New Pup Loves to Whine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pup Loves to Whine

Labragator is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Pup Loves to Whine

Meet my new pup, Pippa. She's 8 weeks old and we just brought her home over the weekend. She has been excellent so far except for one thing--she whines all the time, even when playing. I think she may miss her littermates? She also whines/cries/barks when she's left in her crate, despite making it a happy place (treats, meals, etc.) and playing some crate games.

We have been leaving her in the crate for very short periods of time (5 mins, 10 mins) and she does not like it, even if we are in the room with her. She always has a chew toy available in the crate, and we've tried changing that up with different toys, treats, etc. to no avail. She just wants out! I'm staying home this week to acclimate her to her new life, so if you have any tips for me to work on, I'd love to hear them! Puppy Kindergarten starts next week, so I need to work on her so she's ready to go!
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Just be consistent and ignore the whining ! Do NOT EVER let here out while she is whining. Ignore her whining - don't even look at her - just reward the quiet moments but you must be quick so that she understands what the praise is for !

She will eventually "get it"

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

This is pretty natural and one of the toughest things to deal with in the first week or so with a new pup. I agree with Samson, if you are going to let her out do so after she has stopped whining. If you let her out because she is whining she will realize it pretty quick. Puppies can cry like little banshees the first while but it's important to keep working on her in the crate, normally they will bellow themselves to sleep and after a week or so realize that it does not good.

Does she sleep in her crate right now?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

Oh my, I'd let that little one whine all day. She is too stinking cute!

My first girl was a whiner and followed me everywhere. When she got too big to nap on me, she would sit at my feet and fall asleep with her head in my lap. She outgrew it but it took a few years... So you should probably listen to the previous posters, lol.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

She is precious! Definitely ignore and reward quickly only when quiet. She will get it but she will make you feel very guilty along the way!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

She's sure a pretty girl! Just let her whine. She will get over it as she gets used to her new life. Try distracting her. Don't reward her whining with treats to distract her, and don't let her out of the crate when she is whining. Good luck!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Thanks everyone! That is exactly what we have been doing--ignoring the whining and letting her out only when she's quiet. She went in her crate twice by herself today just to relax, so even if those few times were very short, I think we're making progress. She already knows her name and is getting the hang of "sit" and potty outside. She's pretty quick to learn these in the 48 hours shes been with us.We'll see how she does tonight in her crate, hopefully less howling! Thanks again for your input, it's very reassuring!

Pippa did pretty good last night. She whined/howled for about 45 minutes and then settled down because she tired herself out. My next question is how long is it acceptable for her to whine? 20 minutes? 40? An hour? Is there a point when it's too long? She's perfectly fine laying about and napping on the floor, but she doesn't want to use the crate.

Overnight she whined at 1am and 3:30am and both times I let her out (when she was quiet) she went potty, then she went right back in the crate and whined for about 5 minutes until she settled.

She spent an hour in the crate by herself this morning as I ran errands. When I came home she was whining but stopped the minute I walked in the door.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am not sure there us an actual time limit! (For the puppy not the human!) It really will get better every day, just be patient. Ear plugs, a martini or both are very helpful!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you are doing things just fine so far. The first couple of weeks are the toughest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast