First day back at work...feeling guilty
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First day back at work...feeling guilty

Archie is offline Senior Member

DefaultFirst day back at work...feeling guilty

It's me again! I feel like I've been harassing this board since Archie came home, so my apologies in advance.

I took 2 weeks off when Archie first came home so that I could let him out as often as needed and slowly introduce him to the crate. He was crated every morning while I drove my husband to work, because that is the same time we would be leaving when I went back to work.

Today was my first day back. He went in the crate when we left shortly after 7:30 with a frozen kong stuffed with peanut butter and kibble. I came home at lunch (just after 12) and it looked like he had been panicking in there. Fur everywhere, and I could hear him barking when I drove up to the house, and he had barely touched his kong.

Took him out, he went to the bathroom right away, and then flopped in the shade. He seemed exhausted. I encouraged him to drink (which he did, LOTS!), and then played with him for about 20 minutes, he peed again, and then I put him back in the crate with a fresh kong and gave him some cheese for going back in.

Now I'm back at work wondering if he's panicking again. I know that I did everything I could to get him ready for this, but I still feel so guilty. Is this normal? Should I be doing something differently? I'll be back home shortly after 4:30 and he will be out of his crate until bedtime. Am I abusing the crate? I feel like maybe now that I'm back at work I should let him sleep outside of it at night, but what do you experts think?

I should also add, I don't coddle him. No baby talk, just matter of factly put him in the crate. I try really hard not to let my guilt show. In fact, I really don't feel guilty til I've already left him and driven away.

Thanks for all your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Yes it is normal, he will be fine. It is harder on the "parents"

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You are not doing anything wrong. He will adjust to the schedule quickly.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

It really is harder on us, they do an awesome job of making us feel guilty! Continue as you have been, he will be fine.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thanks for the support! It's easy to feel like I'm doing something wrong, but maybe he is just being particularly difficult.

He had be up at 5:30 this morning barking incessantly in the crate. I held out until 5:45 but finally the barking was giving me a headache so I went and told him to sit, which he did, and he was quiet, so I let him out and our morning began. I kept him busy right up until 7:30 when I said crate, he went in and got a treat, I gave him his kong and closed the door. The barking started immediately and I could still clearly hear it as I pulled out of the driveway 10 minutes later.

Sigh... This is one phase I will not miss.

Where are you keeping his crate? Maxx did really well with his crate in my bedroom, it definitely helped him to sleep better. Sometimes they can be persistent and it feels like it will never stop. I was a crate drop out with my Ozzy, he wore me down, lol! I wish I had been stronger...
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

At night the crate is right beside my bed. During the day I move it downstairs to a cool quiet room as it gets quite hot upstairs during the day.

A few more days of this and I might cave too. He's really wearing me down.

Although I did cave I wish I had not. Keeping your puppy safe is the most important thing. How will you know he is safe and secure if you don't use a crate when you have to leave him alone? The damage they can do to themselves not to mention your belongings is too much to risk. To list the things Ozzy destroyed because he was not crated would take me a long time. I will start with a leather sofa and loveseat, too many shoes to count, clothing, books, etc. Thank God he never suffered any ill effects, to this day I am not sure how we escaped a blockage or even worse. This will be a distant memory in the near future, hang in there!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

an update for anyone interested in Archie's progress:

Yesterday, both at lunch and after work when I drove in, I could hear him barking, but no accidents. Went right outside to potty and seemed happy.

Today at lunch I went home, heard no barking. Went in the house, he was sitting there quietly waiting to be let out. Went right outside to potty. 25 mins later when I had to leave, he went back in with a treat and didn't make a peep, although he did give me those sad "why are you leaving me again mom?" eyes.

Progress! yay!

That is awesome!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast