How do I keep his attention
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I keep his attention

Jeffrey Williams is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow do I keep his attention

Jefferson is a 16 week old male. We are currently in or 4 week of puppy Kindergarden. He does very well, that is until sees anything that distracts him. When I say anything, I mean anything, rock, leave, spot on the floor, ants. Basically anything he can put in his mouth. He knows " leave it" but to him that means, leave that particular thing, so on to the next object he goes. We practice " watch me " where I hold a treat between my eyes, and his eyes, lock onto mine ( well really the treat ).
    He reacts very well to a high pitch Female voice. The trainer doing the class can get his attention when she does that high pitched girly voice. I'm a male, I have tried that high pitch girly voice. I get no reaction. Rightly so, no mater how hard I try I can't get that high pitch. Clap my hands, pat my leg, praise, praise and still nothing.
    I will add he is low energy ( so far). He does daycare 2 times a week, to socialize with other dogs. In class he could care less about the other dogs. Now people, he feels that he should great each and every person several times. At the dog park, if you want to find Jefferson, just look at we're the group of people are standing talking, he will be right next to them!
    Any help with keeping his attention would be awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Hmmm...he sounds like my 4 month old, Todd's twin! First thing we learned in puppy class was saying our pups name, click and treat. Over and over so it grabs his attention every time I say his name. It works and I dont have tobyell it, just use a nice tone. Maybe try that?
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

I guess I will have to reach deep down, and find my really nice voice. I like the clicker idea, but the trainer isn't fond of the clicker method. I have never used it, but I and going to give it a try. Thanks for the great advice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

citronella is offline Senior Member

My trainer told me never take Laci for a walk or day care before class. She does pays better attention and is more willing after I followed her instructions.
    How the heck do u get a treat between your eyes lol. We treat cut up wieners for bate and put it in our mouths. Practice this and say catch and spit it at him and he will get the hang of it. Works for me, I have her full attention during class.
    I've also been told I have to sound more excited or I'll lose her attention. You might have to resort to a more excited voice to keep his attention.
    Good luck.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I guess I should of said " I hold the treat between my eyes" So let me get this right. Your suggesting I SPIT cut up wieners at my dog? I am not sure if I will get his attention, but I am quite sure I will get the attention of the trainer, and others in the class.... lol. He doesn't do daycare of the day of class, but we do go for walks. I will cut that out and see if it works. Got to run now, going to spit wieners at my dog. ( I am sooooo sorry I just think its funny )

I just tried spitting cut up wieners at Jefferson. I got his attention. He looked at me in disbelief, and went into the other room. I did try though!

Lol yes we actually spit wieners at that after saying catch. It keeps them focused on our face. Hey whatever works... or change up the bate. Leftover meat can be cut up and frozen and used for class. I also bake liver cookies for class, something that she doesnt normally get
    Last edited by citronella; 05-08-2013 at 10:21 PM.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have never laughed so hard! (I do understand where Citronella was trying to tell you though.) It is also not unusual for a puppy that age to be so unfocused, there are just too many things in this world. You need to try a method, consistently, to see what grabs his attention. I will say if you stay consistent and continue to work with your puppy it does get better.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make fun of the suggestion. It just hit my funny bone, and I guess like Jefferson sometimes it's hard to keep focused. Thanks for the suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast