Crate Suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate Suggestions?

Archie is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrate Suggestions?

So, the inevitable issues/questions have begun to come up with Archie.

I got home yesterday and a neighbour came straight over to say my dog had been barking the whole time I was gone (about 1.5 hours). He barks constantly in the crate, and it is VERY loud

We've been playing games in it, hiding treats for him to find, feeding him in there, etc, but he still seems to hate being in there. I can't have him barking all day when I go back to work. Apparently someone else in this neighbourhood was forced to give away their dog for the same thing.

I know he's little and it will take time, but any suggestions to help him quiet down?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I can't remember how old Archie is. Just keep making the crate a positive place by feeding, treating and playing crate games. Give him a frozen king when leaving and try leaving a tv or radio on for him to see if that helps. I have always left a fan blowing on Maxx becsuse he is always hot as well as the bedroom tv on so my 2 are not reacting to outside noises, not that we have many in the area we live in. Maxx rarely barks anyway so this has never been an issue with him. Emma in the other hand barks often but as long as she has her thunder shirt on, can get on the bed and the tv is on we don't hear a peep out of her. (We have snuck up to the house to see if she calmed down after buying the thunder shirt.)
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

start with short sessions. there was a good video online on avoiding seperation anxiety and/or getting a dog less barky. try googling for seperation anxiety traiing.

1 - when you leave, leave something for the dog to do like a frozen kong or plan their meal to be in teh crate.
    2 - leave some music. tehre are even some dvd's ment to be more relaxing to dogs. but start with music
    3 - there are other things you can do to help like lavander scent and stuff like that
    4 - don't make a big deal of leaving NOR of coming home (no "HI BABY DID YOU MISS ME!!"). Let the pup out of the crate and ignore for a bit before giving love.

Are your neighbours attached to the house? (i.e. townhome) or are you in an apartment? Honestly, I don't even see how a townhome next door can force you to give up the dog. Unless you are in a picky condo developement or in an apartmetn building.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya, I'm in a detached house. The houses are fairly close but his barking shouldn't be seriously bothering anyone. I'm going to ignore the neighbour's warning for a while. I think he was being nosy more than anything.

I put him in the crate today because I needed a break and wanted to get some laundry done. He barked and carried on loudly for about 5 minutes and then passed out until I let him out an hour later, so I think he is doing fine.

I will try the music when I'm out of the house. I also gave him a shirt that I wore riding last nit in the heat (so lots of my scent on it, plus that yummy horsey smell) and he LOVES it!

Thanks for the tips! I'm hoping it won't be too long until the barking stops altogether.

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

What kind of crate do you have? At times it will be outside stimulus that will keep pup reminded that he is in the crate, perhaps a towel over top part of the crate. In many cases most pups will be very vocal the 1st while in a crate.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Do you have a friendly neighbour you can enlist to keep track of what's going on around your house while you are away? I'm thinking of the outside stimulus factor mentioned above, you just never know what might be happening when you aren't there.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Tanya, I'm in a detached house. The houses are fairly close but his barking shouldn't be seriously bothering anyone. I'm going to ignore the neighbour's warning for a while. I think he was being nosy more than anything.

I put him in the crate today because I needed a break and wanted to get some laundry done. He barked and carried on loudly for about 5 minutes and then passed out until I let him out an hour later, so I think he is doing fine.

I will try the music when I'm out of the house. I also gave him a shirt that I wore riding last nit in the heat (so lots of my scent on it, plus that yummy horsey smell) and he LOVES it!

Thanks for the tips! I'm hoping it won't be too long until the barking stops altogether.
    phew - ok so it's not an "urgent" matter - they can't really call bylaw or anything for a dog barking in your house. Just be polite and say your are working on it

Sounds like you are on the right track, you are doing everything right. It just takes time for some dogs to get used to it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quick update: Archie is 8 weeks, 3 days old and just came home Tuesday night. We've had quite a few accidents and he eats and chews on everything, but tonight I was very proud. After going outside where he quickly did number 1 and 2 on command, he came in and settled down for a nap. Look where he went, all on his own Good boy Archie!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

labchris is offline Senior Member

Good to see that it works.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Awwwww, that is awesome! This adjustment period will be over do quickly it will soon become a distant memory.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast