Pup wont pee outside.

Thread: Pup wont pee outside.

TheMasterOf87 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPup wont pee outside.

He is just over 3 months old, we only just got him yesterday.- first day we got him he would just pee on the living room carpet without any warning, he pooped outside but wouldnt pee.
    First night he had pooped in his crate and then twice when I let him out that morning. But again wouldnt pee until we got into the living room again on the carpet.
    today has been much better in the sense that he is still pooping outside but hasnt peed on the carpet at all today and instead is using his crate going on the newspaper which I change straight away. But he still wont go when we are outside he waits until we go back inside and usually straight away wanders off into his crate to pee... I am praising him for this as I see it as a step up from the carpet but how can I encourage him to.pee outside when I take him out and eventually of course ask to be let out when he needs to go?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Please read through this thread - https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/t...new-owner.html

And know that all things with puppies are solved with patience, repetition and more patience. And clean all of the areas he has peed in the house with an odor neutralizer like white vinegar, peroxide or Nature's Miracle.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Love.Dogs is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMasterOf87 View Post
    He is just over 3 months old, we only just got him yesterday.- first day we got him he would just pee on the living room carpet without any warning, he pooped outside but wouldnt pee.
    First night he had pooped in his crate and then twice when I let him out that morning. But again wouldnt pee until we got into the living room again on the carpet.
    today has been much better in the sense that he is still pooping outside but hasnt peed on the carpet at all today and instead is using his crate going on the newspaper which I change straight away. But he still wont go when we are outside he waits until we go back inside and usually straight away wanders off into his crate to pee... I am praising him for this as I see it as a step up from the carpet but how can I encourage him to.pee outside when I take him out and eventually of course ask to be let out when he needs to go?
    Dog's will usually pee in a place that they have pee'd before. They will sniff around to find the place they went before and pee in the same vicinity. So it is important to really clean up the pee well with a spray that completely removes the odor. Also, I would keep this pup on leash at all times while in the house, When you see his tail go flat or arched up a little bit and he begins to sniff around, this is the biggest sign that they are looking to go potty. When you see him start to squat down you need to startle him by jumping up or grabbing the leash and then scoop him up and carry him out side to the spot you want him to potty. Again keep the leash on him and do not move or play with him until he goes to the bathroom. When he does go to the bathroom instantly say something like "Good Potty" or "Good Outside" while he is squatting to do his business.

Granted you will still have a mistake in the house here or there but don't get angry at him when he does. Even if you don't make it to him on time and he pees still pick him up and take him outside to the spot.

I would also remove the newspaper from the crate. Dog's don't go to the bathroom where they sleep so leaving newspaper in there encourages this behavior. Remove it and see what happens. If he pees in his crate then he will realize how uncomfortable it is to sleep in his pee.

Let me know how this works, if not I have a few other ideas for you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks yeah ive just removed the newspaper fRom his crate. I really dont understand as he has never pooped indoors (apart from first night as he didnt cry at all to say he needed to go. Perhaps due to having paper down.. )
    But when we are in the yard he just walks around sniffing everything for an eternity then just sits down refusing to do anything.

So now if he pees in his bed should I change the sheets straight away? Or is the unpleasant lying in it all night the lesson

Thanks

Thanks yeah ive just removed the newspaper fRom his crate. I really dont understand as he has never pooped indoors (apart from first night as he didnt cry at all to say he needed to go. Perhaps due to having paper down.. )
    But when we are in the yard he just walks around sniffing everything for an eternity then just sits down refusing to do anything.

So now if he pees in his bed should I change the sheets straight away? Or is the unpleasant lying in it all night the lesson

Thanks
    Sheets? He has Sheets?

That young a puppy should be sleeping in a crate with a bare tray. Labs are notorious chewers. I would not leave anything in his crate for him to chew up and possibly ingest.

It has a blanket on top of cushions lol (shall I keep him in a bare crate tonight then getting up at 3 hourly intervals

It has a blanket on top of cushions lol (shall I keep him in a bare crate tonight then getting up at 3 hourly intervals
    Were you leaving the cushion and blanket in there so he had a place to pee? Not a good idea.

First, the crate should be small enough that the puppy can stand up and turn around only. Any larger and he will be able to go to a corner and pee/poop and still be able to sleep in the crate. Part of the beauty of crate training is that it uses the dog's natural inhibition towards not eliminating where he sleeps. You need to use the divider (which comes with most crates) to reduce the size if you have a crate that is currently too large.

Most puppies can get through several hours at night without a pee break. Mine went 8 hours at 9 weeks. I would put him out to pee (take him outside on a leash and walk him in small circles until he does pee) around 11ish or whatever your bedtime is. Always make it a BIG PARTY when he pees outdoors - lots of praise. He will quickly pick up on what you want from him. Don't go indoors until he eliminates.

Then come back in and he goes right to bed. If you want to plan to take him out at 3ish, fine - otherwise I would not get up unless he complains. Same deal - out on a leash wait until he goes, right back to bed. If you play with him or otherwise make the midnight run a fun experience you are giving him an incentive to keep on waking you up.

Keeping a schedule (feeding and potty runs) is critical to getting him potty trained efficiently, but it is not ever a quick process. This is an infant and he does not yet have control over his elimination. It is not only a learning process but a physical maturation process. You need to be prepared to deal with accidents, some progress and some regression for several weeks. Some puppies are quicker than others but the ones who take the longest are usually due to a lack of schedule keeping and vigilance on the part of the human. Remember - any accidents he has are your fault - don't blame the baby.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 05-13-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Just re-read that he is 3 months. He is probably quite able physically to get through the night without a pee break. I would not proactively get him out in at 3am - but wait for him to ask to go out.

bett is offline Senior Member

and make sure you use something like nature's miracle in the crate as well.
    i'd also make a huge fuss, loads of praise when he goes outside. you can also use a phrase like "get busy" or "go potty" as you have him outside, and really get excited when he eliminates.

Love.Dogs is offline Junior Member

I will usually fold up a blanket that doesn't have any stuffing in it and let them sleep on that until they are past the chewy age. This will allow him to be more comfortable, you can also try covering the crate with a blanket to make it dark in there for him. Since he is 3 months he should definitely be able to hold it all night.

Like I said previously that don't like to pee where they sleep so if he does pee in there let him hang out in there for a while before you change the sheet or blanket. He will get the idea in time.