Keep off the couch!

Thread: Keep off the couch!

bluejeans is offline Member

DefaultKeep off the couch!

We really don't want Jersey up on the leather couch. We decided that before we even got her. But now that she's getting so big, she can easily jump up on the couch. She jumps up when we're sitting there, or when we're not. I can hear my husband & kids yelling "off", "get down" or just "Jersey!" and it's just not effective.

How do I keep her off the couch?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

In my experience with Dio, just be consistent. Everyone must be on the same page and tell her "off" when she attempts or when she's on it already. It takes a while, but if you keep it up, she'll get the message. Well, it worked with Dio... The only time he'll try to get on the couch is when he's not feeling well and needs a cuddle. Besides that, he won't try. Hope it helps a little. She is young and she'll keep learning.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

It appears to me that some brainwashing is necesssary. Not Jersey though. Mom, Dad, and the kids have to understand that is where you guys sit, that is where Jersey wants to be. You got a Lab. If you want her on the floor, all of you have to start sitting on the floor. Simple enough!!!!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

matiekorgan is offline Senior Member

Does she have anywhere in the lounge that only she CAN go? For example, Harper has his mat. Everytime he comes in after a potty break we do 5 or so minutes of "on your mat", where I'll ask him to go to his mat and lay down, then praise and scratch his tummy and give him a chew toy on his mat. The minute he leaves the mat the process is repeated. Like Ed said, it had to start with me on the floor next to him, but it's gotten to the stage where I can now sit on the lounge (also leather) for at least 5 minutes without even touching or looking at him, then if I reassure him with a pat and a "good boy" he will stay another 5 minutes ... and this is all with only a week under his belt!

Just an idea, then the kids can take turns at asking Jersey to go to her mat and patting her when she stays on there.
    Katie & Harper
    Soccorullus Corey Boy, our "Harper" 31.08.09

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Mine ask me about jumping on the couch. They stand and stare and if I invite them up - they jump up. If I tell them to go lie down, they dejectedly find another soft spot.

I keep a cover on the couch so it is no big deal - but if you want to dissuade jumping on the couch, you can try a scat mat. Drs. Foster and Smith sell this - it is essentially a clear vinyl mat with a battery pack. When the dog steps on it, it give off a small charge - like static electricity. Not painful - just annoying. She'll stay off it.

I bought it because I could not keep my Dutch Shepherd from jumping up on the dining room table when I was not home. She had a great view of the whole neighborhood from there. It stopped her cold.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Hmm no dog on the couch, now that an interesting idea Sammi makes a great armrest, I couldn't imagine not having her right next to me, leather couch and all! She does wait for permission to come up, but its always granted, unless we have company.