Advice on Puppy/Kitty relations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Puppy/Kitty relations

BellsandBeans is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdvice on Puppy/Kitty relations

All right, so Bells is adjusting beautifully to life with us, but it's not going well with the cats. DH and I have separated the house into kitty terrority (the entire upstairs floor) and puppy world down stairs. Puppy world has many catwalks high up and furniture escape routes we built for them. The cats also have 2 litter boxes and 2 sets of food. One on each floor for their security and happiness. However two of the three cats won't go anywhere near the pup. They have barricaded themselves in our bedroom and refuse to leave at all. It's really bugging me since (before pup) my cats were attached to my hip and I'm missing them dearly. I try to give them the attention they diserve but living in hiding is making it hard.

Our other cat Pootie is declawed (not by us) and she does show intrest in the pup but Bells gets overly excited and easily over whelms her,since she has no way af teaching pup (dont mess with me) it's just not getting any better.

We are actively teaching no kitty, no chase and are doing fairly well with down stay around the one cat, but if the kitty runs it turns into a barking/chase game. (The puppy does play bow EVERY time to the cat so I dont think shes being aggressive by any means) I'm very consistent when she chases the cat she goes into time out for 3 minutes or as long as it takes to calm her down. But the pup has now been with us 5 1/2 weeks and I was hoping to see some improvement. Am I expecting too much too soon or is there something anyone can suggest to get the ball rolling in the right direction?

I LOVE my cats with all my heart and can't stand to see them so unhappy.
    Nina

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Penny&Me is offline Member

First off I wanted to say that I think 3 minutes is way too long a time out for a puppy, or an adult dog for that matter. The dog will start to get bored and probably won't think of it as punishment for bad behaviour. I use a time out with my pup and only for 5-10 seconds as she can't bear to be shut out of the room without us so we dont have to wait for her to calm down.
    If you are physically taking her to time out and waiting with her until she calms down you don't need a time limit, she needs to be taken back into the room as soon as she is calm, that way she will learn that if she is calm she will get what she wants quicker.

My girl is five months and three weeks ago I brought home a kitten. It took about 10 days for him to stop hissing and swiping at the pup and we are now at the point where they actually play together. As yours are adult cats and they have been used to not having a dog around it will probably take a while for them to adjust. Personally I would just carry on as you are doing and just give it time. It could take a couple of months for everyone to accept each other.

Penny&Me is offline Member

Oh one more thing, you could try doing a blanket swap - taking a blanket the pup has been sleeping on for a couple of days and put it where your cats spend their time so they can get used to the scent to begin with. It can't hurt!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Penny, I probably should have said I've been doing the blanket swap since day one. Funny thing is, I don't think my cats have a sense of smell.. They have no problem sleeping on the dogs blanket or care about when the pup has snuck a few sips from their water bowl.

I didn't realize 3 minutes was too long. I've been putting her in her crate in the same room. Maybe not quite 3 minutes either.. more of a guestimation really. As soon as she lays on her bed during a time out I say "good girl" and open the door for her, but on occasion she goes back to the same behavior and it's right back to the crate. Also when she does behave appropriately I praise praise praise the girl.

Your right, maybe a month just isn't long enough. It just makes me nervous that if they don't make friends when the puppy is realitively small it may never happen. I keep telling Bells not to grow so damn fast but she doesn't listen.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

For cats that have never been around dogs it may take longer. The more she grows and calms down, if they are paying her no attention, the less likely she will be to chase them around. One of my cats was rescued as an adult, also declawed, and had never been around dogs. It took him months to adjust to my adult dogs I had when he came to live with us. He has no problem with the dogs now and really didn't much care when we brought Maxx home as a puppy. The younger cat adjusted very quickly to adult dogs and loves Maxx. He often initiates play with Maxx and bosses him around unmercifully. (It is actually very funny to watch!) My cats also drink from the dogs water bowl and sleep on their beds, I don't think their sense of smell is compromised. Give them time, it will work out.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thanks for the reassurance Tammy, I guess I have to stay patient. Poor cats though, I was really hoping the transition would have been easier for them.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

We are talking about cats here! They have to punish you for rocking their world! If you are not getting the cold shoulder from them consider yourself blessed.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 07-02-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

LOL, They are great at making me feel bad.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I think you should go back to the basics when teaching your dog how to act around cats. Leash your dog and then work the distance at which your dog gets excited around the cat. Treat and reward your dog for not spazzing out. If your dog spazzs out then increase the distance and try again. Repeat repeat repeat. That should be the only interaction your dog has with the cats until she doesn't spazz at all. If you aren't controlling the interaction then your dog shouldn't be around the cats until she doesn't spazz out.

Ill work on leasing her more with the cats around, but what do I do when Pootie antagonizes the pup? I know I have watched many instances where the puppy is ignoring her completely so she (the cat) will start walking back and forth infront of the pup, (as if she's looking for a reaction) then proceed to jump over her head onto a diffrent piece of furniture just a foot out of reach, then if still ignored possibly hiss to get her to notice, once the pup is paying attention she will get in a spot 1 inch above the dogs head and dangle her tail, moving it in slow and seductive fashion. I know the cat is being a shit and makes Bells go nuts when she does it. This is typically when Bells gets punished for jumping/Barking then inevitablly chashing the cat. I had read several times to teach the dog it's under the cat in house hold hirachary and never scold the cat for behaving this way, is this wrong? Do I need to be teaching the cat a lesson too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast