Pup coming home in two weeks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pup coming home in two weeks!

Gbees Zoo is offline Junior Member

DefaultPup coming home in two weeks!

Thanks for sparing a moment. We recently had a 10 week Husky/Lab, beloved, but we found out she had a severe birth defect. Needless to say we are still ready to add to our family.

As it has been 12 years since my last two Labs, I "may" have forgotten some puppy training basics so if anyone has a moment to give out some sage advice it would be greatly appreciated! Our newest girl is a Brindle coloured Lab from what I can see by some research and let me tell you, I was shocked! As you can see by her picture. I have approximately 4 weeks max to train my self. The house is good so just me that needs some help.
    Thank you ahead of time!

image.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

sorry about your previous pup, how sad. congrats on the new pup.

stick up on rest and relax! get a crate and and sign up for puppy classes.

brindle lab? is this what the breeder said or is this a mix? (the markings on the pup don't look like brindle?)
    Last edited by Tanya; 04-26-2013 at 07:11 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gbees Zoo View Post
    Thanks for sparing a moment. We recently had a 10 week Husky/Lab, beloved, but we found out she had a severe birth defect. Needless to say we are still ready to add to our family.

As it has been 12 years since my last two Labs, I "may" have forgotten some puppy training basics so if anyone has a moment to give out some sage advice it would be greatly appreciated! Our newest girl is a Brindle coloured Lab from what I can see by some research and let me tell you, I was shocked! As you can see by her picture. I have approximately 4 weeks max to train my self. The house is good so just me that needs some help.
    Thank you ahead of time!

image.jpg
    First - welcome to the board. There is a lot of good info here about raising puppies and we are always happy to answer questions.

Comments:

That's probably not a brindle coat. I had a brindle puppy once and she did not look like that. Looks more 'tipped' like you would see on some German Shepherds. She is a very cute puppy. Is she supposed to be pure bred?

What happened to the puppy with the birth defect?
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 04-25-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Is this puppy from a reputable breeder? I have never seen such coloring. She is absolutely adorable though.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on your puppy, she is adorable! Are you going to crate her? If you search around these forums there are lots of posts that you can click through that offer some amazing advice! I usually search through when I have some free time.. often you come across things you wouldn't have even thought to ask about before!

The breeder said "unique", the rest is all me
    I check thousands of pictures of Brindle labs online and I only saw a couple with markings close to what she looks like. most I am sure would have been put down for inaccurate colouring. The parents are supposed to be pure bred Labrador- father, Labrador- bitch.
    However the owner said that some people that see the mother said she looks like she has a little Collie- Lab? In her.
    I have not seen any of the litter or the parents as I do not travel well and they are 3 hours away. As for reputable, backyard likely as no mention of CKC registered or papers/"tat". I asked. Her ad did change after I spoke of the Brindling as she updated to say "2 Black pups left with black body/ brown face". I am planning to crate her but have not had a lot of experience with that.
    My Lab/Husky "Cook-E" had one, possibly 2 Ectopic Ureters from the ultrasound results so after stalling for 4 weeks (we got her at 6 weeks and I noticed the extra dripping that first week, she was a runt but was growing very well). We had her euthanized on Friday . Hard decision as I was getting used to mopping every 10 minutes but her quality of life did not have a good prognosis 50/50 and we wanted her to have a happy life. We loved her dearly for the short time she was with us.

Thank you Tanya, Tammy, Double T and Big Brown D!

Thank you Tanya!

Are you open to supporting a reputable breeder or a rescue instead? Or is it a done deal for this puppy?

reputable isn't about "registered" vs "unregistered" but about breeding for health and temperment to ensure the lab has appropriate labby temperment and that it is healthy (via clearances on hips, elbows, eyes, heart, etic, cmn).

Well, the puppies are from purebred's, supposedly. She did not say they had been vet checked, so not likely. Very nervous about this as she is a 3hour drive. This is only the second time we have gone to someone other than the rescue to get a pup. Our SPCA has very inconvenient hours and only open 4 days a week. I thought about the Greyhound rescue for ex-racing dogs but my H said way too big a dog..... I know, hearts rush in translates to fool...

going with a breeder is great but you have to do your research and find a reputable one. The one you mention is a back yard breeder. they don't even know if the female is pure bred and the puppy is clearly a mix. There are MUCH better options. We can help you and even recommend reputable breeders based on your general location.

Vet check means nothing, all our dogs should be checked by the vet yearly or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast