Puppy putting everything in mouth

Thread: Puppy putting everything in mouth

lab91 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy putting everything in mouth

Hello all,

Firstly, this site and forum are awesome! Especially the puppy advice because I am first time dog owner, and my puppy has been with me for just about one week now.

However, my puppy is having trouble because he is basically putting anything and everything in his mouth. Shoes, rugs, grass, rocks, human skin etc. For obvious reasons what I'm worried about is rocks and I take it out of his mouth whenever he does this. My pup is 11 weeks old, and I've tried to stop his grass eating habits. I realize eating grass is good for the dog, but he basically does this everyday, numerous times throughout the day. He knows he is doing something wrong because when I try to take the grass out of his mouth, he sees me coming and just runs to the other side of the yard, so I can't take it away! Also, sometimes he just chews the grass but does not swallow it?! Should I just let him pick away and eat the grass?

His biting behavior is also becoming out of control and he has bitten me quite a few times, the last 2 days. Should I continue the OUCH! method? Because that does not seem to be working.

If these questions are nuisance, I apologize! Just that being a first time dog owner I am becoming a little worried with the biting of hands, eating grass, and putting rocks in his cute little mouth!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

No question is a nuisance.Never apologise for asking questions. We have all been there.

Everything you say is normal puppy. Both of mine still like to have things in their mouths. The 11 year old chews holes. Most of us teach leave. I also taught drop...drop what ever you have.
    When Kassa was a pup I didn't leave her alone and used distraction to stop eating things I didn't want them to eat. They grow out of it....Well most do..my Erns isn't a garden variety Lab. lolo.

I would continue with the exaggerated ouch.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Samson is offline Senior Member

What Chris said and if you think he is taking too long to learn, ask your mum how long your potty training took :-)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Trade your puppy something for the grass. He runs away because you are taking his toy-snack away and are not replacing it with something else. You can teach "drop it' by telling him the command and offering a treat instead. Pretty soon he will associate the command with the treat and drop what he has in his mouth. Drop it and leave it are commands that are labby puppy owners best friend! Also we taught Sophie not to bite us by placing a hand around her muzzle and commanding "Don't Bite!" Do it everytime he bites. Don't let him slide. Even with the constant reprimanding, I found that using us for a chew toy is such a normal part of puppy behavior that breaking the habit took awhile of sticking with it. It was almost like one day a light bulb went off and she figured out what all the fuss was about and quit biting us! My hands and arms looked like swiss cheese before we broke her of it. Good luck.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

moorea7 is offline Junior Member

I am also on week one with my new chocolate lab puppy. Every outing into our yard is no longer fun. It is a combination of stopping her from biting me, stopping her from eating rocks and grass, stopping her from going into tall weeds where I cannot see what she is doing/eating. I love this little pup and want her to turn out to be a well-trained happy dog. Are these arduous walks normal?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by moorea7 View Post
    I am also on week one with my new chocolate lab puppy. Every outing into our yard is no longer fun. It is a combination of stopping her from biting me, stopping her from eating rocks and grass, stopping her from going into tall weeds where I cannot see what she is doing/eating. I love this little pup and want her to turn out to be a well-trained happy dog. Are these arduous walks normal?
    how old is your puppy?
    It's normal. all part of having a puppy. make sure to have lost of appropriate puppy toys for her to play with. Walks should be around the yard if she is 6-9 weeks as she hasn't had all her shots yet (or no more than around the block) if you meant leashed walks outside the yard (not clear from teh post).

sign up for puppy classes (ment for puppies that do not have all their shots.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky