Puppy feeding schedule
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy feeding schedule

lab91 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy feeding schedule

Hey all,

I want to know if anyone here, has done the following. Will Labs be able to have food infront of themselves and not eat it?!

I want to put my pup's food first thing in the morning, so he can eat it throughout the day and not all at once. For example, if I put 3 cups of food in his bowl before I leave work (at around 7am) will he eat it ASAP or will he know to control himself, and eat when he's hungry.

What is the best way to put my four month pup's food at 7am so he will eat it all throughout the day and not at once?

Thanks for the suggestions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

I can't speak for everyone, but I know my dogs would gobble all of the food up. They never leave food in their bowls. How about if you get one of those timed feeders???

J.R. and June

Penny&Me is offline Member

Dogs aren't clever enough to know they need to save some of their food til later... Especially not labs who are typically greedy! If you can't get someone to go in and put another feed down whilst you're out you should look into one of those timed feeders, usually used for cats I think but I don't see why it wouldn't work for a dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Eresh is offline Senior Member

I've never met a lab that would walk away from a food dish before it was empty. I'm sure there are some out there that would, but I don't think it's common.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

some dogs have good self control and eat only what needed. but labs are very very very rarely one of those dogs Labs are known to be gluttons and eat until they are sick, puke, then eat the puke (not even kidding haha)

set three feeding times. put the bowl down, puppy eats, move the bowl. Even if you do have a picky eater, it is much better to have a set schedule so you know when the dog has eaten and how much. And if you ever have another dog over or get another dog, you really can't "free feed" (leave food out) for multiple dogs. You also want to avoid meals right before/afte vigorous exericse .
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

LOL, Yes, he will eat it when he's hungry, which will likely be the second you put it down.

Are you leaving a four month old puppy home alone all day? For 8 or 9 hours? I hope not in a crate? A rule of thumb for crating is one hour plus an hour per months of age. Crate or not, he'll be lonely, bored, possibly destructive. Is there no one to come in mid day to feed him, pee him, play with him? I know I've made some assumptions, can you explain more fully?

oh I also wanted to say, a strict feeding schedule will help set a pooping schedule which will be super useful for house training If they eat whenever they want in small portions (which ok, unlikely to happen) then it may be harder to predict when they will need to poop.

I agree with the above, hopefully if all humans are out of the house 7-8+ hours a plan is in place to have someone let the puppy out to potty mid-day. Or you will have to set up a space big enough for the puppy to potty and sleep away - but this isn't ideal and can delay house training. But you gotta do what you gotta do - a puppy cannot hold it in all day.

lab91 is offline Junior Member

Yes, I do have someone available to let him out and about to play during the day until the end of August, but after that he will be alone for 6 hours during the day.

And I do currently have a feeding schedule, which helps with the potty routine. I do have him potty trained as well so it's awesome!

I guess I may need to invest in the timed feeders that some posters have mentioned above.

nicole is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lab91 View Post
    I guess I may need to invest in the timed feeders that some posters have mentioned above.
    No you don't. Feed the puppy before you go to work and feed in the evening. He doesn't need food available all day at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lab91 View Post
    i missed this recommendation but i have no idea why it would be needed. feed before work, have the person letting rhe puppy out during the day feed a small portion then feed at nigh after work. or feed before/after work then later before bed. there is no need to feed more than 3 times a day. no need to but an automatic feeder. By 6 months you drop down to two feedings. There is no need to have contious feeidng throughout the day.

you can also feed part of the meal in a kong when you (and dog sitter) crate the pup.
    Last edited by Tanya; 07-23-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast