How to break from eating kitty poop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to break from eating kitty poop

cat12762 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow to break from eating kitty poop

My 4 month old puppy will not stop eating out of the litter box. When we catch her doing it we swat her and say a big NO. However, she continues to do it. I can't put the litter box in another room because she finds it there. I don't want to elevate the box off the floor because I have an older overweight cat that could not jump into it. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I keep my litter box in the laundry room that is gated. The gate has a pass through on the bottom only big enough for the cats to fit through. I have seen similar gates in pet stores and on Amazon.com. You definitely need to start teaching "leave it", it could save your dogs life.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 07-05-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

cillovely is offline Senior Member

The pass thru on those gates aren't much use until the dog is bigger. Siren can still squeeze thru and he's almost 50 pounds, although I haven't tested it in a while. I got one for the cat food area, he goes nuts for cat food. Poor kittes would starve if I let him go in there. We are lucky that we have our litter boxes in the basement with a pet door for them that is too small for Siren. I don't think he even knows it's there.

But he did find some kitty poop outside the other day and he wound up eating it. At least it didn't have the crunchy litter outside coating.

But like Tammy said, teaching leave it, is a big thing to teach them. I've got him to the point where he looks but dosen't touch my son's stompee slippers anymore as soon as I say it. That was big becuase they almost look like a toy for him to play with.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

By 4 months, Maxx could no longer fit through the door in the bottom on ours. They stay little for such a short period of time the gate is definitely worth the nominal investment. Prior to 4 months Maxx was pretty much never out of my sight.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

more supervision if you cannot stop him with a gate. even is the gate just slows him down to give you time to say leave it/reinforce the command that is good. At four month he still needs PLENTY of supervision - they get into tons of trouble really fast at that age.

i am cat sitting and know rocky loves cat "treats" so i am using a baby gate.
    Last edited by Tanya; 07-05-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Don't swat.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

ok - don't swat. That isn't training.
    Also, you probably use the word no to mean a lot of things. Be specific. LEAVE IT. and redirect. train and practice leave it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

We put our litter box in the garage and have cat doors leading out there. But right now the cats spend most of their time outside so they don't even use it anymore.
    ~Kasey~

I love my dogs!
    Bilbo the lab, Diesel the weenie, and Dobby the chug

Meadow is offline Senior Member

The kitty crunchy reward is probably so high you will have a hard time stopping that behavior. I would recommend setting up a system so she can't get to it as scolding will probably be a losing battle and just make her more sneaky about it.

-Baby gate with a hole pass through like others have said.

-I have put a cat door IN a basement door before, this worked for years for us. Just a jigsaw and a normal cat door, took no time at all to install.

-You might be able to set up some sort of door stop system that props the door open just enough for the cat to get through, might take a crafty idea but something to consider

-My husband built a wooden box for one of our litter boxes. Its large enough to enclose the litter box, with about 12 inches extra at the front of the box. You put a cat size opening in the side, so the cats have to go inside the box, turn, and go into the litter pan. Dogs can't get their head through the door and around. He put a hinged top so I can open and clean. We covered ours with carpet, but I have seen some nice looking ones painted or even stained. This is about what ours looks like http://www.hawkswillwoodwork.com/Lit...st_coat_KB.JPG

If I have him build another one, I will probably make room on both ends so I can store extra litter and the scooper inside as well.

cat12762 is offline Junior Member

That might work but one of my cats is almost 13 and overweight. She would have a hard time getting her fat body to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast