Crating Tip: Fact or Myth?

Thread: Crating Tip: Fact or Myth?

Rowan'sMum is offline Junior Member

DefaultCrating Tip: Fact or Myth?

I was watching videos on youtube to see if there was anything to help ease little Rowan's fear of crating. I came across one that explained the size required for the crate, and talked about putting a box in the back if it is too big. I swear Rowan has grown overnight and the one we purchased is the right size for him...for now! He will need a new one soon, and I was wondering if this is true. In that case, I could purchase a full size crate to fit him even when he is full grown, and set a box in the back to minimize the extra space. Would this work? I have a feeling he would just gnaw on the box....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

depends on the dog. for some having a crate that "just fits" helps them relax more.

what are you doing to help ease his fear of crating? Did you see any of the crate game videos or the video from Ian Dunbar on introducing the crate?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Many crates come with a divider to make this easier. Feeding your puppy in the crate, giving a stuffed Kong and tossing high value treats in the crate, (leaving door open), can help puppy feel comfortable. Keeping the crate in your bedroom at night time will often help puppy feel secure. This will also assist in potty training, it will make it easier to hear your puppy if he needs to go during the night.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cillovely is offline Senior Member

I got an "adjustable" crate, from Petco. It has a wire partition that I can move as Siren grows. I moved it recently and he can fit in both sides (it's got two doors too), although one side is much smaller and he just fits. He goes in there usually just to get any loose kibble that has fallen out of his Kong. But occasionally I find him sleeping in the more cramped side. At night I keep him in the bigger side. He has more room than recommended, but he's doing very well with the crate and potty training that it's not an issue for us. I moved the partition to where it is to have access to the side door and to make it easier for him to get in and out where I keep him and the crate in a play yard when I can't watch him.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Many crates come with a divider to make this easier. Feeding your puppy in the crate, giving a stuffed Kong and tossing high value treats in the crate, (leaving door open), can help puppy feel comfortable. Keeping the crate in your bedroom at night time will often help puppy feel secure. This will also assist in potty training, it will make it easier to hear your puppy if he needs to go during the night.
    Good answer ! Feeding in the crate is always a good idea too !

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

If I am not mistaken the main reason to restrict the size of the crate is for house training. Crate too big and puppy can find a spot to pee or poo and not be in his/her sleeping area. Just big enough for puppy to turn around and sleep comfortably in with no extra space. I think the space issue is lessened after the dog is house trained.

Rowan'sMum is offline Junior Member

Thank you! I put his bowl in the crate yesterday and overnight he likes it. He naps, plays, etc. I will look for a crate with a divider, thanks for the info!

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

If you can't find one with a divider, I remember someone saying that they put an old cooler in the crate for a divider. A dog wouldn't be able to tear it up like a cardboard box.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.