getting dog to learn how to speak!

Thread: getting dog to learn how to speak!

Defaultgetting dog to learn how to speak!

My big guy just won't learn the command speak my hubby and I have been working almost daily with him trying every possible thing we can think of to bribe him to bark and nothing works. Anyone have any advice?
    Jackson (3 years old) and Febie (b. March 27,2013)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

LOL! Enjoy the quiet while you can. I haven't tried to teach Todd to speak. I taught my corgi to sit first and then to speak; and to this day, he is almost 12, he still will jump the gun and speak every time I say sit. It can be soooo annoying!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

LOL well Jack is our rescue dog, and is 3. we have had him almost a year now and I can count on 2 hands the amount of times I have heard him bark.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I agree that you should enjoy the quiet! Diesel didn't bark for his first 2 years no matter how much I tried. All I wanted was him to bark when I commanded "speak" in a party trick kind of way. Well, once he learned his voice he would not shut up. He now speaks whenever he feels his big boy bark should be heard, and it is often inappropriately timed!

But if you insist, I taught him by barking at him myself. Held a treat out, said "speak" and waited for him to try then I said "speak" did a "ruff" myself, added in teasing him a bit with the treat "you want this don't you... you really want this cookie?! come on... RUFF!" and gradually coaxed him that way. Didn't take too long.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I taught Ernie to speak and many times I wish I hadn't. He likes to "talk" to friends on the phone and many times I have had to tell a client I will call back when I get this dog to be quiet. I can go out onto the deck and he stands at the door barking louder. One client talks to him.

I have had to teach a no talk command now.

I have spent months trying to teach Tess things and it is hard work. I think they know , but can't be bothered.
    Last edited by kassabella; 06-08-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Our son taught Sophie to speak really easily. He used cheese as a treat. He got her attention and held out the cheese, commanded Sophie Speak! then barked himself (no kidding) and munched the cheese himself. He did that a few times, then held the cheese out for her and would kind of move his hand up and down a little and command Sophie Speak!. She got it pretty fast. It was pretty funny watching my son barking at her! We taught her to mime barking too, in the same way. Once she was speaking on command for awhile, we taught her to Speak Sophie and shhhhhh! She will "mouth" a bark and no sound comes out. So cute!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Maybe we shouldn't teach him to speak after all.

We have tried tried bribing him with his food, treats (no human food gives him the runs), his kong, a tennis ball, and his frisbee (each one after 2 or 3 weeks of trying with the previous) and he gets really excited for the tennis ball and frisbee (we have tried these two items the most) and we have tried teasing him with it, and barking at him ourselves and all he does is try to grab it and run away or jump all over us to get it, there isn't even the slightest attempt from him to open his mouth and make any noise at all.

He is our rescue dog, and what I have come to believe now is that the way he was treated in his previous home makes him not want to bark. Also like I said previously I can count on two hands the amounts of times he has barked in the year he has been with us, at least 5 of those times has had to do with the lasting PTS from his previous home and we have gotten after him for it since it was at people we don't want him to bark at. So we are partially at fault too.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I would count my blessings that you have a quiet dog. I'd like to teach mine to shut up.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.