feeding on road trip?

Thread: feeding on road trip?

revs2ninegrand is offline Junior Member

Defaultfeeding on road trip?

So my wife and I are going to pick up our little guy in 2 weeks from the breeder. We're driving up on a Friday, picking him up Saturday morning and driving home. The breeder said she wont feed him before we pick him up incase he gets car sick. My question is, it's a 10hr car trip and I would believe as a puppy he probably shouldn't go that long without food or water. I don't mind stopping every 2hrs or so incase he's gotta relieve himself, and we went out and bought those pop out portable food/ water bowls. Should I feed him and/or let him drink on the trip? if so how long and how much? Thanks!

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am not sure what your pick up time is, could you ask the breeder to feed your puppy breakfast early that morning? The breeder we got Maxx from did this for us. Because he seemed really hungry about 4 hours in to our 6 hour trip I did give him a few small pieces of food at a time, just to hold him until we got home. I gave him water throughout the trip, I figured if he was going to throw up water it was not going to be a big deal. I packed plenty of towels and wipes in the event of any accidents. Since he kept the water down I felt safe giving small amounts of food. Luckily we did not have any problems. We made two stops for potty breaks and he slept the majority of the rest of the time. Hopefully your experience will be as easy as ours was, best of luck to you!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Yeah I'm not sure of the exact time we'll be picking him up, I just know it will be in the AM. I appreciate the advice and I think I'll do what you did!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

talk to the breeder about your concern. They should be able to offer advice if they have any experience with litters/dogs.

be very very careful where you stop and let the dog out. he hasn't had all his vaccinations and is very very susceptible to catching all kinds of things. Pick quiet rest stops not used very much, you may be best to stick to pavement (others can offer advice).

I would offer water as he wants when you stop. not sure you need to stop every 2 hours (especially as the more stops you make the more he is exposed).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Yeah, to be honest I didn't plan on even stopping at "rest stops" I was planning on just making our stops at gas stations and take him off to where no one is around.