8 week old chocolate lab Male HELP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 week old chocolate lab Male HELP

psdsimon1689 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation8 week old chocolate lab Male HELP

I have an 8 week old chocolate lab named Duke. We have had him for 3 Days and he has been very good until last night. We pay very close attention to him while he is in the house, and he has not had a single accident in the house since we have had him, and is pretty good about whimpering when he has to pee or poop. The first night he slept the entire night no problem in his kennel. The night after he slept till about 5 am in his kennel with no accidents. But last night, he cried from the time we went to bed the entire night. I got up to let him out and pee around 1:30 to see if that was why, but he continued. I finally got up around 4:50, and let him out of his kennel because I couldn't stand the crying anymore. I slept about 3 hours last night.

I understand its going to take work, attention and dedication to train him into the family dog the we want him to be, i just want to do it right. I grew up with the old way of rubbing noses into their mess, and spanking when they do bad, and I know that's not how your train a good dog using positive reinforcement. I just want to gets ya'll's recommendations on what the best book, video, or advice you all recommend when preparing your puppy for success in training. He is an amazing puppy, and i can already tell he is very smart. Thank you very much for taking your time to write some responses.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Are you keeping him in a crate and if so where is your crate located? I put a crate in my bedroom, next to the bed and never heard a whimper out of Maxx. It is not uncommon to have to take puppy out during the night for the first week or 2.

Look for a puppy k class in your area. You can start right away and it is really good for your puppy. Socialization with other known and fully vaccinated dogs and safe exposure to lots of places and people is really important during the next 8 weeks. Just make sure you keep your puppy safe, do not expose him to dog parks or other areas where there have been or will be unknown dogs until he has all of his shots. Keep your puppy in your arms at your vet office as well.

Patricia McConnell has wonderful training books that focus on positive reinforcement training.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 05-22-2013 at 02:05 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Jake8 is offline Junior Member

psdsimon Ill be bring my choc male home in a few weeks cant wait Ill be watching this post to see if anyone else has input--

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amypasetti is offline Member

Hi!

I too have a chocolate lab, 8 weeks old. I have not been as lucky as you to sleep through the night yet! Ha... We cut off her water at about 7 pm but Sadie wakes us up about every 2 hours to go outside and pee. I know it's only temporary...hang in there!

We have our crate set up in our room as well. I read somewhere to set yourself up on the floor by her crate (lots of pillow and blankets help!) for the first few nights...gradually do less and less of this. Sadie was much more calm when she could be that close to us. We just reassured her. When she finally fell alseep, we hopped back into bed until the next potty break. She almost doesn't need us to lie there and its been about 5 days/nights. Hope that helps. Dramatically reduced crying/whining/barking. Now she really only does it when she has to go out. Hope that helps

Amy

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by psdsimon1689 View Post
    I have an 8 week old chocolate lab named Duke. We have had him for 3 Days and he has been very good until last night. We pay very close attention to him while he is in the house, and he has not had a single accident in the house since we have had him, and is pretty good about whimpering when he has to pee or poop. The first night he slept the entire night no problem in his kennel. The night after he slept till about 5 am in his kennel with no accidents. But last night, he cried from the time we went to bed the entire night. I got up to let him out and pee around 1:30 to see if that was why, but he continued. I finally got up around 4:50, and let him out of his kennel because I couldn't stand the crying anymore. I slept about 3 hours last night.

I understand its going to take work, attention and dedication to train him into the family dog the we want him to be, i just want to do it right. I grew up with the old way of rubbing noses into their mess, and spanking when they do bad, and I know that's not how your train a good dog using positive reinforcement. I just want to gets ya'll's recommendations on what the best book, video, or advice you all recommend when preparing your puppy for success in training. He is an amazing puppy, and i can already tell he is very smart. Thank you very much for taking your time to write some responses.
    Well first, I don't believe in "positive reinforcement" training, so if that's the rout you want to take, I'm not the person to talk to. Second, because the pup was crying and you let him out, he has now learnt that if he cries long and hard enough you will let him out of the crate.

Make sure the crate is in your room next to the bed. You don't want to isolate the dog somewhere else. Make sure you have small crate - if you bought a big one, make sure you have the divider in. If the pup doesn't stop crying, try putting a blanket over the crate.

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amypasetti View Post
    Hi!

I too have a chocolate lab, 8 weeks old. I have not been as lucky as you to sleep through the night yet! Ha... We cut off her water at about 7 pm but Sadie wakes us up about every 2 hours to go outside and pee. I know it's only temporary...hang in there!

We have our crate set up in our room as well. I read somewhere to set yourself up on the floor by her crate (lots of pillow and blankets help!) for the first few nights...gradually do less and less of this. Sadie was much more calm when she could be that close to us. We just reassured her. When she finally fell alseep, we hopped back into bed until the next potty break. She almost doesn't need us to lie there and its been about 5 days/nights. Hope that helps. Dramatically reduced crying/whining/barking. Now she really only does it when she has to go out. Hope that helps

Amy
    Congratulations on your 8 week old chocolate, Duke. My pup, when he came home to us, slept through the night. I think he was just so exhausted from the stress of the move to the new environment. He did continue to do so but when my husband had a bad night (up at 3am) that messed up pup's schedule. He was waking up at 3 am, not to just pee, but time to eat, time to play. And boy could he howl ( I think that's where he perfected it, lol). My pup is not in our room but in the living room. He is not alone as he has the bunnies to keep him company. He hears their movement at night and and has now gotten used to it. At the 3 am hour, I do get up now, quickly take him out. If he doesn't pee in 10 minutes, back in he goes, and I give him a chew toy. I then go back to bed. The first few nights, oh the howls, pillow over the head worked wonders, lol. I would not let him out, period. Now he's 3-1/2 months old, no howling UNLESS he really has to go. He knows the schedule. Even if we do have a bad night (which does happen), pup knows he's not getting out to eat until 5 am.

A blanket could be helpful. Also a favorite chew toy could help occupy pup's time if he doesn't want to sleep. My pup would get his chew toy and we would come out later to find him fast asleep with chew toy right next to him. They are babies. They need structure. And we as owners, need to stand strong. Let them cry, just like you would a baby. It's truly will become a positive experience for the pup. Just need to reinforce it.

Good Luck!

KAZ

Put the wrong quote in. Silly me.

ANYWAY my reply was for the OP.

Amy, congrats on your chocolate lab. Sounds like pup is starting to understand the crate.

KAZ

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Sorry I wrote ethat in a big hurry as i was trying to leave the office! HAHA. Another really important key to this is when the pup wakes you up to go outside DONT PAY ANY ATTENTION TO THE PUP. dont pet, dont praise, dont say a word to the pup. Carry the dog outside, let the dog pee, bring the dog back inside strait into the crate close it up, get back into bed all without saying a word. Pup will learn that it's not yet time to wake up. When you wake up and open the pups crate and say "GOOD MORNING", then that becomes the acceptable time to wake up and eat and play.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

note that the original post is a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfo View Post
    note that the original post is a year old.
    Really, well it got some really interesting posts today. Lots of good information. Hopefully those who are lurking will read it.

BTW xracer4844, don't talk to pup at all. Totally ignored until I say "Good Morning Sunshine!" Definitely great advice.

KAZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast