Another Silly question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Silly question

BellsandBeans is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother Silly question

Hello all, I have a small concern that's bugging me. My DH and I brought home our baby girl a week ago yesterday. She is a total sweetheart, cuddle bug and we are so pleased. But she seems really mellow to me. She is our first dog ever and is 9 weeks 1 day today. My question is should I be worried? We get up at 5 am and during this time, it seems to be her only really high energy time during the entire day. She will play very hard, running through the house killing her toys for a good hour then she passes out cold. She will sleep sound for two hours then wake potty and cuddle up with me for another 1-2-3 hours. Then repeats this cycle for the entire day. I normaly have to wake her to eat and for potty time. She MAY play for 20 minutes to an hour then passes out again.

She eats breakfast and dinner just fine but lunches seem to be boring to her. The breeder was only feeding her two meals, so I upped it as soon as we brought her home. She also had a UTI so she has been on antibiotics for 5 days now and it seems to be improving. The vet says she looks very healthy, but it was our first time meeting her and she seemed uninterested a bit. I am actively seeking a better vet.

Does this seem like normal lab puppy behavior? She seems so happy when she's awake..

When DH and I picked her out. We had first pick of 3 females, the other two were much smaller than her and completely wild. They were fighting with each other and bouncing off the wall, while our Bells had nothing to do with them. She stuck her nose to the ground and Just cruzed around the yard Untill she found a toy, then with head and tail held high, she proudly brought us the toy and collapsed at our feet giving us
    belly and kisses. We were in love. (This was also their first time outside ever)

Her favorite place is to sleep on my feet weither I'm doing dishes, cooking or just sitting down she's ON my feet.
    Did we luck out with her or does she seem too laid back?

Thanks for reading Nina
    Last edited by BellsandBeans; 06-01-2013 at 11:33 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Maxx was a very mellow puppy also, maybe not quite as mellow but pretty close. A puppy spends a lot of time sleeping, growing is hard work. I would keep an eye on the UTI, sometimes a different antibiotic is necessary, sometime a longer treatment. Once you find a new vet and she has been off the current med you should definitely take another urine sample to be checked. At this point I would not be overly concerned, she is eating, playing and sleeping, that is what a puppy does!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thank you!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

not to worry.
    it will change and you will beg for the mellow little thing you have now.
    and then it will change again.

Jeffrey Williams is offline Junior Member

Jefferson at 9 weeks was the same way and, at months 4 months still very mellow. He goes to doggy daycare 2 times a week, comes home completely exhausted. I keep him pretty active with walks, dog park, and swimming. He has been know to just lay down and take a nap during his training classes. Sometimes I think he's a puppy trapped in an old mans body. At first like you I was concerned. Now I just think I'm lucky!!!

Great to hear, makes me feel better. Dont get me, wrong I do love her mellowness. It makes up for potty training HELL I'm going through right now.

Jeffrey Williams is offline Junior Member

Trust me I remember bringing Jefferson home and after 2 weeks with him thinking, what have I got myself into. It does get easier, better, and a lot of fun !!! Like many here I am a firm believer in crate training. It will cut your potty training time in half. When you have questions and concerns come here to ask them. Theses people can really help a lot.

Thanks Jeff, she happens to LOVE her crate, thank God. It does make things much easier. I think the darn UTI is wreaking havoc on us all.

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Our dog never had a UTI, but he has had other infections that required antibiotics and it seemed to completely wipe him out. So, fighting the infection, the meds, and being a puppy could lead to her sleeping more than normal. She will for sure get more active. Be careful what you wish for. :-)

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

When Jack was a baby my husband worried because he slept so much. Like tammyhuffman said, "eating, playing, and sleeping that is what a puppy does" If your new vet also says she's healthy you can put your worries to rest and enjoy the free time until she gets a bit older and doesn't require quite so much sleep....
    Also~there is no such thing as a silly question. If it's on your mind, ask it. The people that use this forum have a lot of experience and knowledge and they will help you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast