Reluctant Lab Puppy on Leash

Thread: Reluctant Lab Puppy on Leash

ReggieC84 is offline Junior Member

DefaultReluctant Lab Puppy on Leash

Hi guys!
    My name is Steve and my fiancé and I just bought a 12 week lab puppy. He's a very calm and docile pup. He will have some spurts of energy when he wakes up but when we walked him yesterday on his 4ft leash he would be a little reluctant but eventually walk. Today I bought him a 6 ft red leash and he won't stop chewing it and he certainly won't walk anywhere with it.

Any suggestions or advice? Is the 6 ft leash way too big ?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

It is not the length of the leash, many puppies are reluctant to walk on leash at first. Once he has ALL if his shots and can safely go out of your own yard and begin exploring the world have a friend or family member bring their dog over and go for a walk together. This usually produces a miraculous cure!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

^^ what Tammy said

Also, work off leash in your home. If you can't control your dog off leash in your home doing a basic walk (loose heel) then you probably shouldn't leash walking your dog. Dog obedience is about communicating and getting your dog to WANT to do what you want them to do. If you can't do it off leash then YOU are doing something wrong. Most likely you are failing to make it fun for your dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by slackercodemonkey View Post
    ^^ what Tammy said

Also, work off leash in your home. If you can't control your dog off leash in your home doing a basic walk (loose heel) then you probably shouldn't leash walking your dog. Dog obedience is about communicating and getting your dog to WANT to do what you want them to do. If you can't do it off leash then YOU are doing something wrong. Most likely you are failing to make it fun for your dog.
    If I'm failing to make it fun then what do you suggest to make it fun?

I've been playing with him lots with his toys and fetch. So do you suggest using the leash in the backyard?

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieC84 View Post
    If I'm failing to make it fun then what do you suggest to make it fun?
    In your house you can limit the distractions and maximize your fun factor. Play chase with your dog. Give your dogs toys and take them away. You are the fun bringer when you give toys and you are the boss when you take them away. Limit the play time your dog has with his favorite toys by putting them away between play sessions. Repeat play time often(like 6+ times a day throughout the day every day). Keep it short though. Keep you dog looking to you for the next play time. Now add in heal training. When you dog is hungry and about to eat work on a loose heal. Call you dog over(don't say heal! You associate words to actions after a dog gets it) and have them follow you around(without a leash) while you have a little pea sized piece of hotdog in your hand. Give your dog a piece every once in a while, but don't give him too much (don't ruin his appetite for his dog food). As long as you give the dog something, no matter how small, they will be happy. Repeat this process often (like 6 10 minute sessions a day. If your dog doesn't last 10 minutes make is even shorter. You HAVE to quit before your dog wants to quit). You have to be the bringer of joy and the person who ends the joy. Your dog will value different treats more than others. Save the best for the hardest things you are teaching. For example, my dogs favorites are in order are liver, chicken, hotdogs, and carrots.

Now when you go for a walk outside, you dog will naturally go with you because you have displayed to him thoroughly that you are the bringer of joy. Your dog will also be more accepting of your direction because you are the enforcer of rules and limitations in his world. Don't get me wrong, your dog will probably not be a master of the walk outside early on, but your dog start off better prepared for it.

After a while the things you want your dog to do will become rewards in and of themselves. My dog plants his butt on the ground pretty darn quick when we are at the door and I have a leash in hand ready to go for a walk. When we are on a walk in the forest my dog has learned that she gets what she wants when I get what I want. I say, Layla, come. She knows the quicker she comes and plops her butt in front of me the quicker we get going on the trail and sniff. She also knows that if she doesn't come and plop her butt in front of me I am perfectly content standing where I am ignoring her. Oh yeah, ignoring her is a serious issue for her because I have spent so much creating a strong bond with her.

Raising a dog is a lot a of hard work, but I think it is definitely worth it.

CallieAndKing is offline Member

I agree. Make it fun and use treats.

Angus already walks well on loose leash because we did a minute or two of it every time he went out the door the first two weeks he was living with us. Now we try for once a day just down our driveway with a sit at the end and then a turn about and back up and into the yard for free play. The trick is to keep their attention on you and not everything around them. I alternate this with a treat or his favorite squeak toy but always end with a high value treat and a great big hug (which can be dangerous but is getting less so (working on that nipping! : ).

We work on "sit" as we walk. I stop every few steps and ask him to "sit" at my left leg each time and then begin to walk again. He got a treat every time he sat. Now we go more steps (like 8 - 10) and do the "sit" command and he only gets a treat at the end of the driveway and back at the yard.

I can also get him to follow us off leash around in figure 8's and quick about faces etc now because he has learned to watch me for instruction when we are outside. The trick is to keep it very short and then follow it up with something even more fun...a bit of soccer type play with his ball...a sprinkler for his enjoyment etc.

You can develop your own training set of exercises to help you train your puppy - but the trick is always to keep it short but do it often, make it fun, and reward when successful and ALWAYS END ON A POSITIVE.

Our Yellow Baby Girl "Dream A Little Dream" born December 16 2014
    Our Chocolate Girl "Kona of the Storm" born August 8 2014
    Our Black Boy "Angus Demetrius" born April 26 2013
    Our Yellow Girl "Calliope" born January 6, 2006
    Our TriPawd "King" - Shelter Rescue born late fall 2004

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

A bit of leash training each day in the backyard is a good idea. But being a pup he will have a short span of attention so don't train for too long to start.