Best Chew Toys for 10 week old Puppy!

Thread: Best Chew Toys for 10 week old Puppy!

cassandra.m is offline Junior Member

DefaultBest Chew Toys for 10 week old Puppy!

My 10 week old puppy seems to be so picky with her chew toys i need help!

She has no interest in her Kong or Nylabone. She loved her Nylabone Lamb and apple Edible chew but she finished it in a day! She really loves big sticks from outside but I dont want her chewing on those.

Any suggestions on a good toy that will keep her busy but last me more then a day?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by cassandra.m; 04-26-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    Cassandra

.Lady.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

The softer Nylabone rubber like bones were a favorite of Maxx's. Not the real hard ones! He also had a set of Nylabone "keys" on a ring he just loved. Maxx did not have much interest I'm the regular Nylabone toys or the Longs unless they had goodies in them!
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 04-26-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

cassandra.m is offline Junior Member

The soft rubber Nylabone is the one we bought her, I will have to look for the keys! i think she likes the crunch and breaking of the sticks/bones!
    Cassandra

.Lady.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Yep. For some reason sticks are very attractive to puppies! Maxx is almost 2 and carries a stick in his mouth after potty time, all the way home, as proud as can be! Fortunately he does not chew them up any more, he leaves it on the porch by the kitchen door. What about the Nylabone toys that are covered in tennis ball like material? The Nylabone Wubba toy was also a favorite. It had a tough fabric cover and we still have several floating around. They are very durable.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

I can only really recommend what's already out there like Kong and Nylabone toys. It's good to have a good selection of toys for your puppy so he/she can choose what they want to play with and it helps to discourage destructive chewing.

Since you say your puppy likes to chew on sticks, there is a Nylabone that looks and has texture just like a stick, DuraChew Hollow Stick. I have one of these and my Shepherd loves it, it's bacon-flavored.

Also, for something that lasts a long time I heard deer and elk antlers last a good while. They come in all different sizes for smaller or larger dogs. All natural and cleans their teeth, though a little pricey at most stores, but you can find them cheaper online.
    Last edited by Thesilentone; 05-03-2013 at 08:50 PM.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would not allow my dogs to chew on anything with a tennis ball fabric cover. It is really abrasive and will ruin their teeth. Mine have always chewed on the hard Nylabones. Even now - both of them will pick up a nylabone and chew on it for a while and they are 4 and 7. I don't buy anything else.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

finlaychoclab is offline Junior Member

Reindeer antler saved us! It lasted for ages as well!

FLEA is offline Member

I have never seen antlers down here where I live. We have always used cow hooves, nylabones and Kongs. I will have to look for antlers or look on line.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Todd is 4 1/2 months and I have a hard time finding appropriate and affordable chew toys for him too. BUT here is what his stash consists of now: JW Bad Cuz hard rubber squeaky toy, this was a hand-me-down and its still going strong. Regular red and black kongs filled with plain yogurt, kibble, carrot and peanut butter - frozen. Keeps him busy for awhile. Orbee Tuff Bone - again its a hard/chewy rubber toy. Kong wubba - has a tough fabric around it - not tennis ball material, he tears it off in minutes. And his favorite is a deer antler. He chews it all the time. He plays with the stuffed squeaky toys too, but they don't last long and I don't let him alone with them. I browse Big Lots and the dollar stores to find cheap stuffed toys, otherwise, I'd be broke! Good luck!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

cillovely is offline Senior Member

Have you tried the stuffable Kong toys to stuff with food and treats. That's how I feed Siren. Just measure out his food and then stuff what I can in three seperate kongs. When he's done I'll put what didn't fit in the first one he finishes off.

He loves to pick up sticks too. We recently had a tree taken down and the stump ground. Man I was pulling sticks and chips out of his mouth for days! Thankfully all gone now.