Advice...2nd dog

Thread: Advice...2nd dog

moonbutt is offline Junior Member

DefaultAdvice...2nd dog

Probably not the best post for not being a regular....
    i own a beautiful english male 2+ old lab. a friend unfortunately chose to take her life and i am now in possesion of her 9 wk old female lab.
    my boy was my firs lab and dog so my experience is little. any suggestions on how to crate train a second dog. calm your first dog in puppy play.
    and lastly, i am considering keeping her but my fear is that i will lose the bond i have with my boy. i know finding her a good home will be easy....she is a beautiful smart dog, if that should happen.
    any experience on bringing a second puppy into a home would be greatly appreciated. especially with an established young lab.
    thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

First, I am so sorry about your friend. That is so sad, thank you for being a great friend and taking the puppy.
    Crate training should be easy. Make it a happy place, throw treats and toys inside, feed her inside, etc. Keep the crate in your bedroom to help her feel secure at night and you will be able to hear her if she needs to potty at night. I would let your older dog and the puppy work their places out, only stepping in if you see nastiness. They will probably play non-stop for a while but your older dog should not hurt the puppy, I know it sounds vicous but it really is more noise than anything! I definitely would not worry about losing the bond you have with your dog. I have always had 2 dogs, several years apart in age and never lost the bond I had with any of my dogs. Do make sure you give each dog seperate training and time each day. I honestly think that is the hardest part of having 2 dogs but easy to work out with a little forethought.
    As long as you can afford to care for and feed 2, go for it. If not my first suggestion would be to contact the breeder the puppy came from. If that is not a viable road please contact your local Labrador rescue to assist you. A Lab is not for everyone and puppies are so cute. Everyone wants one but the puppy deserves to go to someone that is willing to put the time and effort necessary in to the puppy. The cuteness wears off real quick! I hope you stick around
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

did you crate train your boy? if so the process is the same (and if your boy is still crated they each need their own crate). rememer a pup cannot hold it as long so if you are gone from the home long periods someone has to go let the puppy out or you need to set up space big enough foe puppy to porty in one spot and sleep in the other.

google crate games - make the crate a fun place before you crate her long periods.

you can have a bond with more than one dog at once. but you need to make time for both dogs seperately as well as together. if you are not sure then the best thing would be to talk to a rescue and find the puppy a new home where they will be cherished. a rescue can fullt screen applicants including a home visit and ensure the perfect home is found and greatly reduce te chances of the pup being rehomed. whatever you do, do not give her away free on kijiji

i am so very sorry for your loss, how very tragic.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

oh yes - if the puppy comes from a breeder (a good one) i would contact them. either to let them know the puppy will live with you, or that the pup needs a new home (a reputable breeder will want to know amd if you do not keep the puppy the breeder lif they are relutable will have a clause in their contract that puppies need to go back to them if owners can to keep them. and they may have people waiting for one of their pups.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

moonbutt is offline Junior Member

thank you. you are correct non stop play is going on. I made the mistake "I think" putting her in my boys crate last night. it was the only one I had. she is not easy to train in that area like my boy was. she did pee on herself despite taking her out in the middle of the night. and she is not going to be easy on the potty training area.
    I did not think about the breeder and I agree labs are not for everyone one. it will work out in the end and if nothing else I can get her very socialized and potty trained.
    yes sad. she was young but obviously troubled. I think she was hoping the puppy would make everything okay
    thank you again.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry about your friend. Your first post is fine and hope you share many more with us.

I worried the dymanics in the house would change if I got another dog and couldn't get a pup with Erns joints. A friend went back to the USA for a year and left his Border Collie Gemma with me. She was a bossy boots, and love Erns as much as he loved her. When she left 2 years later I knew he would miss her so rescued Tessa. Much quieter and adores Ernie. I wish I had done it years earlier.

Both Tess and Gems wormed their way into my heart. Top place is for Erns, but there is more than enough room for more. They do pick up things from each other. I did things with Gema and Erns, then Erns and Tess. Sometimes I crate him or a walker takes him out and I spend the half hour training Tess. Bit of juggling it can be done.

Your pups sound adorable.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Labradory is offline Senior Member

Second pup will just add to the fun! Your boy will help train the puppy, and appreciate the addition to your family.I think he is the perfect age for getting a sister. And I'm a big believer in " it was meant to be". Your friend would be happy to know she gave you such a loving gift....
    I agree that you should contact the Breeder, if possible, to advise of the situation, and obtain the oodles of advice they can provide.
    A good game of "bitey face" tires them both out. Sounds awful, but no blood. Labs love it! You will so enjoy watching them play together.

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010