4 month old Choc female biting something fierce!!! Help!

Thread: 4 month old Choc female biting something fierce!!! Help!

elizpaisley7 is offline Junior Member

Default4 month old Choc female biting something fierce!!! Help!

Hello all! I have had my chocolate lab, Paisley, since she was 7 weeks old and she is now 4 months old. She sits, stays, basic commands very well. We play with the frisbee, go to the dog park, and go for walks all the time. She does one or more of these things every single day!!! I love her to death, she is my very best friend and she gets so excited to see me; however, she is biting like crazy. Not always aggressively but there are times in which she snarls and nips. She has caused bleeding and some scars. I have a kong toy for her in which I fill with peanut butter and mushed bananas. We freeze this sometimes as well. I have been firm and told her "no bite" while shutting her mouth with my hands. I have given her a chew toy to distract her attention from my ankles and hands, but none of this is working. We are also in Puppy Kindergarten at Petsmart and they keep telling me the same thing and the same thing is not working! Please someone give me some advice or tell me when it is going to stop!

Thanks!

Elizabeth & Paisley

Paisley 4month Chocolate lab
    (in pic, 8 weeks)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

What starts the biting?
    Have you tried a loud ' no bite' and replacing with a toy?

elizpaisley7 is offline Junior Member

She gets super excited and that's when the nipping and biting start. I try to not look at her until she calms down but then at that point she is just trying to get my attention by biting more. I have tried a loud cry and it worked for a split second then she thought it was a game and liked making me "squeak". We replace with her kong a lot but that only distracts her for a little while.

Paisley 4month Chocolate lab
    (in pic, 8 weeks)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

just keep doing what you're doing and i bet she gets it sooner than later. sometimes you may have to clamp her mouth shut, gently with a NO BITE and stern face.

fyi-she's terribly cute too.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

She IS very cute. With Jack the loud "NO BITE" worked. Takes time and consistancy. (sorry, I suck at spelling) Can't let it go one time and not the next. Puppies, like small children, need the people in charge to be consistant.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Still biting at 4 months? You need to get this under control and be consistent about it. Right now you are using two methods for one behaviour - stick with one to avoid confusing her. Either redirect with a chew toy, or close her mouth - whichever you choose "no bite" applies.

Other methods you can try in conjunction with "no bite":

Leave the room when she bites. You are her playmate, if the instant she bites you remove yourself (close yourself in another room & ignore her cries) she will eventually get that bite=playtime over. This worked for my dog the best.

Loud AKK! or HEY!

Spray bottle with water, give her a quick squirt near her face - never in her face.

But whatever method you try you must be consistent. Every single day. Every single time she bites whether it hurts or not. Every person in your household or anyone that interacts with her must do the same. Don't jump from method to method, use the same one every time and keep it up for at least 3 weeks (may not take that long). While at 4mos she is still a puppy, she is getting bigger and forming a habit that can become a liability. Take charge. Don't give up, we've all been there, it will stop if you work hard to correct it.