New Rescue Puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rescue Puppy

Elliegirl is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Rescue Puppy

Hello,
    Just joined the forum, about 2 weeks ago we brought home our Ellie. She's a rescue pup, they said about 5 months old lab mix. (although my vet says she's at least 6 months due to having her adult teeth) She's a love! She spent some time in a shelter (not sure how long but I don't think very long) then went to a foster home in GA, then up to a foster in RI which is where we pciked her up, so she's bounced around a bit. The first 10 days or so we had her we were just trying to let her get accustomed to us and settle in to her new home.

She is housetrained and accustomed to the crate already so that was a nice bonus! Doesn't usually go into the crate much during the day on her own, but I do feed her in there and I do have to give her a little treat when she goes in at night or when we have to leave her home.

She is our first dog and we do have her set up to start training classes next week, but I feel so clueless on training her! She's a jumper, and a nipper. I know she's still a puppy but I'm not sure on what type puppy behavior is expected still at this age range. We are working on the jumping, and I have found that simply turning away from her gets her to stop the fastest. Someone else told me to teach her by giving her a knee to the chest otherwise I'm only teaching her to not jump when my back is turned. What is the right thing to do with jumping??

With mouthing/nipping I have been trying to redirect her to a chew toy and telling her "no biting" firmly or say "ah-ah' firmly. Sometimes responds well and not so well other times especially when she's wound up. Lot's of praise when she backs off.

The other thing I'm so cofused with is her leash pulling, The Petsmart girl told me to use a harness as she shouldn't pull as much, but she has some red areas under her front legs from itching (fleas...trying to get it under control still) and the harness was making the red areas worse so I stopped using it.

Someone else recommended the pinch collar for her. And yet a third person told me to use a gentle lead head collar to reduce the pulling. I'm so confused! I can not wait to start with the puppy classes and see what the trainer says. It's getting difficult to walk her! I do work with her in the yard on the leash, and I know it's a learning process still (for both of us!) and she does pretty good, seems to be picking up on it, but once we are on the street and there are distractions, she's yanking me all over.

Working on getting the yard fenced in so she can run and play off leash, we do bring her down to a ball field in the neighborhood that is fenced in and let her run there every day or every other day depending on whether there's an actual game that night or not. I try to walk her 3 times a day about 15-30 min each time depending on how much time I have that day.

Here's a picture of her, not sure what else she is mixed with, any guesses? She's very dark chocolate brown, almost black in some areas, but more brown in other areas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Use a normal lead. Walk off and as soon as she pulls ahead of you do a 180 and walk in the other direction.

She will eventually get the idea that she should not pull but it's not always a quick fix ! I would say one to two weeks of daily training - hopefully less.

It might take you the first week to even get to the end of the road, but persevere as it will eventually work ( Nobody said training is easy did they ? )

Samson is offline Senior Member

Oh - and bless you for rescuing her !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Hello and welcome to the forum! Ellie is adorable and she looks all lab to me. My pup is 6 months and he is a jumper and a puller also. I use the Freedom No pull harness on him and it works. I've had so much trouble and frustration walking him...but just this week he is finally getting it. I used the technique that "Samson" advised above and use treats to keep him beside me. That harness has like velvet around the straps that are very comfortable for him. Jumping up is still a work in progress for me. He is doing great not jumping on me, but other people are a different story. I've been using "place" training and so far it works the best. He has to lay in a spot and can't get up until he is released. Your trainer will have lots of advise to help you with these problems. Consistency is the key. Ellie will get it.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

thanks for the replies! Do you feel that the jumping and biting is still expected at her age?
    I've had 3 people the past few days mention that they think she is part pit, it never occured to me at all until it was mentioned. Does anyone else see that in her?

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome!
    Jumping and biting can still be a problem at this age especially since it sounds like she may not have had the best beginning or consistency early in her life. Keep working on her, she will get it. I agree with using a regular lead to teach her to walk properly. Regular harnesses make a dog pull more. There are "no pull" harnesses if you need to use one. As for seeing Pit in her, I sure don't see it.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elliegirl View Post
    thanks for the replies! Do you feel that the jumping and biting is still expected at her age?
    I've had 3 people the past few days mention that they think she is part pit, it never occured to me at all until it was mentioned. Does anyone else see that in her?
    Yes, it is still to be expected. Especially with a rescue. No different training than bringing home an 8 week old puppy. I dont see pit from your pix, but pits are great dogs too! Smart and loyal. She looks leggie, maybe dane or hound? Whatever she is, she's a cutie! Wish you the best!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

Tanya is offline Senior Member

congrats

I highly recommend signging up for obedience classes asap.

She will likely need daily off leash play, so you may need to walk over to the fenced park daily for a good 40+ minutes. Walks are great mental stimulation and training but for a young dog, a walk is not exercise, it's a warm up.

I don't see pit in the photos you shared. Keep in mind, most people are very very very bad at breed ID. so just ignore most of what they say Hard to make a guess on those two photos as you can't see body structure or head shape.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

thanks again. Just met with the trainer and we are all signed up for classes begininng next weekend. She gave us some good tips already and was able to see Ellie in full swing lol! Pulling on the leash, jumping, nipping. chewing on the leash, all of it! I honestly feel so relieved just knowing that we are going to be getting started and the trainer seemed awesome.
    I will try to post some more picture of Ellie when we go outside again today!

Ootter is offline Junior Member

Your beautiful dog looks just like my Calvin. I was also told Calvin looked like a pit/lab mix but just about everyone always thinks everything is pit...its dumb. She looks like she will be rather tall to be a pit. I will have to say when i look straight at calvin's face he does have a pit like head. We kinda think he might be part boxer cause he has massive paws and a strong tail. Really shouldn't matter anyways.

For Calvin pulling was a problem due to him being very scared of everything. We used a training collar on him recommend by our behaviorist. It is a chain that loops around the neck so that when you pull to correct it nips a bit at there neck...not nearly as bad as the spiked collars though i suggest not using anything like that since it can really hurt a poor dog. If Calvin does pull out really hard which does happen from time to time if he gets really frightened it chokes him a bit and he comes right back...though those are far and in between now.

Calvin is one year old and he still jumps and nips...nipping like "hey pet me" nips...no biting though. I find that when he starts to jump I just say NO and walk away from him and he stops. Once i started doing that he definitely doesn't jump much anymore. As for biting and chewing I would say your doing it right. Our behaviorist showed us how to grab his lower jaw and put our thumb into bottom of his mouth so that he would back off when he would nip to be petted. It has worked really well. Make sure that she has lots of toys to chew on or some of the great stuffed bones or KONGs are great to keep them entertained.

Good luck with your dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast