Road Trip

Thread: Road Trip

nathompson is offline Junior Member

DefaultRoad Trip

Hi,

I'm going on a road trip in July, from the east to west coast. I want to adopt a lab and was wondering what the youngest age that you would consider taking on a month long road trip would be. I won't get a puppy that will be too young, but want to know which labs I should consider adopting based on the age and my plans. I should have at least a few weeks to a month for the dog to get used to riding in a car for incrementally longer periods of time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Personally I would not have a problem getting a lab that is 8 - 10 weeks old if you have several weeks to spend potty training and getting used to the car. JMHO.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Not a thing I would do with a newly adopted dog for a number of reasons.

They are high flight risks when they are newly adopted. Having a dog run away while you are on the road would be disastrous. They are under stress when they are newly adopted - they don't know you and need time (like 6 weeks at least) to get bonded to you and acclimated to the new home/territory. That long a road trip is really stressful for any dog, but if you went with an adult dog (2-3) and he had spent a number of months (at least) becoming acclimated to you it is doable, I guess.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

July is not far off. I think a better idea is to research reputable breeders in the time till your trip and then, maybe, you might find a pup for when you get back. Or if by adopt you mean a rescue then I'd postpone the dog till after. A dog will really cramp your style on such a big, long trip. You will have to find places that will allow a dog overnight and you won't be able to do much sightseeing along the way, dogs won't be allowed into many places.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Paddle View Post
    July is not far off. I think a better idea is to research reputable breeders in the time till your trip and then, maybe, you might find a pup for when you get back. Or if by adopt you mean a rescue then I'd postpone the dog till after. A dog will really cramp your style on such a big, long trip. You will have to find places that will allow a dog overnight and you won't be able to do much sightseeing along the way, dogs won't be allowed into many places.

I agree. I've driven cross country and I have traveled with dogs, but I would never have driven cross country with a dog, much less a puppy. Think about it. What if you need to go into a grocery store or a restaurant and it's 85 degrees out? What are you going to do with the dog? Can't leave it in the car. Can't take it inside.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

It would be best to wait to adopt a dog (or buy one from a breeder) until AFTER your trip.

If you go the breeder route, the odds of even finding a reputable breeder with pups ready to go before your trip are very small. If you go a rescue route it would take some time as well as we are already at the end of may so it would be mid-June likely before you finish the adoption process (if you haven't even looked at rescues yet).

A new puppy doesn't have all their shots and have small bladders so it would make for tons of stops along the way. Plus they would not have all their shots so it would be risky.
    A new adopted dog (not a very young baby) would still not have bonded to you nor would you have had time to train them before your trip so it could and a great deal of stress.

And as mentionned, what is the plan for stops for food, supplies, etc.

Honestly, your trip is coming up VERY soon, best to wait before getting a new family member. We have LOTS of peopel who contact hte rescue and only adopt a few months after as they realized it was best to wait until they return from a trip. They contact us again when they return and find the right dog for their family and everyone is happy.
    Last edited by Tanya; 05-21-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

nathompson is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the advice! The more I think about it, I think I'll likely adopt a 1-2 year old lab. I wasn't worried about places to stay since we'll be mostly camping and for grocery stores, etc, there will be two of us so just one could go in. But I didn't consider that the dog would be more of a flight risk since it can be stressful moving in with a new family. I was just thinking it'd be fun for us and the dog since we'll be outdoors a lot. But, it sounds like it's better to wait until after the trip. Thanks again!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I would wait until after the trip. The dogs come everywhere with me, except hot days in summer.
    There are times when I haven't been able to do things as I have the dogs. They are always on my mind if out and everything is planned around them. It is ok around home, but holidays I think are a little different.

Enjoy your trip it sounds wonderful.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nathompson View Post
    Thanks for the advice! The more I think about it, I think I'll likely adopt a 1-2 year old lab. I wasn't worried about places to stay since we'll be mostly camping and for grocery stores, etc, there will be two of us so just one could go in. But I didn't consider that the dog would be more of a flight risk since it can be stressful moving in with a new family. I was just thinking it'd be fun for us and the dog since we'll be outdoors a lot. But, it sounds like it's better to wait until after the trip. Thanks again!

glad to hear you will wait.
    Also, adopting a dog can take time. So use this period to research rescues in your area (or pounds) - but don't fall in love with any of the dogs haha (just research them). That way when you get back and are ready you can complete the application(s) and be ahead of teh game as you konw where to look.

It takes a fwe weeks/months for a new dog to integrate (some dogs it takes longer). Not saying you can't take any trips with a dog during that time but a cross country camping trip is something else all together.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I agree. I've driven cross country and I have traveled with dogs, but I would never have driven cross country with a dog, much less a puppy. Think about it. What if you need to go into a grocery store or a restaurant and it's 85 degrees out? What are you going to do with the dog? Can't leave it in the car. Can't take it inside.
    Very true Sharon. I was not thinking of it like that. I absolutely agree that waiting to get a puppy or rescue an older dog would be much better. Maxx did and still does go almost every where with me, including to work with me for the first 6+ months. A trip across the country is a completely different story. And the thought of a puppy or dog escaping is a very real and frightening possibility.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.