Puppy exercise ?

Thread: Puppy exercise ?

Freckles is offline Member

QuestionPuppy exercise ?

I know I cant take our new pup out to public places or anywhere he can come in contact with unknown dogs until he has all his shots, so I wont be taking him on walks around the neighborhood (LOTS of dogs I do not know, and lots of woods with who knows what out there he can come in contact with) so my plan for exercise until then is 1. on leash play in our own back yard 2. indoor play
    I have a section of our family room about 25 feet by 12 feet space that is going to be puppy playground. The kids can roll balls and such in there for him to practice fetch and the like.
    Does this sound like enough exercise for him? He will be 9 weeks old when he gets home. I want to make sure he gets enough exercise
    Also it is safe to take him to friends houses with dogs that I know are up to date on shots right? My mother has a 7 month old pup and a friend has a 4 month old, plus our neighbors have a full grown golden..I was planning to use these as socialization for Loki..assuming that was a safe idea.
    I am pretty clueless so have been reading a few books adn online but getting overwhelmed LOL We are first time dog owners and I have a ton of questions...any advice is really appreciated! I am excited and also a bit nervous about getting him home! Seriously its as bad as having my first kid..but I had months to prepare mentally and stuff for her...I only have 5 more days to get ready for Loki!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sybil88 is offline Junior Member

I have a puppy myself and I wouldnt worry to much about exposing your puppy to new things. My puppy is three and a half months old and I take her to the dog day care that I work at. She has had 3 boosters for the major canine viruses such as parvo ect.. She has had 1 kennel cough booster and she is doing fine. I actually recommend dog day care(if its affordable) or dog play dates. Taking her around other dogs that you know are safe is great because it socializes her and it gives her lots of exercise. My puppy will come home from being at work with me and sleep for hours. The more you do with your puppy at an early age the better your puppy will be. Id still limit the unknown but at the same time the weather is getting nice and you may want to take your dog out more with the family. I think you should expose your puppy to different things but use good judgement on how much its exposed to. One thing you dont want to do is let your puppy drink from puddles or standing water with out having it's lepto booster. Lepto is caused from urine from raccoons, possums and other wildlife.Lepto can be deadly for dogs and people can catch it to if your not careful. I hope this helps you without adding to much confusion.

thank you. I am a SAHM so pup will spend all his time with me..and I plan to take him with me as many places as possible...which will expose him to known dogs, more kids, and assorted people. We live on the edge of conservation land and there is a lot of wildlife, coyote, bear, fox, racoons, deer, etc so I plan to wait a bit before we go walking around just for my own peace of mind. we will take short walks towards the other end of the street, but there are dogs at every house and I dont know all of them well enough to be 100% comfortable. Most are ok, but there is 1 that I worry about because he is just not very friendly..and he is always off leash too. (we live on a quiet cul-de-sac with a dozen houses, a lot of dogs are off leash all the time, most are very good sweet dogs but there is one that has growled at me and my kids..i dont trust him!)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I completely disagree. Taking puppy with you on errands, etc is awesome BUT you want to make sure he stays in your arms until he had received 3 sets of shots. Same at vets office, inside and out, keep puppy in your arms while there. Because of the abundance of wildlife and dogs in your neighborhood it is important that you keep your puppy in areas not frequented by other dogs, etc. Play dates with dogs belonging to family and friends that you know are fully vetted is awesome! A puppy k class is also a great idea.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 05-06-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Search tos ee if there are puppy clases anywhere neary you ASAP.

Bring him to friend's houses, into stores that are NOT pet stores that allow dogs (some hardware stores), put him in the cart on a blanket you bring. Bring him for car rides.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I completely disagree. Taking puppy with you on errands, etc is awesome BUT you want to make sure he stays in your arms until he had received 3 sets of shots. Same at vets office, inside and out, keep puppy in your arms while there. Because of the abundance of wildlife and dogs in your neighborhood it is important that you keep your puppy in areas not frequented by other dogs, etc. Play dates with dogs belonging to family and friends that you know are fully vetted is awesome! A puppy k class is also a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Search tos ee if there are puppy clases anywhere neary you ASAP.

Bring him to friend's houses, into stores that are NOT pet stores that allow dogs (some hardware stores), put him in the cart on a blanket you bring. Bring him for car rides.

The only dogs he will contact before he has all of his shots are the ones owned by family, and our next door neighbor's golden who I know is well cared for. I already know he cant go to pet stores and the like with me yet. Most of the places I will be taking him are car rides when I am on mom's taxi duty, or family member homes. I am not concerned about the socialization part, I understand that and between my own kids and friends and family's kids and dogs, I think I have it covered. I know it sounds silly but I am looking forward to silly things like having him with me when I drop my oldest off at her gymnastics practice I am more concerned that the indoor play is enough exercise for him now. I know labs need a lot of exercise, but because of the wildlife and dog issue in the neighborhood, I plan to stick to our yard and inside until he has all his shots. Will several rounds of indoor fetch be enough for a puppy to get proper exercise? I know it wears out my moms dog, but its a Bichon so a bit different!

Sybil88 is offline Junior Member

You'll do fine. Puppies are so much fun and it's a learning process. Just make sure that he is vaccinated and parasite free and just enjoy him. Good luck!

oh and I am looking into puppy classes as well!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Allowing him to run and play with your children in your own yard and home along with puppy play dates should be just fine for exercise! I have a feeling your children will play a big part in helping to wear the puppy out. Lab puppies are usually very mouthy and hands and arms tend to be one of their favorite things to chew on. Teaching your children how to deal with this is very important. Everyone should be on the same page as to the method used for this behavior. Have plenty of toys on hand to redirect and walk away from puppy if redirection does not work. Most learn fairly quickly that they lose your attention when what they are doing is inappropriate. Thankfully this stage does not last forever!
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 05-06-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

thank you! The oldest is great and knows what to do already, the younger 2 have a bit of fear of being bit but we have been working on what to do with my moms dog. She was also very very mouthy, and we worked on remaining calm and yelping if the pup mouths them ..then walking away. I plan to start working on bite inhibition asap...that and house training are top priority I think.