Help! My pup won't stop jumping on me!

Thread: Help! My pup won't stop jumping on me!

jramos43 is offline Junior Member

ExclamationHelp! My pup won't stop jumping on me!

I have a lab about 5 months old, and as soon as i go outside he starts jumping on me. I know he wants to play and all but he just won't stop at all, he continues to jump on me over and over. And not only that he kind of throws a bite at me too. My mom is "scared" of him cuz of this and i need to calm him down a little. Will he get over this? What can i do to calm him down? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

get thee to a puppy class asap.

he's a baby and you need to train him how to behave. how much training have you done with him?

He will also not calm down, he's just staring to get ramped up energy wise at 5 months. how much exercise is he getting daily?

Four Feet on the Floor: Jumping up behaviour in puppies and dogs | Dog Star Daily
    Jumping For Joy Jackets Jubilance and Just Because | Dog Star Daily
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

How much exercise is he getting and what training have you done with him?

Dogs don't just "get over" behaviors - you want a nicely trained well behaved dog, you need to put in the work to train and put in the time to exercise him.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Love that first link. Did not have time to see the second. But I notice in the first the owner effectively distracts the puppy with herself and her treats and the stranger who wants to pet doesn't really get the face to face interaction and petting most strangers want with your puppy. My puppy. I think this is a key point. You train the puppy to focus on YOU and you use your treats. In reality, when the other person is your sister, puppy's "Grandma" or the very friendly lady across the street it's much harder to do. Those people want face to face hugs and snuggles with your puppy and they don't care if he jumps when he's little and you (I) feel like a big meany by denying them. Really, I think that's almost the hardest part of the whole thing. LOL, my word for not jumping is FEET.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Todd is a "stranger" jumper. As soon as he sees a stranger, he can't get there quick enough. It is very very hard work...but it is worth it and we are coming along. Training classes are really helping. Attention diversion seems to be working the best outside. At home, we do the "place" training and it actually is working well. He sits before any interaction with anyone, including myself. Now when I have a client come in my office, he knows to sit there and wait. A few weeks ago, he was trying to jump over his gate, barking and crying to interact with people.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

jramos43 is offline Junior Member

To be honest he doesn't get much exercise, just what he runs in the backyard. Only thing he knows on command is Speak and Sit, and that only sometimes, there was a time where he would do it right away but he's seemed to have forgotten, even though i do it often. I can't afford to pay for training classes, so what can i do to stop him from doing this? How can i train him?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

you made to bring a lab puppy into your home. that decision means you now need to make time each and everyday to exercise and train that dog - that is what you commited to when you brought the dog home.. you can't not execise a young lab - you need to make time daily for this no if ands or buts. you are not going to get anywhere with training if you don't start exercise and spending time with him (to play AND to train AND to exercise).

you were given info in this thread with tips on how to stop the jumping.

i highly recommend saving and getting into a class.
    Last edited by Tanya; 05-08-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jramos43 View Post
    To be honest he doesn't get much exercise, just what he runs in the backyard. Only thing he knows on command is Speak and Sit, and that only sometimes, there was a time where he would do it right away but he's seemed to have forgotten, even though i do it often. I can't afford to pay for training classes, so what can i do to stop him from doing this? How can i train him?
    Tanya gave you a great link to exactly the training you need above. Can you not see it?