Another question: Piddling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another question: Piddling

Mandi_S is offline Junior Member

DefaultAnother question: Piddling

Hi and sorry to be such a pain. But I have another question.
    Is it normal for a puppy to piddle on the floor? I'm not talking about peeing, but a little trail of piddle. He goes outside all the time and pees, but them he randomly leaves a piddle trail in the house... like it doesn't even phase him. We are still potty training so I'm hoping he's just letting some pressure go or something, but it's getting frustrating that he pees outside.
    I'm still trying to get him to ask somehow to go outside, but that's a work in progress. For now I just take him out about every half an hour or so.

Crap! I just thought of another question related to peeing:
    He will drink so much water if I allow him that he will pee every couple minutes, I litterally have to limit his water intake or he goes nuts. Is this normal? Should I talk to the vet about it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

You can take a urine sample to be checked for a UTI. The only time I have limited water with a puppy wad to pick it up around 8 at night for the first month or so. How often are you taking him out? If he is playing after peeing make sure he pees again before coming in. With a puppy I have always taken them out every hour or so, immediately upon waking, after playing and eating.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BellsandBeans is offline Senior Member

I agree with Tammy, take a urine sample in and check for a UTI. They are quite common in young pups, mine had one for weeks and always left trails of pee. Also with the heat the way it is now, I wouldn't limit water they tend to dehydrate rather quickly at young ages, and I think it is normal. My girl (16weeks) is a water fiend, but it's healthy so I let her.

I swear I thought potty training would never happen for us, especially since she had UTI's. We just kept up with the positive reinforcement and ignored accidents. Then one day 14 weeks she was potty trained. Simple as that. We still praise her often, but now she even let's herself out to potty, without us Just hang in there, it will happen.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

banshee is offline Senior Member

As a very young puppy my dog would poop while she was walking around, I don't even think she noticed it. She grew out of that when she was housebroken. But she never piddled like that.
    As an older dog, Babe sometimes did "leak" urine indoors, but it was a UTI and, luckily, easily treatable.
    Last edited by banshee; 07-24-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

talk to your vet. lots of water intake and dribbling pee make me think health related issue.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

yikes, now I'm worried, he goes for his 16 week shots next week. I just called my vet and they said if he's eating and drinking to wait until next week when he has his physical exam with his shots, but if I notice any blood in his urine, I have to take him in right away.
    I do let him out very often, right after play, right when he comes out of his crate, right after a nap and several times between those times. I thought for sure by 15 weeks, he would be able to hold it better, I didn't think it would be something medical. I have never had that with my other dogs so I didn't know the signs.
    Off to Google land now to find out more about UTI's.
    Thank you everyone

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

If it was my puppy I would would not wait until next week. You are right, by 15 weeks he should be able to hold it for a while. It does not require an office visit to screen the urine, you could just run a sample in. If it is not a UTI there could possibly be something else going on and the sooner found the better.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    If it was my puppy I would would not wait until next week. You are right, by 15 weeks he should be able to hold it for a while. It does not require an office visit to screen the urine, you could just run a sample in. If it is not a UTI there could possibly be something else going on and the sooner found the better.
    I don't really want to wait, but they said it was a physical exam they had to do to check too. I don't really know any better, so I listened to what they said. On the flip side then, how bad would it be to have him in a week early for his shots and have that all done at once?
    There's been no piddles today either.
    Last edited by Mandi_S; 07-24-2013 at 10:17 PM.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi_S View Post
    I don't really want to wait, but they said it was a physical exam they had to do to check too. I don't really know any better, so I listened to what they said. On the flip side then, how bad would it be to have him in a week early for his shots and have that all done at once?
    There's been no piddles today either.
    If he is sick he should not be vaccinated.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    If he is sick he should not be vaccinated.
    Another twist... geez, why would they tell me to wait till his vaccines then? This stuff is so confusing. Ok, I'll take him in tomorrow and hopefully get this resolved. So leads to another question though, if his vaccines are put off, what are the implications?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast