Need advice- 3 year Old Rescue Training

Thread: Need advice- 3 year Old Rescue Training

DesertFernweh is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed advice- 3 year Old Rescue Training

Hello all
    I need some advice on train my 3 year old Rescue, Strax. First some history
    We got Strax about a week ago from the rescue, my girlfriend got him as an Anniversary present to me, he was Picked up by rescue from the pound so very little is know about him prior to his time at the Rescue, they called him Fritz but told us they have no idea what his name was prior to coming to them. We honestly prefer the name Strax (those of you that are fans of Doctor Who will understand). He has shown to be somewhat trained, he does get sit (takes a few time) and even shake, but stay and come are not recognized. He's house trained (few slip ups that I wrote off to new house/people stress). Barking and biting are not issue AT ALL. I have heard him bark 2 times when he heard someone outside the apt and for biting, he is the biggest luv slab I have ever seen, likes cats and loves kids. Overall an amazing dog.
    Here is my issue, while Strax will respond to his name (some times) and commands in the house. soon as the door it open, it is like he can't hear at all. not matter how loud I yell or whistle I can't even get him to turn and acknowledge, he is ok on a leash, but has I found out when I took him to the park, off the lease he will not respond to any command or even acknowledge my voice. This is a big concern for me has my hope in Getting a lab was a dog to take with me camping and backpacking.
    Please help.
    DF

It should also be noted that I work from home (Remote IT Support) so he is never home alone, in fact he is rarely not by my side. I have made it a point to use his name as often as possible.
    Last edited by DesertFernweh; 07-19-2013 at 04:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

congrats on the new addition.

there are many steps to training. the first step is training the command, so the dogs understand what the word (or hand signal, or both) mean. this is done in the house with no distractions. Once the dog knows the command 90% or more (and you don't need a treat in your hand) then you move to step two.
    Step two is training with slowly increasing distractions. When you add distractions, you need to step back the training. You have upped the anty here and need to assume the dog is going to have competing interest so you need to reward again. (not having a treat in your hand, but show the dog he is working for something, put it away, then ask for the command).
    You need to work on slowly increasing distractions. Start with indoor distractions. When you take training outside, even in your yard, you need to keep the dog on leash and step back in the training process (not from scratch).

Specifcally for recall, start indoors introducing the recall word. Start with a new word here. ONce he is 90% in the house, you can add distractions but get closer to him if you do and up the reward. When you are ready to practice outdoors, do so on leash then on a long line. NEVER EVER use the recall word unless you know the dog will come or you can make them come (the long line).

ETA: I wanted to note it actually sounds like he is doing pretty darn awesome for one week by the way
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Ditto on what Tanya said. You need to put the time and effort into the training and expect that he will learn SLOWLY. One week is nothing and you are expecting too much in this short time.

Please also note that a lot of dogs got into the shelter then rescue because they ran away/jumped a fence. It is not a good idea to let him off a leash at this point as he is a major flight risk. Wait several weeks, build a bond, work on training and eventually you will have the dog you dreamed of - you just have to make him into that dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you, Seems like his biggest distraction is smell, the boy is a sniffing fool. Should the beginning distraction be just Auditory/Visual or should I adding some new smells to the house, we have tons of Candles and Incense :-)
    We are also teaching him in German rather than English, One because I like the German Language and two reduce confusion for the Strax. As Sit is really the only command he seems to know well, sitz is not that much of a leap.
    Thank you again for the help

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Why German? People are going to think he is protection trained when you tell him to platz. That's always my first thought when I have encountered a dog following commands in German.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

where I live many people speak Spanish, and my French and Russian sucks. Plus German is easier to learn because all the letters a pronounced the same (for the most Part). my GF and I had joked about teaching him in Welsh...but have you ever tried to read Welsh?