Puppy teething question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Puppy teething question

  1. #1
    ShelbysMomEmma is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    27

    DefaultPuppy teething question

    Hello all,

    This is my first question in the forum..so excited to find this place..I read and read in the first few weeks of having my little girl Shelby and it really helped get me through those tough first couple weeks! So thanks for all the great advice!

    Shelby is now a little over 17 weeks old and she's been a wonderful puppy so far; listens to commands (sit, stay, come most of the time,drop it) house training has gone wonderfully (so smart, and no accidents in about a month knock on wood) passed puppy school (resuming more training in a few weeks). She went through the terrible chewing hands and ankles phase at first then seemed to stop all of a sudden..now she goes in little spurts about twice a day where she snarls and goes for my fingers or whatever is in front of her face when you pet her. I quickly redirect with a toy and a firm "no bite". I can tell its not normal play because when she bites down on a toy it seems as if she bites with all her might like shes trying to soothe her mouth. I have given her lots of frozen knotted washcloths in the morning (when its at its worst) and found bits of blood on them at times. She has lost her two bottom teeth so far. Is this normal puppy teething behavior? If so..how long can I expect this to last since she has started losing?

    It is not a big deal, mostly curious! Just want to help soothe her poor mouth. Thanks! Attached some photos from this week, one at training and one for a quick ride down the road to my future inlaws house.photo19.jpgphoto18.jpg

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    Default

    not sure on normal "tething" behaviour but it is normal puppy behaviour. It may be that at those times, the puppy is too tired (like a cranky toddler that missed their nap) and needs a break. If you are otherwise giving the puppy lots of physical and mental (age appropriate) exercise, then consider crating the puppy BEFORE those periods. Not as punishment, do it calmly, throw in a high value treat and let them just chill for a bit.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  4. #3
    ShelbysMomEmma is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    not sure on normal "tething" behaviour but it is normal puppy behaviour. It may be that at those times, the puppy is too tired (like a cranky toddler that missed their nap) and needs a break. If you are otherwise giving the puppy lots of physical and mental (age appropriate) exercise, then consider crating the puppy BEFORE those periods. Not as punishment, do it calmly, throw in a high value treat and let them just chill for a bit.
    Thanks! I should add in yes..she gets lots of age appropriate exercise everyday...a couple morning walks..(every 3rd day I leave her about 4 hours from 930 am-130pm while im at work..fiancé is a firefighter so days hes gone 24 hours are killer for me) .then afternoon fetch or dog park (which she LOVES) and some light training in the house in the evenings when shes hungry. She loves her crate so that wouldn't be an issue! Never an accident in her crate since the day we got her! She upgraded to her "big girl" wire cage last week! With a divider of course still.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    dstyer65 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Wow, she really is a cutie! She looks a lot like my yellow pup! He is going on 5 months and is teething still. I've found that the frozen kongs seem to go a long way in helping him. Soft rubber that you can freeze like a Kong bone and the regular ones, plus he has some orbee rubber toys that he likes. The rubber that is indestructible like kong seems to massage his gums. Todd went through a biting phase for awhile too, but he doesn't bite me while playing at all any more. We are working on not biting my fingers when he gets a training treat though. Ugh.
    Todd in office.jpg
    Here's Todd at work.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

  7. #5
    nicole's Avatar
    nicole is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    806

    Default

    I give my teething puppies stuffed frozen kongs (some of their kibble with smashed banana, yogurt and plug the ends with a dab of peanut butter) and raw bones a couple times a week. I don't like the washcloths because most will eventually try to rip or eat it. Nylabones and antlers are also good and less calories

  8. #6
    tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SE, PA
    Posts
    5,794

    Default

    Shelby is adorable! Maxx would sometimes act as you have described and a nap in his crate would calm him right down. I would give him a small Kong with mashed banana, a small amount if kibble from one of his meals. mixed with a small amount of plain yogurt that I froze together and he would be a happy camper. I kept a couple of the Kongs in the freezer so they were available when needed. There are many items you can stuff a Kong with and freeze. Maxx also likes them stuffed with carrots, green beans, blueberries, raspberries, etc. You can make it a really yummy treat that encourages your puppy to love her crate even more. Maxx gets one if he is crated because we are leaving the house for more than a few hours. He is almost 2 and has not been "required" to sleep in his crate for a very long time yet he still snoozes away in there every night and often naps in there during the day.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

    Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

  9. #7
    Crystal87 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    476

    Default

    She's adorable! All these pretty yellows and chocolates on here make me want to get another lab (or two)! I'm mostly joking, it really wouldn't be fair to any puppies right now. But it does make me want to rescue....

    Anywany back on topic. Definitely was typical of Jaxx, he's almost 6 months, and hasn't done that in awhile. He didn't go after ankle, but he did go after hands and forearms. I found giving him lots of options for acceptable things to chew on worked well.

    Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

  10. #8
    ShelbysMomEmma is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post
    I give my teething puppies stuffed frozen kongs (some of their kibble with smashed banana, yogurt and plug the ends with a dab of peanut butter) and raw bones a couple times a week. I don't like the washcloths because most will eventually try to rip or eat it. Nylabones and antlers are also good and less calories
    Thanks Nicole! I have tried the frozen kong thing..I am wondering If the Kong is too small for her..because all she is interested in is licking the goodies out from inside..never chews it or bites. Mostly a lot of rolling it around while she eats then leaves it be. Thankfully she hasn't ripped any washcloths or toys yet. I have found shes not a ripper..just bites down hard. Antlers sound good..I will try that! Any advice on which ones to buy? I am always afraid of buying those things from the stores because I have read conflicting advice on whats good for puppy teeth! She loves Nylabones

  11. #9
    ShelbysMomEmma is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Shelby is adorable! Maxx would sometimes act as you have described and a nap in his crate would calm him right down. I would give him a small Kong with mashed banana, a small amount if kibble from one of his meals. mixed with a small amount of plain yogurt that I froze together and he would be a happy camper. I kept a couple of the Kongs in the freezer so they were available when needed. There are many items you can stuff a Kong with and freeze. Maxx also likes them stuffed with carrots, green beans, blueberries, raspberries, etc. You can make it a really yummy treat that encourages your puppy to love her crate even more. Maxx gets one if he is crated because we are leaving the house for more than a few hours. He is almost 2 and has not been "required" to sleep in his crate for a very long time yet he still snoozes away in there every night and often naps in there during the day.
    Thanks for the kong recipes! Maybe that's it...I am not making them interesting enough! I was trying PB and some of her kibble (wellness super 5 mix large breed puppy) and once that was done..game over on to something else haha. That's great about the crate! She willingly goes in at night but we still close the door..only because I don't want her wandering out too early and crying at the door to go outside. She sleeps very well but I still don't trust the open crate door yet! Do you remember what age you started testing the crate door open for bed time?

  12. #10
    tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SE, PA
    Posts
    5,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShelbysMomEmma View Post
    Thanks for the kong recipes! Maybe that's it...I am not making them interesting enough! I was trying PB and some of her kibble (wellness super 5 mix large breed puppy) and once that was done..game over on to something else haha. That's great about the crate! She willingly goes in at night but we still close the door..only because I don't want her wandering out too early and crying at the door to go outside. She sleeps very well but I still don't trust the open crate door yet! Do you remember what age you started testing the crate door open for bed time?
    Probably by 6 months. Maxx was an extraordinarily good puppy! Other than a pair or 2 of flip flops and any tissue, paper towel or piece of toilet paper he never chewed anything up and we puppy proofed the bedroom very thoroughly. (Actually the whole house!) He will still steal a tissue or paper towel if the opportunity presents and I just returned the toilet paper rolls to the holders in my bathrooms! Maxx never actually chewed on the Kongs, they are just something for him to look forward to and to keep him busy for a short period of time. Freezing them does make them last a good bit longer as well as helping to soothe their sore gums when teething.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

    Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. puppy teething question
    By wonderlab in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 03:50 PM
  2. Teething...Question
    By Luvmydog2much in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 08:16 AM
  3. Puppy teething question
    By Tia in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 01:33 PM
  4. teething
    By imported_gabbys mom in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2007, 02:02 PM
  5. Teething
    By emccase in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 02:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25