Urgent: Puppy going crazy at end of walks?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent: Puppy going crazy at end of walks?!

lab91 is offline Junior Member

DefaultUrgent: Puppy going crazy at end of walks?!

My four month old puppy simply goes bananas during the end of walks. He will one minute sit down peacefully while others are asking about my pup, then literally 30 seconds later he is running in circles at around 100 mph!, growling, jumping on me, trying to bite my leg into pieces, and once I tried the "human muzzle" technique of "no-bite" which I was skeptical of but tried only for him to leave a nice puppy bite on my hand.

To stop his crazy behavior and from him not biting me, I pick him up on our way back to calm him down (which he still goes crazy when I try to go near him, like pick him up). Once I put him back down, it's like nothing ever happened.

I am most likely going to invest in loose leash walking classes at my local pet store because this behavior has happened too many times (around 4 or 5).

I don't understand what to do in this circumstance. Has anyone else had this same experience with their lab puppy? Is it because he's thirsty or maybe my walks are too long?

Any suggestions would make my life a lot easier, and to stop his crazy, but still loveable behavior!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

He's got the zoomies. Bring a super yummy treat so that you can get him to focus on you when you see that look in his eye. Ask him to do a behavior he knows and reward him. If he's out of control, reel him in, take his collar (or scruff of neck) until he settles and try again.

The class is always a good idea too.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Not only normal but pretty common too. I encourage the end of walk zoomies. Outside, me in a safe place where I won't get knocked down, no biting me or jumping on me allowed. Some flowers have been sacrificed. This is back home in our own yard. Otherwise as said above for on leash. Absolutely not allowed on leash.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Definitely common at my house. I also get them to the fenced yard and let them have at it! Bring a treat to distract if you are having trouble getting your pup to a safe, secure spot. I enjoy this silliness, as long as I am out of the way! They will definitely send you flying in their excitement.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Zoomies. If you can get him to a fenced in space take him off leash & let him expend the energy. I wouldn't recommend picking him up, it isn't a logical method of fixing the problem. As he continues to grow you will not be able to lift him to calm him. Address the problem directly - let him get the zoomies out.

CallieAndKing is offline Member

LOL....Love that its called "Zoomies". A horse will do something similar at the end of a ride because it knows it is near its stable!

Agree with all above. Keep the puppy's attention with some treats for those last few minutes and then let him go inside a safe zone. It just shows that the puppy LOVES where he lives!

Our Yellow Baby Girl "Dream A Little Dream" born December 16 2014
    Our Chocolate Girl "Kona of the Storm" born August 8 2014
    Our Black Boy "Angus Demetrius" born April 26 2013
    Our Yellow Girl "Calliope" born January 6, 2006
    Our TriPawd "King" - Shelter Rescue born late fall 2004

Tanya is offline Senior Member

yep, normal and most dogs will do it. If not on leash, then when you let them off leash when you get home sometimes they get a burst of energy and go nuts Lots of great tips above
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

lab91 is offline Junior Member

Good to know this is common for puppies and dogs!

A couple of times he is gone crazy in my fenced backyard, off-leash. But it was just odd to see him do it on-leash during our walk, jumping and nipping at me.

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Zoomies are SO cute. I remember the first time my black lab got them it was inside of the house and he went nuts and started running around the house in circles, jumping on the bed, the couch, down the hall.... I thought he was going nuts, but then realized it was normal and it just meant he was a happy little camper.

J.R. and June

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Yep...Zoomies! I used to say that Sophie runs like a lunatic! She no longer has the end of walk Zoomies (she's 2) but still gets nuts when we say "leash"! LOL!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast