puppy soiling oneself

Thread: puppy soiling oneself

moonbutt is offline Junior Member

Defaultpuppy soiling oneself

this is a continue from a previous post of a puppy I am fostering as a result of a friends suicide. she is 9-10 weeks old.
    my issue is and maybe I am clueless as I have had only one other dog/lab and he was easy to potty train.
    Findley (puppy) soils on herself. in the crate, laying around the house. I do know my friend at one time had diapers on Findley.
    I am afraid she taught her to soil herself.?? I need help and suggestions as I so want to help this baby.
    is it me? was I lucky with my first dog?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

It sounds like she didn't have the best start. Go back to the beginning, take her out constantly, keep puppy in your site or tethered to you. Throw a party when she gets it right. I bet it will not take her that long to get it, she is so young and they really just want to please us!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

i need to remember patience

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

What Tammy said, and yes, you need to be patient. She's just a baby & trying to figure out what you want from her. Granted the diapering likely did not help things at all. Do you have long term plans for her?

thank you. no I do not have long term plans yet. waiting to see what out of town surviving family want. I may keep her or will contact breeder or find a wonderful home.
    at this point I just want to potty train her. she is smart. frustrated because she will tinkle a little outside and then go to sleep and pee all over herself in or out of the crate.
    she has no sense of den. and yes, I think the diaper did this. i am trying to take her out continuous but it feels mute.
    not giving up.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd get her checked for a UTI if she is peeing in her sleep. If she was diapered that moisture coud have predicated an infection.

I am really incredulous that anyone woud diaper a puppy.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

i know i just googled this and thinking same thing. calling vet first thing

Tanya is offline Senior Member

check for a uti
    give her a good bath, clean all accidents with an odour neutrizing product (nojust a household cleaner) and get ver outside often (very often).
    it sounds like the puppy may have a uti and/or adtually was taught to potty anytime anywhere (the diapers could have been the cause of both).

please contact first the breeder then if they are not helpful (or questionnable) please contact a rescue if you do not keep her. they can do more screening than you can.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Penny&Me is offline Member

Definately get a urine sample to your vet to check for a uti, then just take everything back to basics. She needs to forget everything to learned before she came to you. I frequently advise the adopters of rescue puppies no matter their age (10 weeks or 10 months) to just start at the beginning. Pretend you just picked her up from the breeder and start with the basics - take her out every hour after waking, sleeping, eating, playing etc. it may even need to be less. When I got my pup I was taking her out every 20 minutes. It also took a while for her to be clean in her crate for any length of time. It was frustrating and I thought she would never get there but one day, it just happened. Their bladders are only tiny at the start and they can't go very long at all, even if they know they should hold it.
    Good luck