training treats?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: training treats?

Freckles is offline Member

Questiontraining treats?

my last question for today...PROMISE!

What do you use for training treats? I am assuming it needs to be something very tasty..but small so they are not overeating? I was given a little bag of puppy cookies as a gift..but they say not to feed more than 2-4 per day, so obviously not a good choice for what I assume will be numerous potty trips outside. Someone told me cut up hot dogs..but I dont let my kids eat that highly processed stuff I dont want to let the dog if I can help it! Are little bits of cheese ok for some treats? What about veggies? (my mother had a dog who loved dried apricots and carrots, her favorite treats) I think the whole food and treat thing is the most overwhelming part of this by far!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I used Cheerios as training treats. He loved them, they were easy to carry, cheap, and low in calories.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I use string cheese and hot hogs as treats. They can be cut up as small as you want, and hold up well in a pocket/treat bag on your hip. I know some who use salami, but to me that has a lot of salt and preservatives. There are also some good liver treat recipes that you home bake, but because I spit treats to my dogs, I won't put them in my mouth.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    I used Cheerios as training treats. He loved them, they were easy to carry, cheap, and low in calories.
    SO this is really like having kids..those were their first foods too LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    I use string cheese and hot hogs as treats. They can be cut up as small as you want, and hold up well in a pocket/treat bag on your hip. I know some who use salami, but to me that has a lot of salt and preservatives. There are also some good liver treat recipes that you home bake, but because I spit treats to my dogs, I won't put them in my mouth.
    thank you..yeah no liver treats in this vegetarians mouth cheese and hotdogs and cheerios now on the shopping list

Sybil88 is offline Junior Member

I was going to subjest cheerios too. Victoria Stilwell uses chicken but im a mother of three and in this economy im going to give my kids chicken before my dog

When Takoda was real little he actually did not like treats I offered. So I used his kibble for a few weeks. That has since changed and he loves other treats now but it worked great for the first few weeks.
    Deep Run Traveling "Takoda" (12/05/12)

Deep Run Easygoing Ezekial "Zeke" (04/13/17)

Quote Originally Posted by Sybil88 View Post
    I was going to subjest cheerios too. Victoria Stilwell uses chicken but im a mother of three and in this economy im going to give my kids chicken before my dog
    We will be trying them for sure!
    I am in a sort of unique position...we are all vegetarian, so we dont have meat in the house. I am fine with getting stuff for the pup...I want to feed him the best food I can but at the same time there are certain things I can't do because they are too upsetting for myself and my oldest daughter (who I am pretty sure will be a vegan when she is a bit older) like sow ears, noses and that sort of thing. (No judgement from me for people who can buy such things, I just cant do it personally) And I have some squeamish issues with raw meat. My husband will cook chicken for him and I can handle it cooked

I use anything from biscuits to cheese or hot dogs sometimes. Also recently made up some of these homemade peanut butter bites from this person's great blog-> Homemade Grain-Free Peanut Butter Bite Dog Treats! - K9 Instinct - Dog Nutritionist and Dog Trainer in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. K9 Instinct Blog! - they're real easy to make and my dogs LOVE them!

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Some veggies and fruit works also. I give mine carrots, green beans, apples and sometimes a piece of banana. I also dehydrate chicken and liver because I refuse to give mine processed treats. Small pieces of cheese work well also. If you are worried about over feeding you can set aside a small portion of his daily kibble to use. If you are going to take the puppy to classes they usually like you to bring treats that they can eat quickly and are of high value to your puppy. Mine will also eat other fruits depending on what is in season.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

joflake is offline Senior Member

You don't have to use meat if you don't want to. I buy little bags of training treats for Dixie, they're very small, only 3 calories. Like the cheerios, they're easy to carry a bunch in your pocket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast