Sleeping at night question!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping at night question!

ShelbysMomEmma is offline Junior Member

DefaultSleeping at night question!

Hello Everyone!

I have a question and was wondering what everyone else has done in this situation. Shelby is nearly 5 months (next Tuesday!) and has been consistently sleeping throughout the night for I'd say the last 2 months. Shes extremely well behaved during bed time when we normally put her in her crate. My fiancé and I decided one day when she was potty trained consistently and slept all night she could sleep in bed with us or in her bed in our room. Or crate with door open should she choose. The last 2 nights I put her in bed with me and she has slept like an angel..same hours as in crate..no chewing..no accidents..nothing! She woke up when I woke up and licked my face. I was thrilled! We never intended to always make her sleep in the crate with the door shut for the rest of her life..only until she could be trusted not to wake up having to go out.

A lot of people I told this to are giving me crap for it saying I am teaching a bad habit. I only consider a bad habit something we DONT want her to do. We never not wanted her in bed with us; we just knew it was necessary to make her sleep in crate for training purposes. We still use the crate obviously when we are out or occupied for long periods of time when were home..she loves it in there and frequently goes in on her own sometimes. Is this a bad thing to allow? I actually would like her to get used to sleeping either in bed or on floor or in crate..whatever..because the process of putting her in the crate at night can sometimes be a process especially when you just want to hop in bed and sleep! Any thoughts? I certainy don't want to dereail any training..but 2 nights in she was perfect. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the novel.

-Emma & Shelby
    photo23.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Unless you have a really alpha type dog (they exist, though are not as common as people seem to think) it's none of anyone's business where your dog sleeps. It's a personal decision. If you are happy having a full grown lab in your bed and she is not bothering your sleep and not misbehaving, why not. It wouldn't be a bad idea to only have her go up "on command" but I see no issues with dogs in beds (unless you have a real alpha dog). If he ever growls at you definatley kick him off - she looses that privilege. And if you ever hit a major hurdle where he challenges everything then you may want to kick her off. But if you have a well behaved dog then who cares.

What do you mean it's a process to crate her at night though?

Disclaimer : I am one of those "bad" fosters that lets fosters sleep in bed haha. I crate a few nights but lately most fosters end up sharing my bed with Rocky and I.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

You do what you want for your dog, your family. It's none of anyone else's business if you let your dog sleep in your bed. Some people are just really put off with dogs on furniture and feel it is a bad behaviour, some are very old school in thinking that a dog will equate being allowed on the bed to not having to follow any rules in the house. Nonsense.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ShelbysMomEmma is offline Junior Member

Tanya,that came out wrong. I only meant sometimes it's a process when we Try very hard not to fall asleep with her outside the crate ( movie nights, naps, relaxing on couch) and have to put her in her crate. I just meant the normal going to sleep process as humans...going to bed..napping or when your sick. Not having to worry about the dog during that time. That's all! She is a very well behaved puppy! She never tries to go in the bed without a couple pats on the bed and a command. I used "come up".

Thanks about the unsolicited advice from the other people also. I want to do what's right for us and our pup. I truly don't want to mess with her training she's done so well so far! But we are fine with her on the bed as long as she continues to behave. I understand there will still be some times well have to crate her to sleep. Fiancé is a firefighter and sometimes naps during the day to make up for no sleep during the night working.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Our Sophie sleeps with us, and always has. She is 2 now. We wouldn't have it any other way! I love having her to snuggle with. She sleeps between me and my husband, usually flat of her back!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Todd is 5 months too and I'm typing this with him and my Corgi on my bed. Lol! I follow Tanya's advice and make them get down when I say so. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I love bedtime. Another thing I've done is pet them , touch them, kinda wake them while they are sleeping so they get used to not being suddenly startled while sleeping.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

BellsandBeans is offline Senior Member

Yep, Your pup your rules. If that's what you want out of a dog, then it sounds like she's perfect! The only reason mine will never be allowed in bed is because that's where my 3 cats sleep every night. Maybe when their gone things will change.

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

We had Kai crated next to our bed at night until about 3 1/2 months, when we allowed her to sleep in bed with us. She's 4 1/2 months now and we wouldn't have it any other way! She still likes her crate and will go in the crate if we can't keep an eye on her during the day or if we are out so no adverse effects. I definitely agree that it's your puppy, your house and your rules.

Bazil&Fawn is offline Junior Member

Bazil sleeps on my mum and dads bed while little Fawn takes turns in me and my sisters beds! However Bazil takes the entire bed so my dad has his pillow on the sideboard haha while Bazil lays on his back legs wide open with not a care in the world! We wouldnt have it any other way! Its your home your rules!

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Our boy is allowed up on two small sofas at will and on our bed by invitation. He will ask for an invitation and lie down beside me on the floor if I fail to ask him up, which I often do in hot weather as he is like a furnace. He's not allowed up on any other furniture and he knows it. I never come home to find suspicious, warm, hairy, dents in the chesterfield. LOL

It's your choice if your pup sleeps on your bed. The only concern I could possibly think of is him jumping down off the bed if it is high and if your floors are slippery.

I like your definition of a bad habit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast