my neighbors are not dog friendly people and I need help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my neighbors are not dog friendly people and I need help

lavenderinscence is offline Junior Member

Exclamationmy neighbors are not dog friendly people and I need help

I am absolutely not getting rid of my lab (about 8-9 months old now). Where I live, I have two neighbors to the one side of me. There is a lot of ground, and Fang usually comes when I whistle to him. He's very inquisitive, and like kids and balls. There are no fences or anything between our three houses. When there is anyone outside, he will go over and bark and just see what is going on. I can't break his concentration when he's distracted by new things like kids playing basketball near my home, or if they are out mowing the lawn. He just wants to know what's going on. I have been threatened three times now by both neighbors that my dog looks vicious and they want him no where near his kids. I tried to explain until i was blue in the face that he is not mean at all, and he is in training. His favorite things are ball and kids to play with. I didn't get anywhere, and my other neighbor (who just happens to be the parents of the people with children) has been in court and has been sued for shooting and killing dogs that have wandered onto his property. I don't want to try extreme things like invisible fence or shock collars at all, but when he's focused like that it doesn't matter how well he's done in training- NOTHING breaks his concentration. I am afraid that these people will do something, because of the history and my getting nowhere with civilized conversation. What can I possibly do to keep him from carrying on like he does around distractions? There is a lot of land and a leash would solve the problem absolutely but that is incredibly unfair to him to not let him run at all. He's a lab for crying out loud, that seems like that's all they do is run. Plus he's a puppy, so he's all the more rambunctious. If I leash him, as soon as he's off that leash he'll run anyway. I am so worried. Not to mention the people who lived here before me had a pitbull/boxer that was never leashed and since they did drugs together, not a word was ever mentioned about THAT obviously aggressive looking dog. Boy I need help.
    *Lavenderinscence

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Are you outside with your dog?

A 40' long line attached to your dog would give home some freedom, and still allow you to reel him in when he is distracted by your neighbors. I personally am a fan of ecollars, but you have to know how to use them, and the dog has to be pretty well trained in the basic commands.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

lavenderinscence is offline Junior Member

yes, I go outside with him, and i can keep his attention for about a minute, and then it's off to the races. I have a long lead like that, but he's afraid to be on any leash. He wasn't leash trained when I got him because his previous owners didn't have neighbors and he always came when called. I can't even take him over on a lead and let him see everyone because these people are not only dog prejudice, they are pretty nasty to other people too. What gets me the most about them is that they have a beagle, with about a 6 foot tie out, tied to a dog house. that poor dog stays out there, rain or shine, and never gets to run.
    *Lavenderinscence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Littlejeans is offline Junior Member

Sounds to me like you've had plenty of warning from your neighbors and IMO you need to protect yourself and your puppy. Animals are property where I live and it's really easy to get them taken away if ANYTHING happens. People are super-protective of their human children so don't expect your neighbors or the law to give you a break. Nine months old is just too young to expect 100% recall of your adolescent puppy. I have one the same age right now and we're having a heck of a time and he's been in playgroups and classes weekly since day ONE so I really feel your pain. I'm an apartment dweller myself with no yard. I believe you that your dog is well tempered but sometimes people don't want dogs in their yard: friendly or not. Suggestions: Dog-run if you can't fence your yard(expensive I know), playdates with dog you know for exercise or take him to the nearest park or school where there's a field and tire him out with a tennis ball so he's always sleeping when he's at home. Amazon sells exercise pens for as little as $36. Get two and string them together as a makeshift dog-run when your outside with him so he can be outside too. Maybe after you can get 100% recall through training (after adolescence) you can establish more trust with your neighbors but for now-play it safe so there's no disappointment or incidents. You have no control over your neighbors or what they think or do. Leashing him in your yard may not seem "fair" but it will keep him alive and living with you. Everything changes...kids and dogs grow up....people move away.....you can always hope! Good Luck!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

My suggestion to you is to erect a good fence. It's annoying to your neighbors obviously that your dog is over on their property. It would be to me, also-- I never liked it when my neighbor's dogs used my lawn as a potty, or worse, attacked my dogs prior to fencing. There is no way to win this battle since you are at fault, so unless you want Animal Control at your door issueing citations, you will have to figure out a way to make sure he doesn't bother your neighbors. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Tanya is offline Senior Member

training training training. I'm sorry but as much as I love dogs, I would be highly annoyed if a neighbour's dog randomly came on my property. If he isn't 100% recall he needs to be on a long line, no exceptions. I mean none, not even if they had a dog on their property that he was DYING to play with (I get that this would not happen). He should no go there until you give the ok to go. And the ok should only be given if they invite him.

His age is NO excuse for this. You need to be 100% responsible for him and his actions. I don't care if they are just being "over protective" or if they just plain don't want a dog bothering them on their property - it's their property and their right to not be bothered.

The fact his previous owners didn't leash train him doesn't mean you don't have to nor that it is too late. Start from the beginning. Get a trainer if you need. Work on leash training. Also work on getting and keep his attention. Again, take an obedience class or get a trainer at your home to help.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lavenderinscence View Post
    I am absolutely not getting rid of my lab (about 8-9 months old now). Where I live, I have two neighbors to the one side of me. There is a lot of ground, and Fang usually comes when I whistle to him. He's very inquisitive, and like kids and balls. There are no fences or anything between our three houses. When there is anyone outside, he will go over and bark and just see what is going on. I can't break his concentration when he's distracted by new things like kids playing basketball near my home, or if they are out mowing the lawn. He just wants to know what's going on. I have been threatened three times now by both neighbors that my dog looks vicious and they want him no where near his kids. I tried to explain until i was blue in the face that he is not mean at all, and he is in training. His favorite things are ball and kids to play with. I didn't get anywhere, and my other neighbor (who just happens to be the parents of the people with children) has been in court and has been sued for shooting and killing dogs that have wandered onto his property. I don't want to try extreme things like invisible fence or shock collars at all, but when he's focused like that it doesn't matter how well he's done in training- NOTHING breaks his concentration. I am afraid that these people will do something, because of the history and my getting nowhere with civilized conversation. What can I possibly do to keep him from carrying on like he does around distractions? There is a lot of land and a leash would solve the problem absolutely but that is incredibly unfair to him to not let him run at all. He's a lab for crying out loud, that seems like that's all they do is run. Plus he's a puppy, so he's all the more rambunctious. If I leash him, as soon as he's off that leash he'll run anyway. I am so worried. Not to mention the people who lived here before me had a pitbull/boxer that was never leashed and since they did drugs together, not a word was ever mentioned about THAT obviously aggressive looking dog. Boy I need help.
    Frankly, I don't blame your neighbors for their concern. Your dog is not contained or on a leash and is not under your voice control. You need to be responsible for your dog and not blame others for their reaction.

Obedience training is needed - maybe one on one with a trainer for a period - until you can properly walk him on a leash. Then you need to fence the property somehow if you want him loose outside. Your neighbors have a right to enjoy their property without having to fear your dog - whether that fear is founded or not.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I agree with everything above. This puppy is YOUR responsibility. He should not be left to run loose until you have 100% total recall. Unless you are willing to risk having your dog shot or poisoned you will need to keep him under your control and in your yard. Please keep your precious baby safe.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

bett is offline Senior Member

Sorry but i am a huge advocate for dogs but your dog, no matter how friendly and mellow, doesnt belong in your neighbor's yards.especially, since they dont want it.
    Either get some kind of fence, or run him elsewhere.

Honestly, i love dogs, but i dont want my neighbor's dogs to go in my yard, unless invited in.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

It doesn't matter where you live or who your neighbors are, you have to contain and control your dog. You never know what can happen if your dog visits the neighbors (invited or not). We have a member that allows their dog to visit the neighbors (she is welcomed), but came home with a rat/mouse poison container in her mouth. You never know!

I live in the country on a private road with only 3 houses. All of us have dogs, and all of us keep our dogs in our yards. One house has a traditional fence, one only takes their dog out on a leash, and we have an invisible fence (it is not an extreme solution). We all love dogs, we have talked about our love of dogs, we grieved together when a neighbor's dog died. We still don't want each others dogs wandering into our yards uninvited. People shouldn't have to worry about walking past your house and having to deal with your dog. People shouldn't have to be bothered by your dog when they are in their yard. My "leash" neighbors have a Boston Terrier that isn't very dog friendly. When they walk by with her, and Bauer is outside, sometimes the man will come in the yard to greet Bauer while the woman walks the dog past the house. He doesn't bother them though. He just stands about 5 ft. from the invisible fence line and watches them. If they greet him, it is their choice.

There is a pitbull that lives on the main road, and I avoid walking that way because the dog is annoying. People shouldn't have to alter their lives because of your dog.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast