Maybe Two was a mistake???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe Two was a mistake???

dooleysmom is offline Junior Member

UnhappyMaybe Two was a mistake???

boys3.jpgboys.jpgboys2.jpg

We lost our 7 year old lab last year. He was the love of our life. When we decided it was time to get another puppy we talked about it and decided to get two brothers. We thought they would keep each other company for the 4 hours that neither my husband or I work.

They are now 8 months old. I'm beginning to think we may have made a mistake.... The larger of the two is bullying his smaller brother. This just started about 2 weeks ago. He won't let him have any treats. If we leave them alone he won't allow him to eat. He started by growling and biting him. Now I see him give his brother the evil eye. The smaller one has gotten to the point that he stands in the corner and won't even try to eat.

The larger one has also begun digging holes in the walls of the their room. We have never crated a dog in our house and we have never had any issues. We have a room that they are confined to and on nice days they have a beautiful kennel and run that they use.

I need any help I can get.

Thank you,
    Susan
    Last edited by dooleysmom; 04-25-2013 at 04:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

It isn't uncommon for siblings to turn on each other. They are starting to approach maturity - starting with the teenage phase. It also is common for littermates to develop opposite personalities, over compensating for each other (one super timid, the other super outgoing).

Start crate training. Just because some dogs do fine without them doesn't mean all do. For his own safety.

If one is picking on the other that badly, they should NOT be left together unattended. So either separate rooms or seperate crates. If one is being a bully it is very unfair to leave them together any longer. I would not kennel them outside together, they need separate runs in the outdoor kennel.

Did you seperate them at all for bonding (to humans), training or socialization ? Either way, start now. walk one leave the other at home. bring one for a ride leave the other at home.

You need to take charge now. You are the boss here, don't let the older one bully. Not even the evil eye. Step in. correct. separate.

Start training them separately - get into obedience classes (seperate ones) with each boy.
    Last edited by Tanya; 04-25-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thank you Tanya, I will take your advice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Silktap is offline Member

I agree entirely with Tanya. I have 4 Labradors all male and you have to take charge. Labradors are very smart and intuitive they spot a weakness they will be all over it...and usually one will aways want to be dominating but you need to be the boss...and the boys need to know that and they learn quickly!

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

I don't have experience in this department, but from what I have read on here, I would 100% go with the advice that Tanya gave you! Good luck! They are very handsome dogs

Samson is offline Senior Member

Years ago, I joined this forum for advice on a similar issue.

I had introduced a puppy to my house and I already had an 8 year old.

Everything was fine until the puppy hit the 12 months, and then he started attacking my old boy to the extent that there was blood flying. On one occasion, I tried to intervene to stop my old boy from being attacked and I got bitten myself - purely by accident and ended up in hospital for three days with cellulitis.

I tried a behaviourist and he was as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike. The only thing that stopped it was castration of the youngster and the turn around was almost immediate and I never had the same problem again.

It's slightly different in your case though and just by training the dogs seperately and feeding them seperately maybe this will solve your problem. Getting two dogs of the same age always has it's own unique problems.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I tried a behaviourist and he was as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike

^^^^^ ^^^^^^

LOL.

I want to thank each of you for your advice and comments. It means a lot when someone takes a moment of their time to help.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

^^A lot of good advice. I have always had multiple dogs and never had trouble with fighting or bullying because I come down hard on them at the first sign of a non-play growl or evil eye. They always eat together and never touch another's bowl until the other steps away.

I want to thank each of you for your advice and comments. It means a lot when someone takes a moment of their time to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast