My Lab Has a Small Bladder... and I'm talkin small.

Thread: My Lab Has a Small Bladder... and I'm talkin small.

dheasley is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy Lab Has a Small Bladder... and I'm talkin small.

Hey guys-

I have a 7 month old black lab named Witten. He is a great dog, stellar personality and I love having him. One thing about him though is he has a very small bladder. I take him on a couple walks a day and he goes potty but then when we're back inside, he'll need to go again. At first I thought he was just wanting to go on another walk, but he would pee on the carpet.

He needs to go to the bathroom literally every 30 minutes or so and we live in a large3rd floor apartment. I tried the whole "porch potty" thing, but I felt like it taught him bad habits and it started to smell awful.

Any tips on how to teach him to hold it? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Have you discussed this with the vet? Maybe UTI or something wrong with that area.

Does this only happen after a walk or does he always need to go out every 30 minutes?

Does he do nice long pees for you? Have you noticed a difference between when he does give you a long pee VS when he just does little pees?

How much water does he drink?

Can he hold it longer when crated (over night and at day when yo uare at work?)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Love Tanya's post, very thorough! My first thought was UTI also.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dheasley is offline Junior Member

Hey thanks guys!

I've mentioned it to my vet and he took urine/stool samples and everything came back normal. He does pee for a long time and he never pees in his crate. We live in Texas so I keep him pretty hydrated... so I wouldnt be surprised if that is contributing to it.

We also just moved into this new apartment so I'm wondering if he's having territorial issues or is getting acclimated to the new environment.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Glad you got him checked out. What do you mean by "keep him pretty hydrated"? Dogs normally only drink when thirsty, provided water is available to them so unless he is drinking excessively on his own without being coaxed, that wouldn't hydrate him to a point that he pees excessively.

A new environment could cause some behavioural issues. But also wherever he has peed inside make sure you clean it properly - Nature's Miracle works great. You need to really take the smell right out otherwise he will keep peeing inside. What do you do when he does pee inside?

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Is this new behavior since you have moved? I understand the need to hydrate a dog but how much is he actually drinking? I think Maxx drinks a lot of water but he only pees 5 - 6 times a day. By 7 months he should not need to pee every 30 minutes. If he is holding it all night and when crated he obviously can hold it for a while. Have you noticed any other changes in him?
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

Jack drinks about two full bowls of water ever 24 hours. He can hold all day easily.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

7 months could be the onset of marking. Hormones are surging, and if the dog isn't trained properly and 200% sure of who's boss in the house, he might be deciding the house is his.