Please help with crate training.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help with crate training.

raycer is offline Junior Member

DefaultPlease help with crate training.

My yellow lab is almost 10 weeks. We only crate him when we have to . The problem is he is continually having bowel movements in the crate and then attempting to flick it out of the crate. Obviously he doesn't like the feces in his bed. Can someone help me with feeding times which will help predict when he will have to go?
    Last night he ate well at 7:00 pm. Slept from 10 pm until 5;30 when I got up. Bowel movement at 5:30 am. Ate right after. bowel movement at 8 am.
    In the crate at 8:20 until I got home at 2:30 to a disaster. He is eating Blue Buffalo puppy and very active and happy. House breaking is going ok when I am here...
    Anyway and help or advice would be great. My previous Golden Retriever never did this once and was house broken almost immediately.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

That's a long time for a puppy to be in a crate without a break. Can you let him out at lunch or hire someone to come over to do that? Are you feeding 2 or 3 times a day?

What is the size of the crate? It needs to be small enough that he can stand and turn around only = no extra space in there.

What have you been cleaning the accidents with? If you are using household cleaner, it will still smell (to him) like a good place to pee/poop. You need to use an enzymatic cleaner like vinegar, peroxide or Nature's Miracle.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how much is he eating and when?

how big is the crate?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It is a large crate. Last night he ate 3/4 cup. 1/2 cup in morning , less than 1/2 cup right now. I cleaned the crate with house, then ammonia, then rinsed.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Have you thoroughly cleaned the crate and bedding with Natures Miracle or a similar enzyme cleaner? If you are feeding him twice a day maybe moving the evening meal closer to 5 or 5:30 might help. At that age I usually fed 3 meals per day, maybe it is just too much food at one time? If you can not easily feed 3 meals, by dividing what you are currently feeding in to 3 smaller meals, and you have thoroughly cleaned the crate and bedding it may help to feed the evening meal earlier. 13 - 14 hours between the meals seems like an awfully long time for a puppy that age.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

34inches x 24 and about 28 inches tall

Ok . I have been feeding 3 times a day, but he eats the most at the last feeding. I will give him less at that time and see what happens.

Ammonia does not work to clean these accidents. Your puppy can still smell previous accidents. As Sharon said, that is a very long time to keep a puppy in a crate without a potty break.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Did the crate come with a divider? The puppy should be able to stand, turn around, lie down - only. If he can shift over into a corner and have lots of open space - it's too big. Use the divider to size it down.

Puppies need feeding schedules - preferably breakfast (6-7 am) lunch (noonish) and dinner (6 pm) or thereabouts. They have very small stomachs and can't manage big meals, but they are growing at a rapid pace so need the calories to keep growing. If you feed on a schedule, they poop on a schedule.

Ammonia is not going to eliminate the smell and just might make it more attractive since urine has ammonia in it. I would switch to vinegar or peroxide.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

What does your puppy weigh? At that age Maxx was eating a total of 3 cups per day, divided into 3 meals. 3/4 of a cup total for the entire day, for a growing 10 week old Lab puppy, does not sound like nearly enough food.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast