Help with seperation anxiety

Thread: Help with seperation anxiety

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp with seperation anxiety

Hey there. So my dog Hera, she is about 10-11 months old, has really bad seperation anxiety, it has not been much of a problem until now. We knew she had problems being left alone in her crate so we started leaving her with my husbands brother and his wife (they have two dogs and Hera is completly obbsessed with one of them, you say his name and she jumps up like "where???") but at the moment it is not really an option. Now she can sleep in the crate just fine, not a problem it is when we leave her. She gets destructive in her crate; destroys beds, pillows, blankets, the plastic tray (she broke it into a thousand pieces) anything she has is destroyed. Last night my husband and I went to a movie and we left Hera in her crate away from the bed and couch with the tv on. She had raw hide, kong with Pb and a little water. When we got home she had moved the crate against the couch (scratching the side of our bed doing so) and got pillows and blankets, pulled them into the crate and destroyed them along with putting a hole in the couch, and the Pb and raw hide were untouched. We were gone for less than 3 hours. Today I learned about the Thundershirt and told my husband I was buying one for her (turned out he was looking at it last night lol) and I got one for her. So far it really calms her (I posted about it in the lab chat). I am working with her while she is wearing the shirt. I was able to get her to walk into the crate and lay down and with the door open I told her to stay and I left and walked around the upstairs, open and closed some doors, and when I came back she was still laying in it, normally I cant leave the room without her following me. I think it is a start put I dont want to rush it, I am kind of worried if we leave her with the shirt on she will destroy it and it cost $40. I can use any tips and advise of what I can do to reduce her anxiety.
    Hera's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

The thundershirt costs less than a couch...not a good solution I know. We've had two dogs with separation anxiety. The first was "cured" when we got a third dog. We have no idea why except that the older dog had the equivalent of dementia and maybe that wasn't enough companionship. The second is the Shih Tzu we inherited after the death of my husband's mother. With him, the vet put him on anxiety meds. He was on them for 6 months and then we took another 2 months to wean him off and he's been fine ever since. Lots of people don't like to try meds but for us it was so much better to see him relaxed.

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

Well we tested it last night. We went to another movie and left her with her shirt on and blankets in the crate and when we got home she was fine. There was no damage! So far this seems to be working for her.
    Hera's Mom

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Great!