House breaking

Thread: House breaking

ayzguy99 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHouse breaking

Hi,

I am a first time dog owner and very glad to have found this forum. I have an issue regarding house breaking / potty training that I am hoping I can get some advice on.

My girlfriend and I have a 4 months old yellow lab mix and he has been with us for about 2 months now. We have been crate training him and his crate is in the kitchen (the kitchen has tile floors). When we are out of the house, we put him in the crate. When we are at home but can't keep a close watch over him, we fence him in the kitchen. From time to time, when we can keep a close watch over him, we let him play (and play with him) in the living room, which is carpeted.

Generally, he does really well in the kitchen with minimal accidents (in the 2 months that we had him so far, he only pees in the kitchen 3 times.) He, however, does not have the same control on carpet. If we leave him on the carpet for more than 15 mins, he is likely to have an accident on it. We even tried taking him outside to pee first, then let him play on the carpet, but he still pees on the carpet. Any advice on how to stop him from peeing on the carpet? Or what should be the best way to "introduce" him to the carpet area?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

banshee is offline Senior Member

We had the same setup as you when our dog was young. When he is on the carpet I would look for the "signs" that tell you he's about to pee, like turning around in a circle. Then before he peed I would say "no", and I would try to get him outside and praise him when he pees in a "legal" place. I would also get some Nature's Miracle and go over the places he's peed on the carpet. I think they have a product specifically for urine odor.
    Maybe you should let him spend only a few minutes on the carpet at first and gradually increase his time in the carpeted space?
    Hang in there. Eventually they do catch on.
    "I want to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Samson is offline Senior Member

I had this problem for a year with Dylan. Fortunately, my house only has laminate and tiles so it was a fairly easy clean up regime.

I think that the resudual odour could be a trigger for the peeing in your case ! If changing the flooring to laminate is not an option, then a good carpet clean may help and being more vigilant with detecting the pee signs. After a few months more, you will know when he needs to go !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the quick responses. They are very helpful. I am using Nature's Miracle cleaner to clean the stain, so hopefully that will help. I will also slowly introduce him to the carpet.

CallieAndKing is offline Member

We had this problem with our wee Angus as well. The design of our old farmhouse makes each room its own section of the downstairs separated by doors (not arches or walk throughs). The kitchen is tiled and the wood floored Living room has a large area rug in its center; we kept the doors closed between the rooms and allowed him a lot of free time in the kitchen, usually only allowing him in the living room in the evenings. Every time we would let Angus into the living room, he would immediately begin to potty on that rug. It finally clicked in my brain that in his little puppy brain, the living room was "outside" the kitchen and that rug was "grass". We solved it by putting his crate in the living room and an exercise pen in the kitchen both just beside the doors to the outside. I alternated his confinement between the two places during the day, taking him out the door as soon as I let him out of confinement. Over the course of about two or three days, he seemed to finally get that the living room was not "outside"....

I don't know if this is a feasible option for you, but sometimes, they just get confused by the great big world they are learning about!
    Last edited by CallieAndKing; 07-28-2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: auto correct

Our Yellow Baby Girl "Dream A Little Dream" born December 16 2014
    Our Chocolate Girl "Kona of the Storm" born August 8 2014
    Our Black Boy "Angus Demetrius" born April 26 2013
    Our Yellow Girl "Calliope" born January 6, 2006
    Our TriPawd "King" - Shelter Rescue born late fall 2004

Quote Originally Posted by CallieAndKing View Post
    We had this problem with our wee Angus as well. The design of our old farmhouse makes each room its own section of the downstairs separated by doors (not arches or walk throughs). The kitchen is tiled and the wood floored Living room has a large area rug in its center; we kept the doors closed between the rooms and allowed him a lot of free time in the kitchen, usually only allowing him in the living room in the evenings. Every time we would let Angus into the living room, he would immediately begin to potty on that rug. It finally clicked in my brain that in his little puppy brain, the living room was "outside" the kitchen and that rug was "grass". We solved it by putting his crate in the living room and an exercise pen in the kitchen both just beside the doors to the outside. I alternated his confinement between the two places during the day, taking him out the door as soon as I let him out of confinement. Over the course of about two or three days, he seemed to finally get that the living room was not "outside"....

I don't know if this is a feasible option for you, but sometimes, they just get confused by the great big world they are learning about!
    Thanks. I will definitely give this a try.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Remember that the time a young pup is most likely to have an "accident" is when they are bust playing. A playing pup is focused only on the fun, doesn't stop to think about body functions. Try tiring him out outside before bringing him in the living room on the carpet and let him nap there instead of play. There will be time to play on the carpet when he's older and has more control.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Your dog is at the age where he is very close to getting the hang of it. I used to have to take Todd out every 15 - 30 minutes in the evenings from 6 to around 9pm. That was his most active playtime. I have mostly carpet in my house so didn't have much choice to not keep him on it. I was just diligent about getting him out and eventually he started running to the door. It is the best feeling ever when you know they finally got it! Todd hasn't had an accident in the house in at least 3 months. Except for his recent leg lifting trick (see my post).
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02