there may be hip or elbow issues going on causing him to avoid these activities. I do hope that is not the case but it is something I would get checked.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

depends on the lines. labs are hunting dogs - created to sit in blinds long hours and do quick runs thru brush or water to fetch. so that requires some athletism and drive but not at all like a border collie or aussie. or pointers.

But beyond that it depends on the individual dog's temperment, the lines behind your dog, why those parents were bred. for example - look at the labs bred for field trials - they ar bred for good drive and i imagine speed/endurance.

personally i want a lab that is active and at least some drive. my rocky is lazy at his core but we do a lot together - i find things he likes - swimming, trail walks, etc. but he has no real drive unless he is chasing live ducks haha

note that is you went on a first hike with your dog it is normal he needed more help - like anything else you need to build confidence, and physical ability.

what do you do with him on a normal work day?
    Last edited by Tanya; 08-02-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would expect a water dog would choose to plow through the water rather than hop from rock to rock. Did you research this breed before you got him?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I would expect a water dog would choose to plow through the water rather than hop from rock to rock. Did you research this breed before you got him?
    LOL I didn't read that point correctly - absolutely most labs would plow thru the river!! they are water dogs LOL!! I'd bet most labs would need to be convinced to get out of the river

Also - agility and all that doesn't always just come naturally - even some of the best athletes probably were a little rough around the edged whent hey first grabbed a stick/racket.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

As long as he's healthy, just keep getting him out there and encourage him to do stuff with you. He'll get used to it, will enjoy it more and will be in better shape.

Mine has the drive numerous labs put together and stamina/endurance/strength to go along with that. To have him sleep for the rest of the day I have to be out mountain biking on the local trails with him running after me for 12-15 miles. On a cool day, of course.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You may need to build up this dogs endurance. If he is a weekend warrior and is not doing much Monday - Friday that could be part of the issue. You may have just gotten a more mellow dog. Did you discuss your wishes with the breeder you bought him from? The breeder should have chosen one of the busier puppies in the litter if that is what you expressed you wanted.

I, in contrast, wanted a furry lump of a dog and my breeder helped with that.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Labs should be athletic. I think a good physical is in order if yours is as lazy as you describe, esp if parents were at all active.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

cillovely is offline Senior Member

Siren took a while to take to the water. We have a brook in our back yard, pool and just went on vacation to the lake, so we have water everywhere. He used to just sit at the top stair of the pool and look at me, but now he's gotten used to it, he'll actually whine to go in, swims around for a bit, and dosen't need help at all. The lake he wanted to be in the whole time, trying to catch the waves.

He'll play fetch and run like a mad man for about three or four rounds and then that's it. He's done. I throw whatever he's fetching and he'll just look at me like "yea Mom I'm done". And then he'll also have those crazy dog moments where he runs around for a minute or two and the wears himself out and plops. I take him for walks 2 - 3 miles at about 3 mph and at the end he just gets to our lawn and plops down like I made him run a marathon. I don't think he'll be a running companion for me, and he's too young to start testing it out anyhow.

I personally like him a bit more on the mellow side. And he's a full-bread English lab too.
    Last edited by cillovely; 08-02-2013 at 12:11 PM.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Hello, my English Yellow Lab, Todd is 7 months and he would run until he keeled over if I let him. He is very high energy and into everything, always ready for a game or fun. I have to create mind games for him and really watch his exercise, as I'm afraid he will hurt himself because he is so young. He wears me out sometimes!
    Wanna trade? lol...just kidding, I do love my crazy boy!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast