Getting a Lab Rescue Puppy!!

Thread: Getting a Lab Rescue Puppy!!

jgray is offline Junior Member

DefaultGetting a Lab Rescue Puppy!!

Hello! My family and I are going to be getting a rescued lab puppy. My family consists of myself, my husband, and 2 boys ages 10 and 7. We go next weekend to pick him/her out and won't be able to bring him/her home until the middle of August. So, my question is....what do you look for when picking a new puppy? I have heard that it is not always best to pick the most outgoing, etc. We have had 1 dog in the past, a dachshund, but this will be our first lab. We also have 2 indoor cats. Advice would be great! Thanks! Oh, and the pups are apparently purebred, and half are black and half are chocolate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

it really depends what kind of temperament YOU want. People will look for different things. But ultimately it can be very hard to tell based on a short visit because what you see may not be their normal temperament. Maybe the crazy one is super tired that day.

How old are the pups? Can you talk to the foster about their personalities?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

jgray is offline Junior Member

Currently, the pups are 5-6 weeks old. I have not spoken with the foster yet, just our adoption coordinator. I will certainly ask the fosters advice when I am able. I am a little nervous now about health issues, etc since I have no idea regarding the father of the pups. The mom is still with them, but I don't know anything about her either...except that she's chocolate. We decided to go with a rescue because I really felt it was the right thing for us to do....too many homeless dogs out there!