Playing tips?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing tips?

Hjc20 is offline Member

DefaultPlaying tips?

So, I have a question about playing with your dog. I know this is such a silly question but what are some good tips to teach your dog how to catch a Frisbee? We just bought one for our pup Athena and she goes after it, but how do you teach a dog to catch it in the air? Is that supposed to come natural for them? Also, how old should a puppy be to go into the water? And how do you help your puppy learn to swim? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

How old is Athena? While it's fun to watch them catch a frisbee mid-air if she is under 12mos of age I just wouldn't advise it.
    Sorry to be a killjoy but you shouldn't run with your dog or do anything intense like catching frisbees until they've had a proper chance to grow & develop. I'd hate to see a puppy with an ACL injury or worse a broken leg because of intense exercise on an underdeveloped pup.

Hjc20 is offline Member

Well, I don't want to do anything intense with her yet. lol I was just curious because i have never played frisbee with a dog or taught one, so i don't know the ups and downs and do's and dont's. Thank you so much for your advice! Athena is estimated to be 4 months. She was rescued so we don't know her exact age but the vet thinks she is 4 months. Her teeth have fallen out and she has some adult teeth and some baby teeth still. So that's what they were basing it on and her weight. She is 33 lbs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cillovely is offline Senior Member

She may take after it on her own. Siren (almost 5 months) will jump for a toy, but based on advice on this board such as Diesel Dog's I freak out and stop playing that way and will change so he's not trying to jump for it.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

pretty sure i was told to start on the ground - rolling it.

but yes, best to be careful until the pup is done growing
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Hjc20 is offline Member

Thanks guys! And what about the water and swimming?? And tips on that too?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

To start on the Frisbee once she's old enough, like Tanya said you can start by rolling it. I started just by putting Diesel in a sit, walking about 10ft away and (trying my best) to aim it right at him & yelling "catch" he doesn't have a lot of stealth moves lol so to this day I have to fake throw to get him halfway out there before I fling it otherwise it hits the ground before he gets to it. Don't ask me about the retrieve part... Diesel will catch, drop and walk away. I'm the retriever!

Swimming is great for dogs, easy on the joints. Key to swimming is to introduce them slowly and just let them test it out, don't force it. Forcing them to go in just reinforces the fear. Some dogs don't think anything of it and dive right in, others you could throw a raw steak out to fetch & they wouldn't budge!

ETA: re swimming... make sure to dry her ears, just get a thin towel or tissue and sop the excess water out, don't penetrate the ear canal and never use Qtips. No need to bathe, just rinse off with a hose.
    Last edited by Diesel_Dawg; 06-28-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

don't force her into water. find a place where there is a small beach and water slopes in (not a deep drop). go with other dogs who love to swim if you can, they wil show her. IF that isn't possible, you go in and have fun yourself, coax her out. If she doesn't go the first time (or few times) don't worry, keep trying, keep it light and happy, do not force her.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe went into the ocean after she completed all her shots.
    If your puppy will be swimming in salt water, don't let her drink it. It will give her the runs.

As for teaching to swim, good advice above. Fortunately for us, Zoe just jumped right in and went for it. LOL

Good luck and have fun!
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Swimming and catching frisbees came naturally to Bauer. We bought some frisbees, started throwing them, and he would just catch them. He was pretty little the first time we took him swimming (14 weeks or so). I was throwing his ball into the lake (shallow beach area at my inlaws house), and he would run in and bring it back. I started throwing it out further and he started swimming.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast