few questions about my 3 month old pup!

Thread: few questions about my 3 month old pup!

cassandra.m is offline Junior Member

Defaultfew questions about my 3 month old pup!

My lab puppy Lady is 13 weeks old today. Normally she is pretty well behaved,listens well and loves giving affection. She is already potty and crate trained, knows No, sit and we have her chewing pretty much under control...until yesterday.

The past couple days she has been what i call "In a mood". She doesnt want to listen, is getting into things she never did before, really isnt a fan of me and her chewing and nipping has increased like crazy. Im not sure if shes starting to lose her puppy teeth and is acting out cause shes uncomfortable or what, just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this!

Also I live with my boyfriend,Lady is both of ours. But we also live with my brother, Lady listens to us and (until the other day) doesnt nip or jump on us, but for some reason she treats my brother like a chew toy! He disciplines her just like we do so its consistent. Anybody know why she would be doing this and how to fix it?

Thanks!!!
    Cassandra

.Lady.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

LOL, sounds like she is finally becoming a normal Lab puppy. Take it as a sign you are providing a confidence building home that is allowing true puppy nature to emerge. If you search here you will see your complaints are so, so common and you will see many, many tips on how to deal with the chewing and nipping.

Basically, keep anything precious to you or dangerous to her out of her reach. You don't want something swallowed to cause a costly or possibly fatal obstruction. You must constantly supervise. She might be starting to teeth, a time when chewing may escalate and she might be feeling a bit "off" if her little gums hurt. A washcloth soaked, wrung out, frozen and used as chew toy might help sooth her gums. Supervise, bits of washcloth can be swallowed. I rotated two.

Nipping, oh so many things to try. Yelp, distract with a toy BEFORE she nips you, don't play with your hands, time outs, rotate chew toys to prevent her getting bored with one, play outside off leash to use up some energy, puppy classes. I'm sure others will be along soon to give more ideas. Have fun with her.

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

With Jaxx we went through what I call the 'Terrible Two Weeks' where he went crazy nipping and chewing. It was like someone had come in and swapped my adorable puppy with a maniac chewing and nipping monster! Ha ha!

After two weeks of distractions, me yelping, and redirection he either finally got a clue or started feeling 'better'. Since then he never nips or bites at me. He's actually very careful not to (He'll twist his head like crazy to try to get the ball or toy out of my hand to avoid my fingers). The chewing I still need to be vigilant with though.

The members here have lots of awesome tips and I'm pretty confident in saying their tips are what helped Jaxx get through his nippy patch as quickly and painlessly as possible.
    Last edited by Crystal87; 05-16-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

thanks! I will definitely have to try the washcloth on her teeth! We do the yelp, no, time outs, and make sure she always has a toy, and since im home all day i can keep an eye on her at all times. I just dont understand why all of a sudden she doesnt want to listen! She knows what im telling her but does what she wants anyway.

How old was Jaxx when he went through those 2 weeks? i understand what you mean by the swap!!haha. Im thinking " just when i thought we had a handle on your chewing/biting.., you were doing so well!' haha
    Last edited by cassandra.m; 05-16-2013 at 08:47 AM.
    Cassandra

.Lady.

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

I believe he was in the 10-12 week range. (Although maybe it was 8-10 weeks...)

We got Jaxx at 6 weeks so I wondered if that was part of the problem. Or if it was just general puppy-ness. :P

Good luck!

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

frozen washcloth was a HUGE success! poor girl just holds it on her gums, but it kept her happy and busy for a while!! thanks so much!
    Cassandra

.Lady.

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cassandra.m View Post
    frozen washcloth was a HUGE success! poor girl just holds it on her gums, but it kept her happy and busy for a while!! thanks so much!
    glad to hear she is doing better I just started this with Kai as well. I also give her ice cubes.. she lovesss it!