5 month old tinkles when being talked to sternly
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 month old tinkles when being talked to sternly

SiTheMutt is offline Senior Member

Angry5 month old tinkles when being talked to sternly

He has always done it and before I blamed it on being a few weeks old, but man is this getting OLD. I am so sick of having to clean up pee when I have to reprimand him. He is over 5 months old now and should have better control. I am slowly losing it with this issue. I'm at my wit's end with this and just wish it would stop! I have enough to do with a baby, a garden, chickens, household chores, etc without having to clean up tinkles all over the place every time the puppy does something bad. I'm not yelling. I'm pointing at him and talking to him in my "big girl voice" so he knows I am serious. What am I supposed to do? Just not reprimand him? How will he ever learn? Please help.

Training countdown - T-minus 3 weeks.
    "I haven't the slightest idea on how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out." - David Sedaris

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West

"If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered" -EAP

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Sounds like submissive urination and it sounds like he does not understand your reprimands. Can you give us an example of what he does that requires a reprimand and what you do? Honestly, if he is that soft maybe you shouldn't do this reprimand stuff. It's obviously not working. Mostly what we do is try to guide to the correct thing and ignore the wrong thing because generally a puppy as young as 5 months doing something wrong is our fault in the first place, for not forseeing it and preparing for it not to happen.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It's called submissive urination. Frankly, if you are getting this reaction, you are scaring the puppy and probably need to try different methods for modifying his behavior.

We don't do much in the way of correcting (verbally or physically) in my house but do a TON of celebrating when the dogs get it right. I find that rewarding dogs for the right behavior is much easier for them to understand than punishment for errors (and clearly this puppy feels punished).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mostly for chewing things up (even though this doesn't happen often) and the big one for biting me. He still gets angry when I tell him no and lunges at me trying to bite me. Yesterday he bit me pretty good and I pushed him off the couch and told him "YOU DON'T BITE, BAD DOG" and he got really low, ears back, head down, and tinkles. How am I supposed to not reprimand him for biting me?! I have a 1 year old son I have to think about. He will curl his lips up and snap at me. It's really odd behavior and I've never had a dog do it. I thought he would grow out of it, but not yet. I don't know if it is just puppy stuff or aggression. Either way, I'm not going to just let him go about his business when he is lunging at me.
    "I haven't the slightest idea on how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out." - David Sedaris

"If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered" -EAP

The foster I have now is a year old Golden mix and he was very mouthy when I got him. He would constantly put his big white adult dog teeth on arms and hands of any human he encountered. He also would lunge for toys/treats with his mouth and he'd grabbed the hand holding the object too. Probably why he landed in a kill shelter in Texas!

What has worked with this dog is consistently correcting with a loud "ACK" when his teeth meet flesh. He has slowly improved. I have had him for 3 weeks and he is 90% better. It is still his default when he gets really excited, but he is quicker to calm down now.

I'm a little confused by your dog going from bratty, mouthy lunger to submissive urination when you correct verbally. That's odd.

How much exercise is he getting? Part of this could be that he has energy to burn and nowhere to spend it.

I would also try this. Wrap a bit of his upper lip around one of his back teeth and press down - just enough to elicit a pain response. Sometimes puppies who are mouthy dont have any idea that their teeth hurt and this helps get the message across. This worked with my older dog who I got as a very mouthy 6 month old puppy. This did not help with the foster I have now.

And - until he can behave himself reliably he should not be on your couch with you.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

You have a 5 month pup and a 1 year son to care for at the same time plus all the other stuff. Life must be pretty stressful for you now. Hang in there and keep trying and one day it will all be better. You really have to expect to clean tinkles from a 5 month old puppy. (I hope you have hard floors.) When Bruno was young, he was housebroken, but for the longest time he would dribble all the way to the door whenever I let him out. The submissive urination means that he is a very sensitive dog, probably more willing to obey once he learns. The biting and lunging probably is his way of wanting to play with you. My 8 month old puppy does this too, but I can tell he is slowly getting better. You are right that you must correct him; if you don't like a 5 month old pup biting, you really won't like a year old biting plus you must protect your son. You can try to lower your voice until you reach the level that conveys "no" but doesn't produce urination. You can try some other form of correction like ignoring him or puting him in another room or baby gate him away from you. You can try keeping a squirt gun or spray bottle handy to correct by a spray in the face.You can try bitter apple in the mouth. To protect stuff from being chewed, you can bitter apple them, keep them out of reach when possible or correct by giving him a toy whenever he goes to something inappropriate. Keep a lot of hard rubber toys and nylabones around to distract him.

And for chewing things - what is he chewing? It's important to puppy proof as much as possible and have a lot of things he is allowed to chew. I have at least 7 Nylabones as well as Kongs, Wubbas and other toys the dogs can destroy if they want to. I have no problem with other stuff getting chewed (like cabinets or woodwork).

Have appropriate chew toys and consistently redirect. Yelling at him for chewing on your stuff is not really training the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    What has worked with this dog is consistently correcting with a loud "ACK" when his teeth meet flesh. He has slowly improved. I have had him for 3 weeks and he is 90% better. It is still his default when he gets really excited, but he is quicker to calm down now.

I'm a little confused by your dog going from bratty, mouthy lunger to submissive urination when you correct verbally. That's odd.

How much exercise is he getting? Part of this could be that he has energy to burn and nowhere to spend it.

I would also try this. Wrap a bit of his upper lip around one of his back teeth and press down - just enough to elicit a pain response. Sometimes puppies who are mouthy dont have any idea that their teeth hurt and this helps get the message across. This worked with my older dog who I got as a very mouthy 6 month old puppy. This did not help with the foster I have now.

And - until he can behave himself reliably he should not be on your couch with you.
    Si doesn't understand "acks", "ets" or the loud yelping when he bites you. It just gets him going. I do wrap his lip under his teeth to let him know it hurts and he whines so I know he is getting the pain from it. Again, just gets him going more though. He'll back down for a second and then come at me hard again.

I was thinking the same thing. One minute he is a tough guy and the next he is submissive and peeing.

He runs around outside a lot. Playing with his toys and just being overall crazy puppy. We rarely go for walks because he does run (we have a big yard and in a rural area).

Trust me, I have tried and tried...and tried to keep him off of the couches. I've lifted him off myself. I've told him "off" which he knows but doesn't think he has to listen to. I have tried to practice NILIF with him and it is neverending. Sometimes we make fun of him and say he isn't all there, but in all reality, I think he is a little special and it hinders his learning and our training abilities.

He chews up paper. Any paper he can find. He eats entire baby wipes and poops them out whole. We are at the point where we don't know where he is getting them because we keep the room closed where they are and the trash has a lid (although all soiled baby wipes/diapers get bagged and brought to the trash immediately). He has a kong and a cow hoof. I fill both with peanut butter which he loves. He really is great as far as a chewing puppy. He hasn't ruined anything of value (shoes, furniture, etc) but it would be nice if he stopped tearing up paper and the occasional baby toy. Whenever he tries to chew on a baby stuffy, I always give him his kong instead and tell him 'no chew that, chew this'. Everything else is pretty much out of reach because it has been baby proofed.

I think I'll try that bitter apple stuff. Maybe just put some on my arms when I'm around the house. Glad to know that Si isn't the only one without lack of bladder control at this age. Just gotta get through these puppy years....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast