New Puppy Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy Advice

txa001 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Puppy Advice

Hi All,

I am getting a puppy in October and am trying to select whether I should get a male or female. I am a male in my 20's living in a city and living in an apartment (fairly spacious). On days where the puppy will not be with family members while I am at work I plan on coming home for lunch to walk him/her and perhaps having a dog walker come around 3pm. I return around 6.

I have been told that females are not quite as restless as males, and a female is better for me since the dog will be in a house for a few hours at a time about 2-3 times a week. Obviously size matters as well, but not enough of a factor for a male to be a deal breaker.

Being a male in my 20's I may prefer to have a male companion, but I want to make sure I can provide for one as much as possible. Given your all's experience, is there much of a temperament difference between genders?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

No ! They are like us ! They are all different.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

it doesn't matter. the individual personality of the puppy is improtant, not the gender. there are more exeptions to all the "males are more affectioante blah blah blah" then dogs that are true to it.

PIck a reputable breeder that proves all breeding dogs in a venue like conformation, hunt or field AND who do ALL healt clerances on both parents (hips, elbows, eyes, heart, eic, cmn). Then from those find a breeder that has dogs of the temperment you want and let THE BREEDER pick the individual puppy that best fits your lifestyle and needs.

don't listen to old wives tales about genders - find the right breeder and the right litter and let the breeder pick the puppy that is best fit (they should ask you tons of questions about you to know this).

remember that pups that haven't had all their shots can't go for long walks and should be kept is safer environments (i.e. no dog parks or places highly populated by random dogs). Once they have had all their shots they need a safe place to run offleash to exercise.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by txa001 View Post
    Hi All,
    I have been told that females are not quite as restless as males, and a female is better for me since the dog will be in a house for a few hours at a time about 2-3 times a week. Obviously size matters as well, but not enough of a factor for a male to be a deal breaker.

Thank you!
    I never heard that - don't listen to everything you hear. people have lots of theories about dogs, puppies and stuff, most don't know what they are talking about. Or are just repeating things they heard.

Labs are family dogs and do well indoors. they need their daily physical exercise but then are good in the house. You should crate a young dog to help with house training and ensure they are safe (youngs dogs are known to chew and eat things).

What do you mean by the statement which I bolded? In the housea few hours 2-3 times a week?

txa001 is offline Junior Member

Thank you all for the advice. What I meant by a few hours 2-3 times a week is those days in which the puppy will not be with family members during the day (this should be 2 or 3 times a week) the puppy will be in the house alone a few hours at a time.

Sillydogs is offline Junior Member

Im a guy in my late 20s, and I perfer females. I feel like I have a better bond with my girls.

BellsandBeans is offline Senior Member

I always heard males were more needy and females more aloof and bull headed. My girl may be bull headed, she does take after me but she's like Velcro too. Like others said, each dog is different, make sure he/she is healthy then go from there.

they say you shouldn't "shop for a puppy" but rather "shop for a breeder". if you find a breeder that does all they should (health clearances, proves their dogs) and who's dogs you like (the look, the temperment) then you explain to them what you want (they really want to know)2 - then they recommend one or two puppies in the litter that are a good fit.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

As always, Tanya has excellent advice. Find a reputable breeder, tell them exactly what you want and let them choose.

My females are Velcro dogs, and always need to be touching me (or laying on top of me), so be careful of what you wish for. Do you want a dog that has to be laying on your lap, shoulder or head? My males are very devoted and very protective. They will bow to the bitches in he house however. There are just so many variables. The breeder, who has spent 2 months with the pups knows their personality the best. I usually have puppy buyers visit the pups, and see if there is a connection. The buyers have and I have usually come to an equal agreement on which pup is best.

I have had one family buy two pups from different generations. The first pup, the whole family came and the pup chose the dad. That pup (Woody) is bonded to the dad. The next generation, the mom came by herself, and Weber ran to her and loved on her. They took that pup, and Weber bonded to the mom without a doubt!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

OP - do you understand what we mean by "reputable" breeder? Most Labs come from breeders who would not be considered reputable. If a breeder does not work with their dog in some venue (like hunting, conformation showing, obedience) they are not a reputable breeder. There are too many dogs in the world to indiscriminately breed dogs who have not been proved to be exceptional.

If a breeder is not clearing their adult breeding stock's health (hips and elbows cleared with a specific x-ray process, heart and eyes cleared, exercise induced collapse cleared) then they are not reputable and you are risking buying a puppy which could very well develop very expensive health problems.

If a breeder is not requiring you to sign a contract in which you agree to spay/neuter the puppy and in which you agree to return the puppy to the breeder should you ever be unable to keep it - they are not reputable.

Those would all be a starting point for me in locating a breeder. You also want a breeder who ensures that the puppies are exposed to a lot of different sights and sounds and also handled while they are in the litter. If they are not being cared for in the house with the family - for me that is a deal breaker. You can't wait until 8 weeks to desensitize a puppy to human touch and normal household sounds.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast