Bed Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bed Question

Archie is offline Senior Member

DefaultBed Question

Hi everyone,

My very first lab puppy comes home in less than 4 weeks, so it's officially time to start shopping.

I was shopping around for beds today when the thought hit me, should I buy him a bed to nap/relax in while I'm also crate training? Would having a big comfy bed that is outside of the crate discourage him from wanting to go into his crate to sleep?

Also, as for bedding in the crate, should he have anything in there for the first little while? I know he may make a mess, and may chew on anything in there, so I'm leaning towards just leaving the crate without bedding, but then I would feel bad if he didn't have anywhere really comfy to snuggle up.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cillovely is offline Senior Member

I bought a nice crate pad for my pup, but when I'd put him in there he'd chew and pull on it. And he didn't want to stay in the crate at all. I tried a towel, got the same results. Then I just left the crate floor as is, he goes in there all the time now. So I wouldn't go too crazy getting fancy beds and pads. I do put the pad in my car more to hide the nice rubber mat underneath that he loves to chew, than for comfort.

My dog prefers to sleep on the hardwood floor vs. the rug. He's not a snuggler. Not sure but this might be true of all labs. I know when he sits on my lap when I'm on the floor with him, he really gives off some heat. He's not like my in laws chihuahua who is constantly shivering and looking to snuggle.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Newspaper or cardboard in the crate maybe. It wouldn't stop him from going in the crate if he had a bed outside.

you need to feed him and treat him in the crate so that he knows it's a good place and never tell him off in the crate whatever he has done.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

don't spend too much money on beds now. beds end up chewed and peed on I would start with a towel or mat for the crate. If the dog chews it (which is likely) then remove them. If you get a dog bed for outside the crate, make sure it is easy to wash as chances are good it will get peed on. and the whole bed needs to be easy to wash not just the cover as pee goes thru teh cover.

I have never had issues with a dog not wanting to go in the crate due to having a dog bed. they are seperate places for the dog.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

Jaxx started with blankets. But he chewed. So now there is nothing. Eventually I want to get him a couple nice beds. I just don't know when 'eventually' is.

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

My puppy when I first got him had a small bath mat in his crate, he would occasionally pull at the strings but it wasn’t too bad. Now at a year old he still has only a bath mat in the car crate but the house crate he has upgraded to a blanket and a pillow. (I lucked out and he doesn’t rip apart pillows and blankets like I hear some other dogs have been known to do.) He does have another big dog bed outside the crate which he never uses, he prefers the couch with his head in my lap.

Webster 6/8/2012

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Archie is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the tips all. This is what I suspected. SO, the plan has changed. No big expensive bed for puppy just yet. We'll be in the market for a bunch of cheap towels for the time being. If he really want to snuggle up and get cozy somewhere, my lap will always be available

It's been quite a while since I've had a puppy, and I'm finding my urge to spoil him rotten isn't always in line with common sense! lol

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Spend your money on a quality puppy k class to start you both out on the best path. It is money you will never regret spending.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I put a blanket in Buddy's crate, he shoves it to the front and sleeps in the back. Same with pillow or cushion. He will sleep on his bed outside the crate, but he doesn't want one in the crate.

When I had a fluffy pad in Champ's crate he'd bunch it all up. Got a memory foam bed to put in there and he LOVES it - I even catch Buddy sneaking in there once in a while to nap on the foam.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

TaylorSKS is offline Member

For Puppies, I always use old towels and super cheap fleece blankets from Walmart etc. I even save old sheets to use with the dogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast