No leash

Thread: No leash

kingofturtles is offline Junior Member

DefaultNo leash

Hey guys/girls.

I have a pure bred yellow lab. He's about 1.3 years old now. We have a fenced back yard that he hangs out in and everything is fine. The problem is, my parents live on kind of a ranch type property with no fence. When I visit I have a 40ft leash I tie him to but, I would like to NOT do this. Labs are pretty smart, do you think he would stay on the property?

When he escapes out of my front door he goes exploring and I have to chase him down. I have no idea how far he would go or if he would ever come back. I would like to assume he is smart enough that he would but, who wants to risk losing their dog?

Do you guys have any experience with this? Would he come home? Maybe he will when hes older but at 1.3 years old hes still too young? Any advice? I've got him trained to come when I tell him to, but once something distracts him its useless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

recall (coming back when called) is something you have to train. no, a dog doesn't instinctually just come back when a human squawks (they don't speak english)

you trained step 1 - recall with no distractions. now you need to move on to step two and train with distractions (few distractions and many distractions)

no I would never ever leave a dog loose if he had no recall. Not only could he gest lost, but he could get hit by a car, attacked by human or animal, stolen...etc.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    recall (coming back when called) is something you have to train. no, a dog doesn't instinctually just come back when a human squawks (they don't speak english)

you trained step 1 - recall with no distractions. now you need to move on to step two and train with distractions (few distractions and many distractions)

no I would never ever leave a dog loose if he had no recall. Not only could he gest lost, but he could get hit by a car, attacked by human or animal, stolen...etc.
    I agree. And add to the list of bad things that could happen - in many parts of the country loose dogs are shot.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I agree. And add to the list of bad things that could happen - in many parts of the country loose dogs are shot.
    I actually think this is what happened to one of our family dogs growing up. My dad had her at a friend's place in a rural farming area. The neighbour down the road had complained about dogs chasing his ... sheep I think? The family beagle ran off (as she tended to do) and this time, never came back.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky